Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New to H.A.M.B model A v8 Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Oiled_Shea, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

So I just wanted to say Hello, I am new to this board and the early hot rod world.. I have been building motorcycles and working on pre '84 Harley's for a while now but this is my first Model A.

I am building a 1930 model a pick up. It will be built in a "traditional" fashion with a 1949-53 Mercury Flathead. a '39 transmission, 32 k member.

I am currently, collecting parts and setting up the frontend and finding the correct spacing for the engine mounts.
    59382807394__A70A0FAC-6BDB-4532-8518-0FC02ADAD460.JPG 59382807394__A70A0FAC-6BDB-4532-8518-0FC02ADAD460.JPG IMG_9120.JPG IMG_8911.JPG

2. Me likey.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Dino 64 and Oiled_Shea like this.
  3. gas man

gas man
    from socal

very nice. looks like a great start. I'm in the same boat as you.

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  4. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

5. brady1929

brady1929

Welcome

6. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

patmanta and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Hi Ya, man that K member looks awesome ...nice find

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Nice start. Flathead is the way to go for a cruiser. Be sure to box that frame.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Welcome! Great looking start. Looks like you're collecting the right components.

10. walter

walter

Welcome! Looks like you have done some home work. I used the same drive line in my roadster. Definitely get the Vern Tardel Book and stay close to the HAMB. If you need I jave a lot of pictures and measurements. Looks like a great build thread!

Oiled_Shea and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Rick Phillips

Rick Phillips

I’m new too w a 31 coupe, nice build. Like the flathead. Keep at it.

12. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

HI, I will be keeping an eye on this one , just got my A coupe and collecting parts just now slightly more modern -327 ,muncie and quick change with a 4" dropped axle .

belair, Oiled_Shea and studebaker46 like this.
  13. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

nice start.

14. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. I'm sure you already know not all info you may find will apply to your specific needs. These are about as basic a build as a guy can get into. It is possible to make it over kill and difficult. I believe in the K.I.S.S. method and when in doubt just stop a bit and think about things for yourself. If you've been building Old Harley's you've already learned a few lessons about advise. Here's my work in progress 30 Roadster. It's Channeled 6" and will end up full fendered. No, my frame is not boxed. I don't remember that being a must do till the 70's. Ya, I've been at it since before then.
    20151023_094150.jpg P.S. I don't think like normal people or follow the new rules.

15. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Building my second V8 A with a flathead, my avatar and now a 30 Sport Coupe. Used a lot of the ideas out of the Tardel book on both of them, always run into unexpected problems but that's just part of building old cars. Also have a 30 banger powered pickup, will be interested in seeing the finished car.

Attached Files:

• fh2.jpg
      fh2.jpg
      File size:
      159.5 KB
      Views:
    • f7.jpg
      f7.jpg
      File size:
      140.3 KB
      Views:
    • shop2r.jpg
      shop2r.jpg
      File size:
      231.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

Very cool! Look forward to seeing progress! Looks like you’re off to a great start! I just swapped a v8 in my coupe. Still lots I want to do but it’s almost ready for the road. Definitely a fun build! Lots of good info on here as well.

17. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

So I Have my first question.. I am running a 1940 rear end. The spring perches are behind the axle. Is there a reason I cannot keep it this way? Run the 1940 style spring behind the axle and when I step up the frame I can just extend it to make up the necessary gap? Keep in mind I am running a bed so I was going to step up the Frame right behind the cab or inside the cab to hide the step up. My intention with running a spring behind and stepping up the frame near the cab is to keep the frame flat under the bed for most of the length. I also want to be able to easily adjust my juice brakes, and have heard the spring over option can get in the way?

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  18. No problem, You really may not need to step the Frame, just add appropriate length. My Roadster posted above runs 36 rear Axle and 39 Front. Stock overall wheelbase. My floors are flat from deck lid to firewall.

19. P.S. I run the Model A spring but a 40 will work just fine with proper spring mount.

20. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

You've got the right idea. Mocking everything up is key before you permanently weld anything. You could also flip your axle bells and keep your stock crossmember in place this would move the spring in front of the axle.

21. Agree that spring in front can be done. Then you need to move the spring mount forward in your case. Also be aware that mounting Wish Bones or anything else has to share the same space. It gets real congested real fast.

22. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

Thank you guys, Yes I am planning on running the model A spring on the 1940 axle, with a reversed eyelid and a few less springs. That should lower the rear a few inches. I will mock up this up before I cut anything on the frame.

23. My Roadster chassis didn't start life as just one nice Frame. It's many pieces put aside from many years of building chassis for other vehicles. I had a good front section and a nice rear section and lengthened the rails overall with one joint. I kind of get a kick out of this photo. It's been posted here many times over the years. Just bits and pieces set aside.
    Nov 2011 x 3 005.jpg
    Here it is up on wheels. Everything about it started life at the Ford plant. No hand fab stuff.
    Closer; 002.jpg

24. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

Oh Nice, I was wondering what you had done, haha. I saw your picture, and notice the engine was further back.. figured the frame was a bit longer..

25. It's a strange mix for sure. The motor is actually a bit forward from most A-V8's I let the Clutch/Brake pedals tell me where to locate the 37 X member. The Rad is mounted in stock front crossmember holes but it has been moved forward to compensate for the Spring in front Axle I used. Again, the wheel base is exact to stock Model A. This made a longer motor compartment by I think it was 4.5" if my memory is right. Crossmember is in stock rivet location.

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  26. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Talk to me about the sedan in the last picture!

27. Are you asking about one of my posts?

28. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

I've been down sick for a few days, keeping me from the truck.. But I headed down to Massachusetts and picked up the 1940 Banjo rear end. I was waiting to finalize the engine mounts figuring I needed to locate the rear end. That being said I need to cut down the drive shaft anyhow. I think I finally have the engine where it needs to be 6 1/2 inches center to center from the radiator mounting hole to the front engine mount. I am not going to run that radiator, it is too large but I wanted to see where the fan might be for clearance.

I won't weld in the from mounts until I am done cutting down the 32 k member. and locate that. My measurement set the engine a bit further back then the Vern Tardel book suggests, but that is probably due to the truck style water pumps, and the 49-53 Merc. engine. I think they use a 59a engine for their measurements.
    E473D6E8-02B1-46DF-9370-4F68D880A4C3.jpg IMG_9333.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and Phil55Kratz like this.
  29. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

I have been searching but have not found a thread on Model A frames. Does anyone know of one? if so can you point me in that direction. I am just curious to see how others have set up the rear section of their frames.

Thanks

30. I don't know of anything deadicated to just Model A rear end set up's. Generally it's just look at what I did on a post or can you help in the headings on a build. Lot's of different angles done here on many different builds over the years. You might try the Search option and just look for Model A rear suspension or something like that.

Oiled_Shea likes this.