Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Think'in about putting anti-seize on my sparkplug threads after........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Oct 30, 2019.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

I broke 4 of them.
    I was removing them so, when removing my old headers,I wouldn't break any of them.:mad: Might just be a crappy plug socket but the high pitched 'clink' of a cracking plug has me looking for a cure.
    Anti seize cause spark tracking?!
    Thanx
    6sally6

Spoggie likes this.
  2. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I've never had a problem using anti seize on spark plug threads. I always use it on aluminum heads, sometimes on iron. I've always been careful to make sure that I don't get any of it anywhere, except on the thread s

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

4. I have been using anti-seize on the plug threads for over 45 years. No problems. In that time I have broken two plugs, and in both cases, they were 5/8 hex plugs and it was because of a poorly designed socket, which has now been marked and removed from service.
    I found that using a pinch of talc on the rubber inside the socket, helps when installing and removing plugs.
    Bob

5. Oldb

Oldb

Hotly debated at work. Some feel it affects the ground. I disagree and have used it on plugs for years no problems.
    B

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Spark tracking..?
    You don't need to put the whole bottle on the plugs..!
    Just a light dab on the first coupla threads (only), wipe it so it's all the way around the plug body...install.
    Easy on the torque, the anti-seize is also a lubricant.

Mike

7. loudbang

loudbang

I have found a Q-Tip dipped in a bit of Anti-seize (not a lot) and dragged around the threads results in the right amount.

I also checked the ground and resistance on my OT website and just a MINUTE (very small) amount of greater resistance so NO PROBLEM with grounding through it.

8. bubba55

bubba55

Me thinks that there's a copper / nickel high temp anti-seize that might be best

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. spanners

spanners

I've always put a slight dollop of oil on spark plug threads. Easy to screw in, easy to screw out. Only ever broken a plug removing it after someone over tightened it on a purchased engine.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. NGK says to use never seize with aluminum heads when using their spark plugs. I have been using it forever, steel heads too. I buy it in the tube, so it never gets contaminated like the brush type.

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Like MikeVV says, a little dab will do you.:)...................or was that Brylcreem?!;)

12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used Permatex copper anti-seize on everything from lawn mower to BB Ford to Harley with no bad effects.

13. BJR

BJR

Count me in also. I always use a small amount on the plug threads.

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I use brilcream .I just like the way my plugs look. and SHE does to ! do they still make that stuff ? havnt heard of it for years , till now . we must be getting REALLY old !!!!!

15. "They'll love to run their fingers through your hair "...

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No no no...

Gentlemen. Behold the power of Hai Karate!!
    (Be careful how you use it)

blowby, Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. I've been using anti-seize for years. HRP

19. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Now THAT'S funny.
    99% of the motorcycle industry uses NGK plugs.
    EVERY bike I've owned (bought new) or worked on since 1985 has had the "original" (silver) anti-seize on the plugs...from the factory...as delivered..!

And every one of said motorcycles has had aluminum heads. Matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken, the bike manuals tell the user TO use an anti-seize compound. Why...so the cylinder head threads don't pull out when the plugs are removed..! They DO gall VERY easily. I've fixed a few for people..!

Mike

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Boneyard51, j-jock and bobss396 like this.
  20. I have been using it for decades, even on exhaust hardware it is still there and gives you a fighting chance to get a stud off a nut at the flange or heat riser. We use it at work on military hardware (at manufacturing discretion and I represent manufacturing on many programs). Our in-house standards manuals, it is a must with screw thread inserts and especially anywhere with did-similar metals are assembled. Real cheap insurance.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and j-jock like this.
  21. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I think NGK's ( and other plug manufacturers') sometimes stated consternation is the definite effect on installation torque, and the possibility of over doing the application and getting some AS in the vicinity of the plug spark gap.

There is not enough room on the tiny spark plug box to put on all the warning labels necessary to satisfy the lawyers, etc.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I got rid of the bottle with the brush inside and went to a copper antisize in a tube. It's not as messy and I like it better. Been using it on aluminum heads for years and it only takes a small amount...……..

23. Always used it on the plugs in the aircraft I worked on and on my own vehicles. You just have to be careful to not get too much on the plug or on the wrong part of the plug.

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I put that shit on everything including me

25. The anti-seize I use is the copper based product.
    Bob

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"...the high pitched 'clink' of a cracking plug..."

Where did the plugs break?
    If the porcelain broke, the socket must have been cocked and put sideways force on the plug.

Boneyard51 and Blues4U like this.
  27. They played the commercials so much in the 50s, that I still remember the lines.
    Brylcream, a little dab will do ya.
    Why is it that I can remember useless crap that I didn't want to remember from over 60 years ago, and forget important stuff from yesterday. Go figure.
    Bob

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  28. oldsman41

oldsman41

Oh yeah anti seize.

29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Same here, branded and sold by CAT. Used to use the silver stuff for years before we found out about the CAT product, it works much better, lasts better on the parts over the long haul, doesn't dissipate as much. I've had the same huge can of this stuff for >20 years and it will likely last the rest of my life.

j-jock, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.