Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rim colour with unpainted cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keith27T, Oct 27, 2019.

1. X-cpe

X-cpe

Local vernacular be damned.

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vern Acular lived three houses down
    He drove a Hudson Wasp with chrome wheels, rims...black tyres

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Did something similar to my first car....a 49 Chevy......still think it looks good!

enigma57 and Cosmo49 like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had that same problem more than once myself!

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@Elcohaulic: My '46 Ford club coupe got painted by Flyer in San Jose. Midnight blue, like your stunning Elko.
    I went to see how he was doing, and he'd broken the wheels/tires down and painted them the same as body color...They were reversed Merc centers, Buick rims. (I didn't order that part...)
    However.
    With the black tires/'50 Merc 'ash cans' caps and Beauty rings, my NEW magnesium American Torq-Thrust wheels stayed in their boxes for a spell...
    LOVE that 'understated' look...
    My older childhood bud came to work for me in my shop, 1980. His full fendered 'A' Coupe was sanded, the now-popular 'splotch-patina' look. Cool rake, Dago axle, big-n-littles, but Phil had painted the wheels a bright school bus yellow-orange.
    Looked like he'd switched 'em with his '35 slant back! Phil was...'ahead of his time'. :rolleyes:

Blues4U and Elcohaulic like this.
  6. You’re not going to fix this.
    The only chance you have is one person at a time and that if someone asks you to do something with their rims,,, cut the centers out and then do what they asked

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every time I see the term "rim" I think of those big ugly 18 and inch up things that the other guys think are cool but destroy the looks of older rides and turn the vehicle they are on into the background for the rims.
    Freshly painted wheels and new tires on a car with crusty paint tells me that there may be hope yet that it gets a decent paint job someday.

X38, X-cpe, upspirate and 1 other person like this.
  8. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

My old truck is really low buck. I used the 15" wheels and tires off of the 85 F150 engine donor truck. They were really scuzzy and needed some type of color so I rattle canned them safety red. (see avatar pic) I don't really like them like that as they stand out too much. It's ok cuz they are only temporary but I think a ivory or cream color would have been better.

anthony myrick likes this.
  9. FAKE PATINA.....
    upload_2019-10-30_17-2-58.jpeg

nochop, jimgoetz and upspirate like this.
  10. upspirate

upspirate

Why waste time on the wheels if you aren't going to paint the rest of the car?

s55mercury66, Mark Yac and jimgoetz like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    When we were building our first 1940 Willys Coupe for the Gas Coupe and Sedan Class, I wanted a finished paint job. My brother wanted to paint it a primer while we put together the whole chassis/body prep. Before the tear down started, we had painted the rims silver, then white and primer. Those all looked strange. The 7 inch Bruce Slicks were already mounted on black, Chevy rims from the 58 Impala. That helped in the final decision. So, the black painted rims on black tires was the look of choice.

There are doubts as to whether the Willys Coupe was red primer or black primer. An early 1960 film shows black primer, but until we find those lost color films of our Willys Coupe racing at Lions on various Saturdays, the color will remain the red primer. My friend with the black 1934 Ford 5 window coupe sticks by the memory of the red primer, too. But, it was considered an “unpainted car” at the time.
    upload_2019-11-4_4-0-46.png

In 2017, I walked into the set up days at the first Lions Dragstrip Museum. Since my films were going to be shown, we were talking about where and how to display them. So, I was able to wander around the whole Price Transfer Automobilia display of cars by myself. That was a treat in itself. By the time the movie display talk was over and the displays were getting put in place, I was able to wander around on the way out of the whole giant complex.
    upload_2019-11-4_4-1-28.png thanks, @LUMPY 63
    with a C&O Stick Hydro no less…

But, one one aisle leading into the museum was the largest display of Willys coupes, sedans, convertibles, station wagon and sedan deliveries in the USA. And, in one corner, I almost dropped my camera. There stood a cool looking red primer 1941 Willys Coupe with black tires and rims. It was, in my mind at the time, what our own 1940 (split grille) Willys Coupe looked like back in February to August of 1960.
    upload_2019-11-4_4-2-29.png upload_2019-11-4_4-2-46.png 1960
    Here was almost the exact look and build of our own 40 Willys Coupe. Primer paint, black wheels, aluminum sheet for interior panels, almost stock trim and chrome. The only difference was the inside floor panel with a 4 speed shifter in place. Ours was a taller stick lever from the LaSalle transmission. The final two things were the black tow bar hitch laying on the floor, under the grille and the 671 SBC motor sitting against the wall behind the Willys Coupe. How much of a coincidence was that?

Jnaki

When I told my friend from back in those 59-60 days at Lions, he mentioned that we did leave the pristine (but, burned out) Willys Coupe sans running gear in a Wilmington surplus yard near Lions in August of 1960. So, could someone have driven by and purchased our old Willys Coupe for their next project? Maybe I am reading into the memory scenario, a little over the top.

But, looking at some of the old found projects here on these HAMB webpages, our old Willys Coupe would have been considered a “show car” as far as a pristine body was concerned after we left is on the salvage yard lot, unpainted.
    upload_2019-11-4_4-4-46.png colorized

Blues4U, Budget36, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  12. Thanks for this reply.
    Great car!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jnaki likes this.
  13. clem

clem

Different countries perhaps.
    Down here I have always referred to them as ‘rims’ or ‘wheel rims ‘.
    And yes, ‘wheels’ would refer to having the tyre fitted !

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  14. slowmotion

slowmotion

Reruns starting early this year...

X38 and upspirate like this.
  15. On my '47 the entire wheel is red due to the use of caps and beauty rims...
    20191104_120336.jpg

16. I'm passing on what a wise old man taught me.
    "If you want to go into town wearing faded jeans, be sure you have a shine on your shoes. Otherwise, you look like a homeless person."

*Substitute 'faded paint' and 'field car' if you need help switching on the light.

BigO and Blues4U like this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

If you're not gonna paint the friggin car, Why worry about the wheels?

jimgoetz and upspirate like this.
  18. From Phone 385.JPG
    I was considering clearing my rims in patina to match the truck... but now that you mention it, baby blue might work. Ignore the tire, I put some air in it since I took the picture.

19. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I'd use chrome rims on it if it has a big motor.

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  21. wheel/tire size/combo + stance + attitude = 99% of a rides coolness
    perfect paint and fit are a waste if the above is not achieved.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    MAD 034, keith27T, clem and 3 others like this.
  22. White, Red, Black, that's it.

23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I’ll try to explain, it’s pretty simple...
    Model T Fords and other cars of the era could have dismountable ”rims”with a tire.
    When changing a flat, the wheel was left in place and the rim with tire was changed.
    Model As have a one piece wire spoked “wheel”.

Since the dismountable rim was a very popular option in the 20s, the term rim became slang for wheel.

Besides the early 20s stuff, road tractors, dump trucks, farm tractors, trailers, wide 5 Fords of the late 30s and Early VWs are about the only vehicles that have true.....rims. Everything else uses a one piece wheel.

X38, kevinrevin, clem and 1 other person like this.
  24. Mike

Mike

Because wheels and tires, and stance are two of the most important aspects of a good looking car. Good wheels and tires, and good stance can make a rough car look bitchin'. Bad wheels and tires, and bad stance will make a otherwise beautiful car look like ass.

25. Mike

Mike

Back in the early '80s, I worked in a custom wheel shop. Part of our business was making custom steel wheels. The proper terms for the two parts of a steel wheel are the "center" and the "outer", so none of you are right.

Also, I've heard the term "rim" used meaning the entire wheel as far back as the mid '70s, well over 40 years. I'm reasonably sure that you have heard it used this way as well, and that you understand what he meant. I reckon you just want to give him a hard time.

Lighten up, Francis.

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

"Rims" has been used interchangeably with "wheel" around here since I can remember. Note how @jnaki used "rims" in his post above. Dude has been around this sport/hobby longer than most of you. Get over it. It's not like they're calling a mag a clip. Oooops, wrong forum..... ;)

27. Going with this yellow rim /wheel whatever you want to call it!

Attached Files:

AHotRod and CornfieldPerformance like this.
  28. The term “reversed rims” only adds to the confusion. That may suggest to some, that the wheel is put on inside out, but the rest of us understand. Rims, hoops, wheel shells and outer wheel rim are some of the terms I’ve heard. The center, has always been called a wheel center in my world. The whole assembly , a road wheel. Just don’t call me late for dinner.

keith27T likes this.
  29. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember the Volkswagen guys would run reversed Transporter wheels. Just turned them backwards.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app