Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model a coupe 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman41, Nov 1, 2019.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

When I was riding around the other day I saw a model a done like a 3 window has any body here done this? Pictures would be cool.

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There have been a couple of threads on somebody o n here doing this to an A but I don't recall seeing any of them completed.

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

I did a search and didn’t find any.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

A few years ago there was a fiberglass manufacturer making a 3 window Model A coupe body, I don't know if their still in business?

The37Kid, da34guy and scrap metal 48 like this.
  5. oldsman41

oldsman41

Thanks jr, I was wondering how many guys did it and if they chopped the top. The one I seen wasn’t chopped

6. I believe the company was called A/altered.

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

This one was metal not bad looking but I thought it needed something off the top

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Ford actually did build a prototype in 1930. There is a picture of it in the book "The Ford Model A", by George DeAngelis. The photo is numbered 6894 and dated 10-16-30. It looks like they added about 3" to the door and the back panel of the top looks to be shorter than the 3 window '32.

9. oldsman41

oldsman41

Thanks woodiewagon.

10. Here ya go..... ModelAThreeWindowtwotonejpg.jpg

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I wonder what one would look like using a Tudor door?

12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sorry it just doesn't look right .

13. I'm sure it looked good back then but we've become used to '32 three windows. I'd ay ayear after this car was shown, it was quickly forgotten.

14. This is a Sport Coupe and close to what your talking about.
    [​IMG]
    Here's what they look like in Hot Rod form and even though it looks like the Top could fold down it does not. It's nailed in place and is stationary.
    Gerry's coupe 001.jpg That's about as 3 window as you can get in a Model A.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. oldsman41

oldsman41

I wonder if it was a sport coupe just done in metal,never got to talk to the guy or gal. Dang I should have taken some pictures. To much of a hurry I guess.

16. If you were just riding around and saw something in passing what made you think it was a Model A?

17. Yep, he was in Chino AZ, he only built about 10 b4 the molds got cut up. They were ruff to say the least.

pprather likes this.
  18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Piston, that's a '28 Business Coupe, not a Sports Coupe. A Sports Coupe has landau irons. In 1929 the Business Coupe added oval windows in the roof.

verde742 likes this.
  19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

20. I don't remember the name of the company but someone make a glass Model A 3-window. HRP

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

For all the work involved, why not just find an Essex in the first place?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

timwhit likes this.
  22. And this is a perfect example why we don't let Street Rods on our H.A.M.B. board.:eek:

23. My tribute to the 3 window Model A. Definitely a hotrodded version but inspired by the slant window prototype.

Attached Files:

Tim likes this.
  24. Works for me. Don't stop now.

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  25. There used to be a company based out of Ontario Canada named A Glass Act that produced fiberglass 3 window A's.

26. Thanks man! She’s getting there

27. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think that’s going look really nice. As an A guy, I’m still wrestling with the proportions, I think just because I haven’t seen many. So, did you just use a wider door and move the b-pillar back? Sedan door?
    You’re brave to start dicing up a quarter panel, I like it.

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  28. Thanks man. Yeah if it hadn’t been for the prototype coupes Ford made I would have never tried this and just built another 5w but my quarters were pretty rough..the whole car was so I decided I’d go for it. Something a little different and hopefully I did it justice but the cowl and doors are Victoria which are 6” longer than coupe stock doors and 4” longer than sedan doors. To try to help the proportions. Cut the quarters back 6” and used a rotted 4 door sedan quarter molding to help finish off the body line where the window was.

Rehpotsirhcj likes this.