Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Speed shop names

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 17, 2019.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

When I was a kid had one in town midnight auto parts. Had everything speed wise he was open till midnight by the way.

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

I vote for keeping it simple and not trying to be too cutsie. How about Bo Speed ?

Lynn

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Watch out for 'initials' traps', Boden. Think of 'Boden Speed..."B.S."
    Now, gaze into my slight error with MY shop name.

'Atwater Speed and Sport'. Catchy. But the initials look like ass....

4. Budget36

Budget36

Thing is, if you're good, name won't matter. Focus on the details, not the name of your shop.

5. The "phone" book pages are used to mix paint for pinstriping and lettering.........I thought everyone knew that

joeycarpunk likes this.
  6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

& then there's the "tag" line(s):
    We don't do: "Planned Obsolescence"
    It's done right the 1st time, so you only need it done once. Sorry!
    Marcus..,.

7. Boden

Boden

I completely understand and agree. Everyday I go there Eric teaches me something new. Whether it’s learning how to read a mic or how to mill a head or build a big block. I juts was curious what to call it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

KKrod likes this.
  8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Some times less is more, look at all those great intake manifolds and heads for flathead engines from the past, Navarro, Wayne, Evans, the list is long. Your name alone will be associated with quality.
    Think in terms of 20 years from now, if this all works out, how cool it will be to see people wearing T-shirts with whatever " BODEN " logo or mascot you have designed. Sometimes, just your name alone with a very distinctive font and style of lettering can make your brand stand out and be recognized. Albert Champion is a great example!

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

That is the point I was attempting to make a few posts back. Who says "Ford Motor Company"?....they just say "Ford". Same with "Daytona International Speedway"....it's just known as "Daytona". People will shorten the name of a company or place and will identify with that short version. Any more in the name is clutter and wasted. Who would ever say "Google Voluntary Personal Information Gathering Company"?

Lynn

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  10. Just one guys opinion on speed parts.Customers will have far more problems than stock parts.You will hear about it.We tried selling Performance parts at a parts store I worked at.Wasnt worth the grief.Every guy who buys has his idea of what the part will do.They order a collection of parts that operate at different RPM ranges,and then come back upset because the car is slower that it was before they got started.If you sell speed parts you will have to head off their disaster ,or live with it when they come back.Just one guys experience.

Boden and Hnstray like this.
  11. I Have to give you My 3.5 cents
    1. get a Good Accountant....!
    ask him 1 simple Q.. How much is 1+1 if he say's 2
    You Don't Want Him.
    Move on to somebody that Say's (whatever you want)
    2. A GOOD Lawyer..!
    3. Name it what ever you want.............?
    When I had my Shop I used Part of my First Name!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

arkiehotrods and Boden like this.
  12. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Boden Roddin & Machining

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    saltflats likes this.
  13. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

How about, Boden's "The Need For Speed" Shop

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

One very close to my house The Death Row Speed Shop!

15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"B" Fast Headquarters

17. KKrod

KKrod

Boden Parts and Machine

Hot rod parts and machine

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  18. KKrod

KKrod

Boden speed and machine.

Thinking of some of the names I like are, Hot Rod Works, Wilson Welding and Machine, Lime works, etc.

HotRodWorks likes this.
  19. Rick Phillips

Rick Phillips

At least you have time to think of a few and change your find a few times too. Whatever you pick what will matter the most is your work, that keeps them coming back.

20. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

"BODEN SPEED & CUSTOM"

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  21. gigem

gigem

I agree with not picking a cutesy or stupid name.

Potential problem with using your name is that if you ever want to sell the business, your name can be a problem for the buyer. Just like you and Eric's name.

If it had a killer name now, you would be keeping it, no?

Short and sweet and simple.

Maybe use the name of your town?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

22. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

What ever you chose for your signage, do yourself a favor and have it proofread. Nothing more embarrassing than to have a typo in your shingle! I had a shop in my old tool route that proclaimed expertises in “Foreign Auto Repair” but foreign was misspelled!

23. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Post a picture of you in front of this machine shop that you are expecting to inherit.

24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Century Speed Shop Since The Dragster Turned 99.99 First Time Out... HERB BAKER(FUBAR) 2015 002.JPG

302GMC likes this.
  25. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^
    Century's chopped & channeled '32 Ford pickup came thru Idaho Falls late one night for gas at the gas station where we had stopped for stove oil. My dad had to physically drag me back to the car … I was 8 or 9.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like names that reflect and take pride in your town or region. Some local examples off the top of my head worthy of respect;
    Portland Transmission, classic shop, you know what they do and where to find them.
    Oregon Spring, nuff said
    Vancouver Nut and Bolt, without argument the greatest nut and bolt joint anywhere!

In a day of internet parts and crate motors maybe a little hometown pride plays well. And when you are successful and decide to sell the name of the company that is on thousands of hats and shirts doesn't have to change. Worth a thought.

27. It would be better to have a name very much focused on your main business. If it's a machine shop, say so. If it's a speed shop that does machining of engine parts, etc., say that. If you do other things that are merely incidental don't confuse your bread and butter customers and don't distract your crew from whatever pays your bills. By all means have a hobby. And hobbies can turn into businesses sometimes. But don't confuse a business that makes a profit with a hobby that doesn't.

But if you insist (on a lighter note), how about Aunt Tique's and Uncle Junk's Speed Shop and Screen Door Company? :D

28. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

A slight tweak on your original idea-

"Blast to the Past"

Slightly related:

There is a shop near my old house called "Lowes Island Auto Repair Service"

I'll let you guys guess the acronym.

29. Your profile says you're 14. And, at that age, I know all of the information flooding in right now can feel overwhelming. But it's cool, take a deep breath. It's all right here in this thread for you to refer back to when you're ready. So here's a note for the future you:

If I were in your shoes, I would have to look at how established the shop is now. I mean, is it making money right now? Does it have a steady stream of customers? Is the current team of employees content, productive, and have what they need to do a good job for you?

Might be easier, in the beginning, to just advertise "under new management" and keep the established name the local folks are used to, rather than trying to scare up new clientele for a joint nobody has heard of, run by a guy nobody knows.

Once you've established yourself and your name, then change the business' name. I mean, you have to eat and pay the bills, and as a start-up that can be damned near impossible.

As mentioned, try to stay clear of cutsie or kitschy names. Stick with what you think would look good in an ad or painted on a drag car... etc.

Simple is better. Less is more, so to speak. Nothing fancy or cute is needed. At the end of the day, what you have to sell is what you do. Just make sure your name is attached to it, and make sure the name attached to it means something. ;)

Boden Tuning and Machine
    Boden's Machine Works
    Boden Precision Machine
    Boden Enterprises
    Boden...

As far as logo design, think of the graphic design implications before you commit. The company name and logo should mesh together seamlessly and not fight for placement. And again, less is more. Think about things that can be printed in one color (maybe two) and look good printed big and small. All of this stuff costs big money and is one of the things nobody thinks about in the beginning.

Oh... and as mentioned, you need an accountant and a lawyer.

Good luck, my young friend. Make sure you frame that first dollar. You only make it once. ;)

41 GMC K-18 likes this.