Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sidewinder Dragsters some history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Oct 17, 2019.

1. loudbang

loudbang

No sorry I don't know :(

2. wisdonm

wisdonm

Interesting mechanicals. Thanks for sharing.

loudbang likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

1964 Jim Sivenpiper, from Buffalo, NY, and money buddy brother Dan fashioned this slick sidewinder. The S&M Speed Shop product was Chrysler Hemi-powered, featuring very clean construction. At the 1964 Nationals, where these images were taken, it bogged at the starting line and failed to qualify. The chain-drive hauler ultimately ran low 9s at 170mph.

10a.jpg

10b.jpg

10c.jpg

4. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Man those things show a lot of creative thinking. Thanks Loudbang!

loudbang likes this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

Bonus photo from the Eric Rickman photo thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/eric-rickman-photos-for-hot-rod.1171038/

Builder Kent Fuller Demonstrates The Advantageous Weight Distribution Of The High Tech Magwinder For Owner Chuck Jones. The Entire Chassis And Most Of The Body Were Built From Magnesium By Fuller And Wayne Ewing. Construction Photos Appeared In An NHRA Nationals Preview Of Race Cars Purportedly Heading To Detroit, Although This Was Not Among The Entrants.

48 email   SIDEWINDERS.jpg

6. loudbang

loudbang

1964 There were a number of Pontiac Tempest 4-banger sidewinder dragsters built, including Norm Leonard’s 262ci example from the 1964 Bakersfield March Meet. The Tempest engine featured an Isky cam, Hilborn injection, and Scott fuel pump; and was chain-driven. Best time was 10.87.

11a.jpg

11b.jpg

11c.jpg

7. rgdavid

rgdavid

Xi wonder what these solid back axle dragster handled like ?

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  8. Looks like VW wheels (mounted backwards) and VW hubs on that 4-cylinder Tempest dragster.

loudbang likes this.
  9. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

i wonder what these solid back axle dragster handled like ?
    Great in a straight line. But I'd guess those short wheelbase cars didn't often go straight.

loudbang likes this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

1961: Ted Cyr and Emery Cook were staples of drag racing, winning the 1958 NHRA Nationals. For 1961 they concocted this strange-even-for-sidewinders dragster.

Former NHRA Director of Competition Steve Gibbs has described it as an “evil handling experiment.” The nitro small block Chevy spun a direct-drive setup incorporating a driveshaft geared off of a V-drive into the odd side-slung quickchange, in an obvious attempt to experiment with gear ratios.

Transferring torque from the quickchange to the right side slick must have created some twist, creating potential spooky runs.

12a.jpg

12b.jpg

12c.jpg

12d.jpg

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Horizontally opposed four cylinder engines have real good primary balance, as the pairs of pistons moving opposite each other cancel the forces of each other, just like the air cooled Volkswagen. Refer to the image below of a 100ci McCullogh drone reciprocating assembly. In this image the two cylinders on the right would fire simultaneously, then 180 crank degrees later the left two would fire. When they fire the paired pistons/rods are basically pushing against each other which results in very little vibration.
    Drone Crank.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  12. loudbang

loudbang

1961 The Stu’s AE Transmission sidewinder from Long Beach, California. One of the only automatic trans sidewinders we are aware of, the small block Chevy runs a 4-speed Hydro sliced in the middle of its case, with a fab’d case aft of the slice for adapting the chain-driven output shaft. Interestingly it accepts a complete stock Hydro pan. A larger gear attached to the rear wheel completes the complicated drive system. As there are no other images of this rig we assume the old handling gremlins kept this effort from making any dent in the sidewinder attempts continuing to trickle into drag racing around this time.

13a.jpg

13. loudbang

loudbang

From Here: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrxp-1107-1960-eric-rickman-vintage-hot-rod-photos/#hrxp-1107-1960-eric-rickman-vintage-hot-rod-photos-300

Eric Rickman Folded Himself Into This Basket To Shoot What Was Arguably The Lightest And Most Advanced Top Gas Dragster Of Its Era.

hrxp-1107-1960-eric-rickman-vintage-hot-rod-photos-301.jpg

With Jack Chrisman Aboard, Chuck Jones’ Third Sidewinder Floated Across Lions’ Scales At Just 1,443 Pounds. A Laid Over Engine Mounting Put The Body’s Highest Point Within 30.5 Inches Of The Ground. For Some Unexplained, Surely Intentional Reason, Rickman’s Four Rolls Included Not A Single Engine Shot—unheard Of In A Race Car Feature. Whereas A Blown Chrysler Had Appeared In Construction Photos.

14.jpg

That's all I have folks. Feel free to post any more sidewinders you find.

14. jpm49c

jpm49c

Speed+Sport+Roadster.jpg Arizona Speed Sport

15. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

One of my all-time FAVORITE drag racing cars; gorgeous, but not a sidewinder.

UserFiles-image-2016-Daily%20Features-Friday-015.jpg Turney-Photo-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. 296ardun

296ardun

Great post...I have never seen these photos before. There was another step in the Sidewinder career that I never knew until I found it in Drag News. Cyr and Hopper were also briefly involved in the Sidewinder" sidewinder first.jpg

loudbang, Hombre, RMR&C and 1 other person like this.
  18. Stanley Muller

Stanley Muller

Hello all,

I recently inherited a sidewinder with a stock Chrysler 354 hemi, a couple 671 blowers, and 2 pair of mag wheels.

From what I was told it made a couple passes around 165 mph and ran straight as an arrow.

I am not too sure if this car has any significance so I am unsure if it would be best to finish the restoration or part it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sharpone likes this.
  19. SS327

SS327

How about some pictures and more information on the car so we could help you. It may be some missing link or famous car?

20. Fabrizio

Fabrizio
    from Italy

God Morning everyone,I am Fabrizio from Italy.I am a big fan of drag racing.I really like dragster cars whit sidewinder engine ,a few days ago I saw this car on internet,can anyone give me more information,thanks,I just know that the driver is Ed Tradup.

Attached Files:

Hombre likes this.
  21. Volksrob

Volksrob

Thanks for that imformative post!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Volksrob

Volksrob

They would have been very "interesting" at the very least.