Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are Coil-Over Shock Roller Thrust Bearings needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by senginc, Oct 30, 2019.

1. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

Are Coil-Over Shock Roller Thrust Bearings needed to adjust travel easily?
    Like this https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81804/10002/-1

I only plan to do it the 3 or 4 times it will take to get the car sitting and riding right.
    Is graphite or anti-seize helpful with out the bearings

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My education for the day as I didn't know they existed.
    I can see them being used by racers who are always dinking with the suspension adjustments needed or not.
    For a guy with a street rig who is going to make an adjustment or two to get it right and get the car level they sure would make adjustment go smoother but probably aren't a necessity.

deathrowdave likes this.
  3. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Waste of money IMHO.

Blues4U likes this.
  4. It's 30 bucks to make your life easier. What's not to like?

Hombre likes this.

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Not necessary, but have them on the '31 and makes initial adjustment much easier. Helps keep you from buggering up the lock rings with a spanner, too. They'll get dirt in them during normal driving (as will any lubrication) so not a long term benefit.

6. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

You should use anti seize on the aluminum shock body threads to keep the spanner nut from galling up, but as the above stated, if you’re only gonna make an occasional adjustment to get the ride height where you want it, you don’t need the bearings.

7. Not necessary, but make sure the threads on the coil-overs aren't fine thread. Had some Carrea's back in the day that were and was a royal pain setting them. I normally do one at a time and jack that corner of the car up and let the wheel hang to take off as much weight as possible before adjusting.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No, not needed. Any benefit? Maybe. I don't know, I've never had them. But I can say for certain they are not needed.

raven likes this.
  9. oj

oj

Not for street type stuff, use a floor jack to get the weight off the shock and make adjustments, you really don't want to raise or lower your car by an aluminum lock nut & spanner wrench with or without torrington bregs, yes to liberal coat of antiseize between nuts adjusting nuts and thrust washers, wipe off excess to keep dirt buildup to minimum.

Andy and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ THAT says it all.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Both my 67 Nova and 66 Suburban have QA1 coilovers front and rear and my roadster has them on the rear, never heard of them!

12. Obviously, people are getting away without using thrust bearings, especially on straight axles, but...............
    Coil springs do twist with compression motions. IFS causes more twisting of the coils. Macpherson strut suspension uses thrust bearing for that reason. I think with coilovers it's very similar for any IFS, the top of the shock is fixed and the bottom swings with the wheel direction plus the compression twisting. But if they are available, I would use them at least on IFS. Also on straight axles, if they clunk at all. I'm no expert so I can't give more exact details on setups I haven't experienced myself. That's above my pay grade.

Edited to clear up my fuzzy comments.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I actually have the pleasure of using both, with and without the bearing plates. My 68 442 does not have them, the 69 SS/RS I just sold did. The cars are OT but the size is important (I know, she lied fellas). I change tires and wheels once in a while to change the cars appearance and when I do I typically adjust the front end height to fit the look I want. That means up on the lift and the application of those nifty Chinese spanners that come with the shocks.

The 2 cars have close the same weight on the nose (the camaro has a 396) so I used 600 pound springs on both. I installed them both myself and liberally lubed up the threads to prevent galling and aid adjustment. The Olds requires heavy works gloves, non slip work shoes and a recent trip to the bathroom. The camaro is practically effortless.

Not necessary, but if are one those people that make periodic adjustments I would recommend them highly.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

"Wipe off" excess never seize ...........that's funny !

oj and jaw22w like this.
  15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

LIKE CHICKEN SOUP IT CAN'T HURT! If you don't want to spend the money then don't. I'm 70 and don't want to work hard any more (never thought I'd say that) money is made to be spent, when your in the ground you can't spend it. Also if you can't afford to do it right don't do it. I have them on my MG, they came with my Strange coil overs.

Pat

16. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Perhaps this is the elusive secret to the first perpetual motion machine?:D

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OP never mentioned application, which makes all the difference in the world. He just asked if the bearings were needed. I have coil overs on the rear axle of my 30 pickup, making adjustments is a piece of cake, no lifting of the car with a jack is needed, no anti-seize or oil on the threads, and the stock spanner wrench that came with the shocks works fine. But then the weight on the rear axle is <1000#. If you're doing the same with an Olds 442 things are bound to be different.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True that! And rear coil overs generally push against the top shock retainer, front coil overs (like I mentioned in my example) are pushing against the frame top spring pocket. Application does make a difference.

My shop truck had a Heidts front crossmember already installed by a pro so I am leaving it. I am installing yet another set of 600 pound springs to handle the Hemi's weight and yes, the QA1's have bearing plates.

Blues4U likes this.
  19. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

You don't quit playing with toys because you get old, you get old because you quit playing with toys. Pat at 70 is right on, anything that makes it easier to do what we like to do is generally worth the effort and cost. You can't take it with you and won't need it anyway.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If I stopped buying extras today I still wouldn't have anything to take with me .......oh wait , I don't buy any extras ....