Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 54 Chevy build [emoji4]

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ceegan, Apr 30, 2019.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad you turned the shifter handle around. :):)

mario711, Early Ironman and Ceegan like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well , like previously said, keep your eye on the prize. I am sure you will be proud of your finished handiwork. Cannot wait to see it on the road. Your going to be styling for sure.

Ceegan likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sort of cool you have some provenance with the car being on the tv show and your Dads work put into it, prior to you take it over .:cool:

Ceegan likes this.
  4. Ceegan

Ceegan

Yea my dad saw that LOL

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49 and Early Ironman like this.
  5. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

So since I’m the “other jackass” you’re referring to, let me enlighten you as to why I’m coming off as a “jackass”. You come on here talking how you’re 17 and know nothing about these cars, but then when you get asked a question about glass, from people who have been around the block A LOT LONGER than you, you get all cocky and post some photo from a magazine claiming it’s your dads merc.. then saying “I know a guy” as if to brag that you’re a badass because of your “dad’s merc”. Notice how your thread went cold for a while, even though you were posting? That’s cause members on here don’t like cocky, know it alls. Then, you post more photos of the car that look like they were taken from a google search and claim “you don’t need to prove anything to you (me you’re referring to)” but then proceed to post more photos of the car “you don’t need to prove anything” about. I’m building a ‘54 right too, and I was looking forward to seeing your posts and it was cool seeing someone young getting into the hobby. But, now I don’t really care...good luck on the car and I hope it turns out awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tman, Oldkrow, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ceegan

Ceegan

Here’s the thing, I don’t know a lot. I may have many connections through my dad but that doesn’t mean I know how to put a car together.

Calling me cocky is completely wrong, from the time I started this thread I tried not to be. Never mentioned anything about myself and tried to keep my dad out of things.

You told me to look into the one glass guy you know and I did. He was overpriced and yet someone said that I shouldn’t cheap out on glass. To that I responded I know a few guys who would do it a lot cheaper and a single picture of one of my dads cars that “said other glass guys” did... I don’t see how that’s cocky.

To that you said it looked like a google image and I responded that I didn’t need to prove anything to you. Still not cocky.

Then a week later someone else on the forum calls you a jackass and asks for a pictures of the car nicely. So I replied with pictures of the car (I may of acknowledged him calling you jackass but never called you one directly).

Also my thread didn’t die because I was “cocky” It slowed down because I didn’t post anything about my car to it. Just responded to other people commenting on it.

Anyways I need to get back to work...

Cosmo49, 427 sleeper and craig b blue like this.
  7. Ceegan

Ceegan

Alright guys little update, I’ve been working on this car every day since my last post. I opted to go for quality over quantity on posts.

I got the engine and trans in the car and the alternator bracket on. [​IMG]

I also cut a hole in the floor for the shifter [​IMG]

Cut linkage for the transmission shifter

[​IMG]

Got seat in for mock-up

[​IMG]

Filled it with oil then pre oiled the car... I figured out the hard way that the oil pressure fitting needs to be installed for this lol.

[​IMG]

Made a transmission mount on my dads Cnc plasma. [​IMG][​IMG]

Ran engine wiring should be turn key for when start which will hopefully be soon.[​IMG]

Making progress I’m going to weld the cross member tomorrow so you guys get so some of my welds ... not looking forward to it

gsnort and DIYGUY like this.
  8. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Sometimes, Cheapest Is Not The Best!!

Ceegan likes this.
  9. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Keep going kiddo :cool: It's always refreshing to see a young guy in the hobby. Lets see what you got.

Cosmo49 and Ceegan like this.
  10. jimmy bruns

jimmy bruns
    from Chatsworth

bitchin!

11. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're doing very well, Ceegan. Congratulations. We old guys need to take it easy on the young 'uns, or else they won't ask us for help. No need to get our undies in a bundle, is there? Keep it up, young man. You may become a world famous custom car builder some day.

Cosmo49, Flamed48, Ceegan and 2 others like this.
  12. hotdamn

hotdamn

dude I wish like hell I was doing as much cool shit as you are when I was your age!! keep diggin homie

now as for your wind shield, I chopped my 54 years ago and was broke as hell and couldn't afford lexan let alone someone else to cut the glass so me and my buddy Jeremy cut it.

I went to harbor freight and bought a glass tile cut off wheel for 4" grinder, a couple of flap discs, a couple of moving blankets and a spray bottle

made a card board template first then used it to mark the windshield off with duct tape

we put the blankets on a plastic table outside

one of us slowly cut with the cut off wheel (very lightly) while the other used the spray bottle with water in it to keep the glass from getting hot. again cut very slowly and make many shallow passes.

we flip flopped back and forth from side to side always making sure the blankets had the windshield braced.

eventually we had cut everything off above the line

then we took the flap disc and carefully ground the glass giving it a bevel and rounding the corners (ONE SIDE AT A TIME!!!!!) that is very important. in fact if you have a mini belt sander that would be perfect, we were just working with what we had...

so yeah over the course of an hour or two we had cut my windshield.

2 other things,
    1: you can order the windshield rubber by the foot from steele rubber and just glue the seam
    2: look at how a stock windshield fits in a hole and cut yours accordingly, take into account for the size of the rubber and trim if you use it. just what ever your do don't cut the glass to the exact size of the hole, you'll be bummed.

Cosmo49, Ceegan and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  13. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I'm following along! Great work so far.

Ceegan likes this.
  14. allredskylar

allredskylar

You have a really good build going on I'm also 17 and building a kustom 49 ford[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

15. hotdamn

hotdamn

Hell yeah!! Where are you located?

Ceegan likes this.
  16. allredskylar

allredskylar

I'm in Houston Texas

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

17. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thank you, I will consider I have 2 sets of glass so I could possibly try and DIY it. Progress is real slow right now due to school and figuring out life because I’m 18 in a couple months . I will start working on it soon though!

Cosmo49 likes this.
  18. Ceegan

Ceegan

Cool build, I was going to build a shoebox... but I fell in love with the Chevy and went that route!

allredskylar likes this.
  19. You're doing awesome man, the best part of building a car is the obstacles, figuring out how to overcome them is the definition of experience. When it's done you can step back and say you built that. And the experience stays with you. Hang tough, you'll get it done

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Ceegan

Ceegan

[​IMG]Its Been a couple months, here’s what stopped me in my tracks. Cancer in the trunk which stopped me from mounting the gas tank. Well it’s time to get back at it so figuring out what the plan is and where I should cut... since the last post not much has been done!

48fordnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hello,just came up on ur thread.you remind me of myself at 15 yrs old ,except my dad was not a "car guy" anymore,so all I had for help was my older bro who was a lowrider...
    I built a 1953 210 coupe a couple years ago,I have chopped many cars,customs forever modo...from what I've seen in the pics,the windshield lines look to be aligned,which is very very important,or ur glass guy will not touch ur car.FYI,Allpro glass in Hesperia is a good source and knows his stuff.
    On my car I used the original rear glass opening,just cut down...most guys opt for the small window.here are some build pics...there are pics of car in my profile posts...keep it up,the 53-54 make a bad ass custom.. letgo1504457081825.jpeg letgo1504458498107.jpeg LetgoImage_1504457158227.jpeg LetgoImage_1504457251445.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T560NU using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. banditomerc

banditomerc

Here is before and after shots for motivation...

Attached Files:

Grabis, dan31, Ceegan and 2 others like this.
  23. Ceegan

Ceegan

Good looking build! Thanks for some inspiration!

24. The folks that asked about your glass fitting have about 2 centuries of hot rod experience combined. Best to listen to them. What they are getting at is not how good the glass guy is but whether factory glass will even fit the openings. Best to stop now and see what needs to be done with the tin rather than to keep pumping time and money into a body that may possibly be toast. Myself and others have seen this happen many times. BTW, I dig that you are working on a 54. I have owned two myself.