Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody Have a Factory Labor Book for a 59 Cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmics, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Have a guy who wants me to R & R his engine and replace the gaskets in his 59 Cad.

Anybody have an estimate of time to remove and replace the engine in such a machine?

Thanks in advance

Oldmics

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone should have a flat rate manual from that time frame.

3. tom in nh

tom in nh

How about quoting him "time and materials"?
    Have him leave a deposit and when that runs out - have him replenish the balance.
    As far as the materials go: you order what is needed. Pick up other stuff locally, as needed.
    Customer pays it on his credit card.
    You charge for your time ordering, picking up, etc.
    A 60 year old engine r & r will be longer labor wise than when new. Think broken bolts, previous hackery, special tools if needed, etc.
    Make it fair for you and the customer.
    Works for me.
    Good luck,
    Tom

4. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Taken from my 1962 Motors Flat Rate Manual
    Engine R&R 10.9 hrs.
    Add 1.1 for A/C
    Beyond the above, I would just add a reasonable time to whatever extent the customer wants replaced. Like most projects, one thing leads to another, and another etc.
    Example, it would be foolish not to replace timing chain and gears while into and possibly the oil pump, rod and main bearings.
    Rear main bearing seal requires crank removal if rope type seal. Neoprene may be available which is much easier.
    Might as well replace freeze plugs.
    Tune up
    As stated above, add extra for rusted or broken bolts etc.
    Bottom line is that its' not possible to provide an exact estimate up front that is fair to both parties.
    Further, If this engine has excessive blow by, I would not take this job on because it will likely still leak oil somewhere and you may be held responsible.
    Eddie