Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bruce Lancaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, Oct 31, 2019.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

For those of you involved with old Fords, hearing or reading the name Bruce Lancaster mentioned in conversation probably strikes you with the thought that you had best pay attention. Sadly, we lost Bruce…

Bruce’s knowledge of subjects far and wide was unsurpassed by anyone I have ever come across. His willingness to share his knowledge and experiences, not only as facts, but in a manner in which anyone could understand. Complex tasks needing special tools would be explained in a way that you could now reach the same goal with a slip of paper and a yardstick. Bruce was a librarian by trade but with his own personal library that he would loan out as needed, even mailing books to people he had never met in person with no request for payment and trusting that they would return. His collection of parts is mind boggling, but again, his generosity would step in and without a thought of payment, parts would be mailed out on loan, or as a donation to the project. No personal gain, just helping others and keeping more old Fords running.

My personal story with Bruce began a bit over 15 years ago. I have had an interest in flathead Ford era vehicles my entire life, but I was just starting to really dig in and learn. Bruce found me through the HAMB Message Board and offered answers to any questions I had. The first time we met in person was at Posies open house in the middle of winter, SUPER COLD. There was Bruce and his wife Alice having driven a few hours seemingly just to talk to me. Bruce’s appearance and general personality reminded me a lot of what I would imagine Albert Einstein would have been like. We conversed often, parts and books were loaned without hesitation. At various events it seemed we would always end up together and I couldn’t wait to soak up the stories Bruce had. Stories of rain soaked Hershey swap meets, digging parts out of mountains of scrap, parts houses with bins full of new old Ford bits, even stories unrelated to old cars were so interesting with the way they were delivered. At the Jalopy Showdown Invitational a few years back, saying it rained would be an understatement. I was prepared to run on the track when the monsoon hit. I tried to wait it out but ended up heading for cover, soaked. On my way to the pavilion, there walking through the infield looking at cars without seeming to notice the rain, was Bruce with a rain hat and a giant cup with a straw. We talked a bit and he strolled on. There are many more stories, from CCing cylinder heads at the Hershey swap meet by means of a medicine cup that he happened to have handy for just that reason, to touring Cabella’s to see the “wombats” when a friend from Norway was in town.

Sadly Alice had passed away and later Bruce met Barbara. Barbara was a wonderful woman who reminded me a lot of Bruce, a generous kind hearted lady who just went with the flow and seemed madly in love with Bruce! Bruce and Barbara attended my wedding, and later my wife and I attended theirs. Bruce upon seeing me at their wedding, ran off to the side of the church and grabbed a bag with a WICO magneto that he thought might help get my race car going. They generously offered us the use of their beach house which lead to something I never imagined, after the Race of Gentlemen a few years ago. Bruce and I folded laundry together, I’m sure that would have been an amusing sight as I don’t believe either of us had too much experience, but we struggled through. Shortly after, Barbara had some health problems and sadly passed away. I knew this hit Bruce hard but he seemed to just plug along in his own way. We spent a fair amount of time together the past couple years with trips to New Jersey or Bruce traveling to my area. Every time we would be in Jersey Bruce would want to eat at Manny’s Texas Weiners. Bruce would immediately grab the bill, not allowing me to pay, saying “you are a guest in New Jersey”. A few weeks ago was the Hershey swap meet which to Bruce and I and many of you, is the absolute best time of the year. We spent a bit of time together there. Bruce always used our spots as his stopping point to rest and relax a bit. We talked about what we were finding or seeing I even learned something new about WWII toolboxes and we went our separate ways at the end of the week.

Bruce suffered a stroke on Sunday morning a week after Hershey and did not recover. I believe that if this was his time to go, he knew he had to wait till after Hershey. Bruce was one of my best friends and I am going to miss him forever. His knowledge passed on to me and stories told will be with me for the rest of my life. I am a better person for having known him. Thank you Bruce for all that you have given me, but thank you the most for being my friend.

- Zach

2. Sad news indeed. It didn't sound good from the other post about his stroke. Thoughts go out to his family. He will be missed by many.

3. this is a very sad information

mgtstumpy, Stogy and Blue One like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

Godspeed Mr. Lancaster, you will always be fondly remembered.

1Nimrod, mgtstumpy, Spoggie and 4 others like this.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I learned so much from Bruce. I thank him and his family for that. He has joined many other legends from our obessisive hobby...no...way of life. Thanks so much Bruce.

mgtstumpy and Stogy like this.
  6. So sorry to hear this. I didn't know Bruce personally but benefited from his willingness to share his vast knowledge.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy, clem, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  7. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry to hear this RIP Bruce " the librarian"

mgtstumpy, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  8. belair

belair

Sorry for your personal loss. We all lost a friend we didn't know we had, or at least had never met. Too bad more folks don't try to be bit more like our librarian. Godspeed, Bruce.

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

R.I.P. Bruce. Condolences to the family.

10. BJR

BJR

So sad, best wishes and condolences to his remaining family.:(

Truck64, mgtstumpy and Stogy like this.
  11. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Condolences to family and friends.

12. town sedan

town sedan

Damn...,
    -Dave

13. banjorear

banjorear

Thank you, Zach. A fitting tribute to a wonderful man.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what a sad for the H.A.M.B. Family - sincere sympathy goes out to his immediate Family, his family here and his friends

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never met the man but conversed with him by PM several times. A true good guy. RIP Bruce and condolences to his family.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sad news indeed. Bruce was one of the few guys here who when I saw his post I always paid attention. His death leaves a big hole here. Thank you for the wonderful stories of meeting Bruce and spending time with him. I know him a little bit better now. Godspeed Bruce.

brad2v, mgtstumpy, partsdawg and 4 others like this.
  17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Sad indeed. Bruce was a wealth of information and a asset to the Hamb community. My condolences to the family, he will be missed.

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really enjoyed all of Bruce's posts here on HAMB.. We are all worse off for his passing and he will be missed. Condolences to his family.

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What a great tribute Zach. Never personally knew him but could tell by his posts here he was a special person. Godspeed Bruce and my condolences to family and friends. Lippy and family.

20. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Vaya con Dios, Bruce

mgtstumpy, raven and Stogy like this.
  21. Oh man! That is sad news, indeed. May God comfort all of his family and friends, both close and distant.:(

22. Always troublesome when one of us passes. So sorry to hear about Bruce.

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

So sorry to hear this, sincerest condolences to all that knew and loved him. He will be missed.

mgtstumpy, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This one hurts. I loved that man.

Kan Kustom, brad2v, Frankie47 and 7 others like this.
  25. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Wow. There have been some people here on the HAMB that when they gave you some information you could take it to the Bank.. Bruce was certainly at the top of that list. We have lost a great resource of early Ford knowledge.
    Godspeed Bruce!

brad2v, mgtstumpy, OG lil E and 3 others like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

RIP Bruce. I'll look forward to meeting you one day on the other side.
    In the meantime have fun with all the other car guys who have gone before you.

mgtstumpy, OG lil E and Stogy like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

I'm so glad we had him here. I never met him in person, but conversations on the HAMB have made me smarter. And, he taught us how to convey knowledge without condescension. Everybody starts their old Ford journey somewhere, and hopefully they have a guide like Bruce.

brad2v, mgtstumpy, OG lil E and 6 others like this.
  28. Very sad to hear,always tried to read and digest every bit of info he posted.One of the truly great and knowledgeable men in Ford world.Condolences to his family,their loss is greater than ours.

29. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Top notch fella! I 2nd everything Zack said. This just proves don't wait to meet, hang out with or do something you intend to do. You just don't know the number of your days or those you want to spend time with.

OG lil E, jim snow and Stogy like this.
  30. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Sad news indeed, I always looked out for his reponses as they were inevitably 'right'. Condolences to his family and all who knew him. RIP.

Stogy likes this.