Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing rear window in a baby bird hardtop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsonmand, Oct 25, 2019.

1. I am having a hard time installing a rear window with chrome moldings in a 56 Bird hardtop ,have gotten two different seals used the rope trick to try and get lip up over the hardtop lip ,both seals are definitely not made the same as the original seal ,I cannot get it to conform to window properly tried heat etc ,just cannot get it all to fit properly ,I know you are supposed to assemble chrome to window and install as an assembly ,I have tried repeatedly and cannot get it to work any suggestions on how to do this

Black Panther likes this.
  2. If it is anything an early vette, GOOD LUCK!

hudsonmand likes this.
  3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find an old timer....

hudsonmand likes this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. I am an oldtimer ,put lots of this type in ,just cannot get chrome too fit ,could be cheap China made window rubber

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just went through this on a pickup with stainless moldings that pop into the rubber, and since there was a recess that the rubber had to sit in, it was a real battle. Never having done one on a T-Bird, can you enlarge the opening a bit? There's not much as aggravating as having to pull a windshield when you have a few inches to go and pop one of the moldings out. Let us know what happens.

hudsonmand likes this.
  7. Using a Steele gasket on my 49 ford windshield, I was instructed to install the stainless molding in the rubber before installing in the car....couldn't get it to work at all! I had 2 helpers with as much or more experience than me. I finally disregarded the instructions and installed the glass and gasket in the hole. Then we lubed, pushed, tapped and pried [non-metal glass tool] the stainless in place with a lot of lube. Got it done but it wasn't fun. Rockbox3.jpg

hudsonmand and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Ask on The Ford Barn, there are a couple of guys with old Birds.

hudsonmand likes this.
  9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That stainless looks great...didn't know it was a bear to install....would be great if someone has a video how to..

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  10. Update finally got it in ,ended up using dish soap installing window first doing as other fellow said pounding moldings in after not easy but it worked ,not an easy job

David Gersic and s55mercury66 like this.
  11. With my windshield... the lower trim goes in the gasket first, no other way. I use a mobile glass guy, real old timer that has been around. I was helping him with mine at my shop and he was using a butyl rubber sealant. The thing was 90% in and something must have moved... so out it comes. Black goop all over my newly painted cowl... good thing WD40 takes it off.

hudsonmand likes this.