Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Hemi Cam advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marfen, Oct 30, 2019.

1. marfen

marfen
    from sask

I've been running this 354 for some time rebuilt with 9 to 1 Egge slugs, cam reground to an Isky spec, hyd lifters, non adjustable rockers, weiand intake with 2 edelbrock 500 cfm carbs, made 366 hp on the dyno and gets 23 mpg. Which I'm fine with. Deuce with a 4 spd OD and 4.11 final gear, 31" tall rear tires
    Last couple years one of #1s lifters likes to bleed down (I know early hemis like to tick some til the lifters pump up) but it will be fine cold and tick intermittently when a driving temp. 15x40 Brad Penn conventional muscle car oil.
    So my plan is to get the engine freshened up and do a cam change to a solid stick as I prefer to run solids and run my own lash.
    Any recommendations for a solid cam and adjustable pushrod? Would like something with a little lump to it, current cam a little too smooth for me. Adjustable rockers are impossible to find up here and too darn expensive new with exchange.

Ricco39ford likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't help with the cam selection, but I can give you some information on adjustable push rods. I have a set of them in the '54 331 with an Engle Roller cam in my vintage dirt modified. A lot of people don't like them, and I will admit some of the adjustment nuts are hard to get to, but a torch and some cheap wrenches can solve that problem. I bent up a couple of them and now adjusting them, while no fun, is not the problem it once was. Other than that, they have served me well.

3. marfen

marfen
    from sask

thx for the headsup re the pushrods.

4. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Contact Orgon Cam they did a great job grinding one for my hemi and are very knowledgeable car guys