Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features PLEASE READ>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wbrw32, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I’m not a grump old guy. See my tag line.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

DAM IT GET EM BOB !!!

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

This is "General Discussion" forum so shouldn't it be open to more general stuff keeping the year cap for the vehicle? Traditional Hotrods and Traditional Customs forums would have tighter parameters; i.e. no t5 trans, turbo 350, BBC, 85 series Fords, electronics, ect plus the year cut off.. .

4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Hard? Too PC now a days....... The wild west is gone. It was more fun/entertaining that way......Thinner skin has prevailed.......

hrm2k, partsdawg, scotty t and 4 others like this.
  6. Fuck here we go, another thread where a bunch of people want to change the H.A.M.B. or justify off topic stuff....it’s getting old. More people should spend time building cars

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. When you have a special interest group you got to have rules. Rule #1 is "Who do we keep out of the group?"
    But take racecar owners and drivers for instance. They have a LOT of rules. And most of the fast ones got there by shaving the rules and by outright cheating. It is, can I say, traditional. It's also traditional for the rest of the grumps in the group to watchdog and keep 'em in line. It's ever been so and ever will be so. The system ain't broke. It's just bent occasionally.

31Vicky with a hemi and monteg0 like this.
  8. Somebody wants to be a mod
    9084D8E4-D2BF-4D91-9B04-58DE89785F8A.jpeg
    I let the mods do their job
    They are the pros
    Wonder if the HAMB would start a gripe forum?
    I like when new folks have questions
    How else can they learn.
    Some may think a S10 chassis or CV fronts are the only choices for suspension. Or how cool vintage engines are even though more modern ones generally make more HP. Or that drum brakes and bias tires work great on the right car.
    Maybe I’m odd but I don’t lose a minute of sleep over a post I don’t like.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    TimCT, Rickybop, VANDENPLAS and 9 others like this.
  9. aircap

aircap

Do we really need all the self appointed moderators and bouncers on here?

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kid 5.jpg

:rolleyes:...Time for a Traditional Interlude...

;)

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1863.jpg

:rolleyes:...Flat Top comes to Mind...You know that Hairstyle back in the Day...:D

Stunning Hotrod

I didn't check out the Details...just going on that saying 'You Know It When You See It'

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

207554-1281284468-03fa813ce11b5daf65b3b80fb7560544.jpg

:rolleyes:...the Businessman's Coupe...Can you imagine a chance to start this up and go for a ride...that is the definition of

Dayuum

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome Ya New Hoodlums...;)

Did you know why I called you that...Snoop around and you'll find the answer for that and it comes from High Up :rolleyes: There...You know as Fred would say the Grand Poo Bah...:confused:...:D...well that's what it sounded like...

The Hamb is a Good Time...Warts and All

Learn to appreciate what happened in those years in Hotrod/Custom and strive to feel what it had to offer...

14. ERguitar

ERguitar

There's always exceptions to rules, all the t5 threads for example.
    I like the fact that for the most part this site maintains its original intent of proselytizing the vintage hot rod hobby.
    There are enough other websites dedicated to other styles of building that a guy can easily research a more current method somewhere else but the hamb is the only place I know that has such a repository of true old school knowledge.
    The only way to keep these guys around is to keep them engaged, make them feel valuable (which they are!) .
    I'm a newbie here but the amount of things I have learned in the last year or so is amazing.
    I don't believe relaxing or changing the rules would have a positive impact on the site.
    Sorry for the ramble, need to get some coffee now........

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not cheating, it's " Interpreting the rules ".

X-cpe and The Shift Wizard like this.
  16. I bet some kid did somewhere. Regardless if they did or not I wouldn’t kick any of these out of my yard.
    1BCBD1D4-2C13-4DD0-8D47-4E21F82060BA.jpeg
    9E874F7A-1B41-4768-8904-9F16CC336F66.jpeg
    247AA96A-1925-46A8-B952-639F235D815F.jpeg
    03D14A13-CBA0-4CE5-8AA5-A76CB8936A8B.jpeg
    5ADD29A2-F09B-468F-923B-883B130F2552.jpeg
    781107DF-B2BE-4E50-AD05-900E3D84B2A1.jpeg

17. prpmmp

prpmmp

How about those Nats!!!!! Pete

Rickybop, X-cpe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Hey, easy on the International stuff mine will go 45MPH, 50 if going down hill.

19. I only joined the HAMB a few months ago, and try to follow the rules (which I "skimmed" through). I have seen so many threads on here about how ______ used to be good back in the day, but there aren't many left nowadays. Whether it be the parts stores with knowledgeable staff, the speed shops, 19__ widget that is now super-rare, or some other topic about how things used easier to find, or do. I have read many posts saying that they learned about cars from their fathers, grandparents, uncles, or a random cool dude down the street. Not everyone had that.

All of these threads and posts make me wish I was around those day's; however, I kind of like being 40. My points are:

1- Many of us young folks didn't have the same exposure to the hobby and some of the more....uh..."vintage" folks.

2- All of the cool parts you guys talk about are drying up, and harder to find. If I had to chose between waiting two years to find a part, or getting a slightly newer OT item, I know which one I'm choosing.

Someone made the comment about Google helping and also burning asses, and it's true. The fact of the matter is, that's all most of us have to conduct research. Not many vintage car guys around, no specialty shops, and only the occasional cruise-in (new Camaro's, Mustangs, and Challengers with a dash of rice-rocket) that offers no information.

For example, I may have a C5 transmission (I don't) in my T-bucket. A post like "Hey, I'm having an issue with blah-blah-blah for a C5", doesn't need to be responded with "read the rules dumbass". This is a VERY knowledgeable group of individuals, and in a lot of cases, the SOLE source for information for a lot of us. Rules are in place to keep the HAMB what it is, and I agree with them. I enjoy learning from you, your build threads, and most important, your sarcastic remarks.

Respectfully,

dan31, VANDENPLAS, jimmy959 and 8 others like this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

It's Ryan's place. If ya don't like it, take your ball and go home. I like it here.

Rickybop, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  21. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Short and sweet flatheadpete. If you don't like the format here, start your own web site.

flatheadpete likes this.
  22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"

scotty t likes this.
  23. As much as I like this site I wish there was another site that was kind of “in between” this one and most of the others. More traditional inspired than truly traditional. Actually just another section here would be awesome, with ways to adapt some more modern touches to otherwise old style cars. It’s already here just barely hidden (wink wink).

And no I’m not the guy to start another site or even spearhead another group here, so I’ll just play right here!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. The pages have nice texture, kind of like reading a really well made book from long ago......Except for that virtual thing, being nothing but 1's and 0's. Still, kind of comforting in a pleasantly odd sort of way.

25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I love when people rant about threads where people actually ask for information. Yet will contribute 5 pages to a thread about losing a gas cap.

26. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

27. X-cpe

X-cpe

It's called being extra competative.

alanp561 likes this.

28. gene2.JPG gene.jpg

Same Car

VANDENPLAS, Thor1, 0ldracer and 2 others like this.
  29. goldmountain

goldmountain

Maybe a bit of a sliding scale as to parts allowed? 9" Ford rear ends have been gone for over 30 years now. Rear wheel drive donor cars aren't to be found either. I'm no spring chicken at 66 and points ignition was disappearing when I was .. young. Maybe give these 40 year old upstarts a break?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

That_53_Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.