Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Elmer's "Hot T"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Nov 1, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Elmer's "Hot T"

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

hotrodfil, 63fdsnr, Jet96 and 13 others like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,

Great find and presentation. Don Nowell was a very cool guy. His 1937 blue coupe (on the HAMB) was pretty outstanding for a 1959-63 style street legal, gas coupe. We did not see it running at the So Cal dragstrips, but his history goes back farther than that cool coupe. So, it is no wonder that these early photos were the beginnings with his father in the hot rod world.

Thanks,
    Jnaki

3. It looks way ahead of its time. The fact that it was full fendered made stand out among "gow jobs". Love the stance...

Ziggster and Stogy like this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool. 108 mph!?? Unreal.

HEMI32 and Stogy like this.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

A very close model of that could be built with the AMT kits. When I was young, I thought that old-timey stuff was dumb. The older I get, the more I appreciate the early stuff, where the hobby was, how it got here, etc.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Bluedot

Bluedot

108 mph in that would be downright scary...scary fun tho.

Stogy likes this.
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

They were trend setters in their day. 108, what a thrill it must have been in an open car like that. I got a chance to see a modern day version of that style of car when I was visiting Mark Morton's (HOP UP MAGAZINE) garage a few years ago. His version is very reminiscent of Nowell's roadster.

Stogy likes this.
  8. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

Such a cool piece of history .Imagine that come speeding buy in the 1930s .

Stogy likes this.
  9. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Elmer's T is the cats pajamas.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First off Rest in Peace Hotrodders...I think it was Don who had that Nasty 37 Chevy Coupe (Jnaki Confirmed my thought I now see...:rolleyes:)...I do remember the T as I've saw it several time in threads I frequent with the story...I really have a huge interest in the Big Picture and 108mph is a wicked nasty speed...wow that's how the Windshield angle came about...Sometimes Tweaking the Posture a bit and putting the dough in the drivetrain put the Plaque on the dash...

I suspect that was El Mirage where 108 was realized....I wonder if the fenders lights and shield were stripped to achieve that?

Thanks for posting this @J.Ukrop

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    hotrodfil likes this.
  11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I've had these photos saved for a while but to see the back of each, awesome! Thank you for posting!! I've slowly been collecting a big pile of parts to build a very similar car. Someday....

12. guitarguy

guitarguy

100% how I feel my journey of cars has led me.

When I was young, I never really appreciated the old stuff (thought it was neat, but just not for me). Never thought in a thousand lifetimes I would be here building my own Gow T and for that matter, owning a stock T. You cant imagine how much fun you can have in a stock one doing 35mph, let alone a hopped up one as featured here---which had to be a hell of a thrill ride.

@J.Ukrop , thank you for a great post and featuring my friends thread he started.

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  13. sololobo

sololobo

omg, this hot rod is so awesome and mighty fast for that time period, loved seeing this, thanx

Stogy likes this.
  14. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Great photos and story. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  15. collection. Is so bad ass cool. The start of hot rods as we know them today
    108 is off the charts

pprather likes this.
  16. There's a photo of Bob Estes with his similar T at Muroc in The American Hot Rod book by Dean Batchelor. Think he ran over 100 too but dunno if it was fully fendered.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019