Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A door latch nutserts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Raunchy, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Raunchy

Raunchy

I have a 30 Coupe I was going to replace the door latches as they were shot. After soaking for a few days and some heat. Every single one twisted off. Tried unsuccessfully to drill them out. So I drilled out the nutsert and ran to the bolt store. The ones they had are too small . No luck in the model a catalogs or a search on how someone did it. Any body else have this problem and how did you fix it? Door 2.jpg Door 2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

There are inserts with a flat side I used for the sill screws. Not nutserts, I had to silver solder them in place but were perfect replacements.

Raunchy likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Snyder's Antique Auto Parts has those D nuts for 10-32 to 3/8 x 24, not cheap but the direct replacement. Just go to their site and search D-nuts.

scrap metal 48 and Raunchy like this.
  4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I just bought some d-nuts from Snyder’s also, just have to go through their catalog and find them. Ford used some odd screw sizes

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Raunchy likes this.

5. Raunchy

Raunchy

I tried to call a couple of places to see if their d nuts fit the door but they were all closed. Now that I know what they are called I hope to find the correct ones. After looking them up they may be a bitch to peen into the door not much room. A ball bearing and c clamp was used but not sure it would fit in there. Any other suggestions?

6. catdad49

catdad49

Please don't ask for deez nuts!!!!! Sorry, I'll just go now.

7. D-nuts can be a PITA to swedge in the hole. If you can back them up with a dolly or any piece of steel clamped as a backer, a small ball peen hammer will fit in and peen the concave side. But Henry apparently installed a lot of them, THEN spot welded in the panel or skinned the door, making them inaccessible. On ones that I couldn't get to, like door handle inner nuts, I used long machine screws to hold and epoxy them in the hole.

osage orange likes this.
  8. Raunchy

Raunchy

If I am thinking right once it's in the hole the d shape will keep it from turning. So I may drill 2 holes beside it and tack weld it on then smooth it up with a sanding disc. after that the screw should hold it once the latch is on and tightened down. That should last my lifetime.