Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG - 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

TROG - 2019

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

One of the best events in the COUNTRY great photogs thanks Boss

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks John, outstanding!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fixed it for you.

5. Incredible!

loudbang likes this.
  6. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Thank you so much Ryan!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Incredible photos! Such a great event.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Nice! Thanks for the ride.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

GREAT WORK!
    If a picture is worth 1000 words,,, we just read War and Peace

11. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Thanks Boss

loudbang likes this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah that’s pretty solid work. Great post

loudbang likes this.
  13. HybridAWD

HybridAWD

This year was my first trip to TROG and definitely won't be my last. I've been digging for my own Model A to build and submit to race at TROG ever since and now that SEMA is next week, my wallet is in for a hurting.

Your photos are great and I was jealous of those photographers in the pit area. Maybe one of these years Ill be a pit photographer out there lol. Good work!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for letting us Sea the whole story, Amazing!

ratrodrodder and loudbang like this.
  16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff ……..put him on the payroll

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Great pics! Looks like a great event.

Having been to both West Coast TROG events, and just attending the RPM Nationals this past weekend, I'd like to offer some comparisons of the 2 events from my perspective.

First off there is a lot of similarities between the 2 events. TROG in NJ may be on the beach, but in CA we had 1 on the beach and 1 on pavement. RPM Nationals held on a private airstrip was a similar setting, except it's held out in the country side, set among rolling hills, oak trees and dried fields. Not the posh setting of a premium hotel in Santa Barbara, but sill a paved strip. The events have the same feel, with the same type of cars and the same types of characters, even some of the exact same characters attended & competed in both. So there's more similarities than differences. If you like TROG, you'll like RPM Nationals. Same thing.

Differences: first off a smaller crowd at RPM Nationals, which I liked. If it continues I assume it will continue to grow, and eventually be the same size as TROG, but that's OK too. I just liked the smaller crowd. It allows better access without struggling for position with so many others.

Second, I sensed an older crowd at RPM. It may just be my perception, but it seems more of the drivers and more spectators are older, older than me anyway. At TROG they tend to be younger, a lot younger. RPM tends to draw grey haired, older hot rodders; TROG tends to draw the younger bearded and tattooed crowd. I'm OK with both, I don't care 1 way or the other, just something I noticed. Maybe I'm wrong on the demographics, but I don't think so. I like the respect for the old guys, and the passing on of knowledge and experience from the older to the younger. Some of the older guys did very well, while some of the younger guys really struggled with their set ups and their launch. Experience pays off.

Third, no motorcycles at RPM Nationals. While I am an ex-biker (haven't had my bike out in 20 years), and I really dig 40's Harley's and Indians, I like hot rods better, and to be honest, at the TROG races I was mostly just waiting for the bikes to get out of the way to let the cars run more. At RPM Nat's that wasn't an issue. IMO that's better. Sorry bike lovers, but that's how I feel about it. My preference between having the bikes and not having bikes is not having them, made for much better day of racing hot rods, IMO. Score 1 for RPM Nat's.

Fourth, RPM Nat's had a car show. Well, TROG does too, but it's more of a Custom Car show, with some really nice custom's, no doubt, great cars. And that's great. But RPM Nat's had pre-60 cars, show what you drove. Really, it's better parking for classic cars, and everyone in their DD's has to park farther away and walk farther. But still there were some great cars in the show, as the photos in my thread show. I mean, the Hawaiin was there, come on guys! And plenty of other awesome cars, that was great. Plus, I got to park close to event. I liked it better. TROG was supposed to have special parking for classic cars, it never materialized. Score another 1 for RPM Nat's.

Fifth, it looks liek TROG opened things up to non-Ford engines, that's cool. In fact, from the pics it looks like a flat head inline 6 won something. Very cool. RPM Nat's only had flathead Ford V8's, and bangers (flat head and OHV), plus 1 hemi that made an exhibition run. I'd love to see them open it up to inline 6's too. I'd love to see some flat head Chrysler 6's and Chevy OHV 6's compete against the flathead V8's, I think that would up the interest value a lot. Score 1 for TROG.

RPM Nat's had a swap meet. Score another 1 for RPM Nat's.

And finally, flag girls. TROG definitely has the better flag girls! Score another 1 for TROG.

At the end of the day, they are both great events, racing traditional hot rods, with scores of hot rod enthusiasts enjoying hot rods and classic cars, how can you go wrong? Everyone is going to have their own opinion, some will like 1 better than the other for whatever reason(s), but like I said above, if you like TROG, if you think it's a great event, the best hot rod event in the country, than you need to make a trip out to the RPM Nationals, you'll really enjoy it too.

18. loudbang

loudbang

To really enjoy the photos open them up to full size. Then you can see the small details that make them great. :)

ratrodrodder and Stogy like this.
  19. the-rodster

the-rodster

Wow! Super pics!

Rich

loudbang likes this.
  20. eddie1

eddie1

Thanks John & Ryan!

21. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

22. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love me some TROG. Great experience every year. I was fortunate enough to win the banger class with an OHV Sprint Car. The car was originally built in the mid 30s and raced throughout New England until the late 40s. Got her back in race form with work by Ray's Hot Rods and engine by Al Clark of Go Devil Garage. Ed Reed Racing Team lives on.

Ray's Hot Rods also built the Speed Age/Motorhouse belly tanker and had the maroon 831 car there too. The winning flathead car also had an Al Clark built engine. Track down both of these guys if you want to go fast in the sand or anywhere else,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Kenny P

Kenny P

Beautiful photos! Really did capture the feel of the event!
    A shame about the Motorcyclists having to wear the full face helmets this year,
    I understand why, it just takes away from the feel of the event in the photos.
    Been there 3 times, can't wait to go back again!

ratrodrodder and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, Wow and another Wow...Have Fun and experience the past today...I believe that mandate was fulfilled again...Thanks for sharing your views and @HelmuthBrothers you are a force...;)

ratrodrodder and loudbang like this.
  25. mgermca

mgermca

I was at the event this year and had a nice chat with John H. at the Friday car show that was separate from the customs show. Great pics John!
    To be clear, for anyone going as a paid spectator (35$/day or 50$/weekend), these are the images you will see if you are a competitor or have a press pass. As a spectator you will be 100 ft away from the racing which is OK but there is no longer access to the paddock/pits as it was restricted this year for 'safety' reasons, the same ones that mandated the roll bars and helmets.
    I am hoping the paddock access will change in the future as many car and motorcycle drag and road racing events allow paddock/pit access at their events and it enhances the experience for attendees immensely.

If you haven't been yet do yourself a favor and and git over there next year!

26. OK, I just looked/studied the photos, and they are real good. I don't know John Helmuth, but he has a great eye for this stuff. I'm old enough to remember the great photography in LIFE magazine of the 50s/60s. Their photographers were especially good at capturing the "feeling" of an event. You really got the sense that you were there.

John's take on TROG reminds me very much of the great days of documentary photography in LIFE magazine. He has captured the event perfectly. You can almost hear the engines, the roar of the surf and the old Harley's growling down the beach. Congratulations on a well done presentation, John...and thanks for taking us along.

27. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

John Helmuth gave us the complete package capturing the men, the machines, and the feel of the event. Thanks for not narrowing down the number of pictures. When I think about it, these are the best set of images I have seen of TROG, RPM Nats., or Hot Rod Hill Climb and I have attended or raced at all three.

28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Helmuth has a good eye, good composition, thanks for posting.

loudbang likes this.
  29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Outstanding photo coverage!

loudbang likes this.
  30. John captured the uniqueness of the event but.....WTF is this!!?? trog_wtf.jpg