Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Thing About the Bayou Round Up...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Great shots everyone! Looks like a super gathering. Since the event was in Louisiana, I have to ask: After seeing the guy with the accordion, there must have been some great Zydeco music being played, huh?
    A friend of mine got me hooked on Zydeco years ago. I guess the fact I have been around Mexican mariachi music at Quinceaneras, wedding anniversaries and many family gatherings since I was small, that made Zydeco a natural for me. For those of you that have never heard it, you're missing out!
    Here's a few videos of one of the giants of Zydeco, Mr. Clifton Chenier.

Sorry @Ryan, didn't mean to derail the post. Back to the great show coverage..........E

loudbang, Surfcityrocker and Sancho like this.
  2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful custom shoebox, Ryan. First time but not last for Lafayette. It reminds me of the REVOLUTION. Remember the REVOLUTION, in Austin ? Hint, hint !

loudbang likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like one of those bucket list events.

A couple of familiar West coast cars in the mix including the Black 38 Ragtop that is one well traveled car.

4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-28_3-22-4.png
    Hello R,

I like the way your photos are a little different than most that have been posted. Inside of big arenas, it is hard not to get light spots reflecting on the paint. The background of most photos show obstructing items into the design. So, my favorite photo and car of the show was the black roadster against an orange/red wall and had those cool spun Moon Discs.

The whole set up, accidental or not, was a great photo from any angle. I suppose we have all seen black roadsters, so it must have been the stance, and those Moon Discs as a traditional roadster in all of its glory. (also, it looks like “set up” day prior to the masses of people coming to the show.)

In those early So Cal days, the main hot rod/custom car shows were held inside of the two big arenas. The old, Sports Arena in LA, near the Coliseum, and the Sports Arena in Long Beach.
    upload_2019-10-28_3-23-11.png L.A. SPORTS ARENA now demolished…

We were fortunate to also see the shows in the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium before it was attached to the newly constructed Sports Arena in 1961-62 and demolished years later. Our H.S. graduating class was able to have the last ceremony in the old Municipal Auditorium, on the same floor as the hot rod shows. By the next year, the shows moved permanently to the new Sports Arena, next door.
    upload_2019-10-28_3-24-0.png upload_2019-10-28_3-24-24.png L.B. Auditorium 1905 built
    upload_2019-10-28_3-25-1.png
    L.B. Municipal Auditorium… Demolished in 1975 LB Sports Arena built 1961-62

Jnaki
    Those arena lights do play games with photos, some look good and others become too overpowering. So, kudos to you and the great photos from the Bayou Arena. I liked the format of the show.

LTM75110, OG lil E and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  5. Great Photos. With the size of the arena it almost looks like a model car show.

BLAKE and OG lil E like this.
  6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My little red Deuce highboy had to stay outside at the Blackham where the music was the best blues I've ever heard, so next year I will wash it and maybe earn some inside time ! LOL. The guitar players just kept walking onto the stage and knocking us out with their performances. I can't recall all their names, but Bobby Broussard, Sonny the slide player, and Ricky Romero, played the frets off their "axes". Killer, killer show.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  7. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

It should come as no surprise to anyone, that any show put on by the Kontinentals is going to be awesome. Medical problems kept me from going this year,otherwise i wouldn't have missed it. It is such a low key event that it is very relaxing. I love the Roundup, but i always feel rushed to try and see everything there. You never feel that way with this show. I too think the coliseum helps make the event. You always have a cool seat out of the weather anytime you want it. When it is hot outside, it feels like it is 20 degrees cooler in the coliseum. Do yourself a favor and put this show on your list.

BLAKE likes this.