Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How to buy a Ford flathead OR how a good guy finally got a break

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36cab, Oct 31, 2019.

1. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may remember my buddy justabeater37 that built a 23 track roadster to be auctioned off for charity. He is a wheeler dealer and always tracking down old tin and buying and selling and swapping parts to gather what he needs for his next build. Recently he picked up this Ford flathead from a guy that took it out of his 1941 Ford so he could drop an LS engine in it. I won't tell you what he gave for the flatty but let's just say he should buy a lottery ticket with the run of luck he is currently on.

Attached Files:

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Simple. The buyer gives CIF (cash in fist) to the seller for an agreed upon price.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I only posted it to show people that there are still deals out there. And if anyone followed justabeater37's build thread on building the roadster for charity, it is nice to see something good happen to a good unselfish guy for once.

Truck64, bct and alchemy like this.
  4. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

What kind of useless post did you contribute 56shoebox? That is the question 56shoebox. You obviously must feel the need to comment on everything instead of just passing on by without saying anything. It's people like you that make me realize why I avoid the HAMB. Let me guess......if you go to a "traditional" car show and see 3 cars out of 100 that don't fit your idea of "traditional"...you immediately go on the HAMB talking about how crappy the show was......... Sheesh. I guess the old phrase "If you can't say something nice - don't say anything at all" is gone by the wayside. Don't worry 56shoebox - you can beat me up after I leave. I doubt I will be back for another month.

And just so you know - justabeater has contributed SOOOOO much to help kids with heart defects - it's kind of nice to see that he is getting a fair shake.

5. alchemy

alchemy

I think flathead karma is paying Justabeater back. I hope he shows a progress thread on this project so we can all see too.

36cab likes this.
  6. Master of None

Master of None

While this post heading could have been misleading, it proves that you really didn't read the entire post or understand the party involved.

So let me tell you about what my good friend Doug (justabeater37) did.

Doug, has helped volunteer since the inception of Vintage Torque fest in Iowa. This is a charity car show that benefits kids and families with congenital heart defects. The foundation Helping Hannas Heart has raised over $60,000 for these families in need. Families.... like mine.

My son Wyatt was born with Hypoplastic right heart syndrome and has had 3 open heart surgeries, one less than a day after his birth. He's doing great, we are one of the happy ending stories. Which there aren't many in the history of this show. My shop, has been to every vintage torque fest, often providing a car for the indoor portion. Hence how Doug and I met. After a few conversations at one of the shows Doug decided to build a car to auction off at last years event.... using his OWN TIME and MONEY as a donation. At the same time, pushing his own hot rod projects to the back burner to build a truly kick ass car for a total stranger.
    During this time, my son had his 3rd surgery, and ended up having some complications that lead to a 65 day extended stay. Doug used Wyatts struggle as inspiration, and pushed incurably hard to get the roadster together for the Lone start round up and the hot rod hill climb to raise awareness and sell some tickets which he did on his own dime.
    Doug isn't one to take a complement, or ask for help, but the time, stress, and financial struggle of the build was real. Most of the build he did by himself (did I mention it was a scratch built 27t body). I was thankful that he allowed me to come spend a few hours straightening it for paint. A few business local and national did kick in some parts thankfully to the cause.

Day of the show the car had 1500 road tested miles, and was ready to be given away to its new lucky owner. The car ended up raising close to $18,000 for the foundation (at $20 a poster).

So to say that this post is useless is probably true to people looking for quick, clear answers about a flathead motor .

But to say the overall theme of the post, that good people DO have good things happen to them is not.

Im truly honored to have Doug as my friend, and I will do everything I can to tell anyone about my personal hot rod hero.

7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I say good on him! I followed his build and liked what he did so he has some good karma chips built up!

osage orange and 36cab like this.
  8. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went back and edited the title. I didn't want anyone to felt that they were mislead.

osage orange and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Street Rodders" can be the best thing that happened to us guys. I bought an engine real cheap from some boob who wanted to put an SBC in his '40 Ford. It turned out to be a fresh 303 '51 Olds with an Offy dual quad manifold, an Iskendarian cam, and a set of Gotha adjustable rockers. It came with the car and he was disappointed when he found out it wasn't an SBC.

"Street Rodders", the gift that keeps on giving.

Oh yeah, it had a nice set of chromed rocker arm covers.

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Doug deserves to get every break that he can. He works hard and gives so much.

11. bantam

bantam

I bought one of the posters. Hanging in my garage. Not because I wanted another car. Have too many now. But I appreciated the effort put into building a car for a worthy charity. Happy he got a deal. I wish there were more LS swaps going on freeing up more flatties for everyone:)

osage orange likes this.
  12. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flattered by the flattery guys. Thanks. I am just a normal guy doing normal things. Yes, I spend way too many hours combing ads looking for a bargain for myself or to pass along to help build this hot rod community. Sometimes it pays off. For everyone who says they can't afford to build a hot rod, they just need to learn to hustle. I buy a truck full of parts to get the one piece I need and sell the rest. I sold 5 bodies this weekend that I had bought to get a pair of quarter panels. When the time comes to start the build with this flatty, it will be a 28 roadster on a 32 frame that I have been collecting parts for 2 years. Current cash outlay is less than 2 nights in a high end hotel. If I can sell the fiberglass 32 body that came with my frame, I will likely have this car on the road for under 1500 out of pocket. I call it my free roadster project. I know it wont end up free, but it wont be much either. If all goes well, I will try to have it done by the second annual Hawkeye Heritage Hot Rod Run in September. Stay tuned. Again thanks Steve for letting people know there are still deals to be had, you just have to have cash in hand to play at times. That is usually the hard part.

alanp561 and alchemy like this.