Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need 1965 Pontiac Acadian parts info....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Oct 29, 2019.

1. trollst

trollst

My friend has a 1965 Pontiac Acadian, (same car as a nova) he is unable to get the correct parts for, apparently the acadian doesn't share some parts with a nova. He needs brake parts all four corners, shoes, wheel cylinders and possibly drums, fronts are 9 1/2 by 2 1/2 shoes, rear are 9 1/2 by 2 inch shoes, as well as the spring kits. Its a stock 283 car, driven all these years and never touched.
    So, who here knows where or what other gm cars interchange?
    Thanks guys.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe Pontiac Tempest parts? I wouldn't think the General didn't make unique parts for this car, and since this was marketed as a Pontiac, it's worth a try.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Try napa,rockauto

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Shoes can be reshod, I expect.
    Cylinders can be over hauled/sleeved.
    Take a drum into a brake shop and I figure they will be able to match it.
    Maybe better for the future to see if you could find a Nova wreck and get all the brakes and do a swap out.
    I expect they will probably all bolt on with little trouble.
    This could be a good chance to up grade front brakes to disc if you so desire.
    Take my comments for what they are worth as I have no knowledge of either cars involved, but as a layman that is where I would start...
    Happy hunting.

5. squirrel

squirrel

nothing so far sounds different from a Chevy II. Perhaps if you could provide more details about what exactly is different, it might help us help you.

6. trollst

trollst

First, we live in a small town in british columbia, reshoeing ain't happening, no brake shops within 3 hours. Napa and other parts stores say that nova stuff doesn't work, chevy 11 stuff is american and different, local parts houses are no help. I'm not doing this car, my friend is, and after chasing down the wrong parts twice, he's asked me to help, so I ask here with the best. He says rock auto has some sent, but not here yet and he has little faith they'll be the right parts. Thats the best I can do right now, the car is twenty minutes from here and I haven't seen it.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

9 1/2" brake shoes were very standard on many GM lines. Have friend take shoes to parts store to I.D. and match. The shoes are there. Body trim, that won't be there and that's what does not cross over onto Nova's.

9. squirrel

squirrel

If no Canadians with experience with this show up here to help...the best I can suggest, is to get some pictures and details, and see what we can do.

Since it's not your car, I can understand if nothing comes of this, it's a lot of work for you. But we can give it a try.

302GMC and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. I would have assumed a nova would be identical.

the big three did some funny things up here with “Canadian only models”
    But most where just fancy trim etc.

is it nope nova is different 100%
    Or just I can’t find Acadian on the computers drop down?

google shows them to be the same car?
    Not sure what to say?
    Looking at pics between the Acadian and nova they look the same.
    Even Wikipedia sows them identical.
    No clue

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@VANDENPLAS he needs your parts guy from your thread.

12. @Johnny Gee

Lol!!
    Try ‘em
    Albion auto parts on Britannia in Mississauga.
    Google em
    Two guys and a lady working the counter.
    All know there stuff.
    And they got all the books on the back counter for when us “ ball busters” looking for a sperving bearing, a triangulated Pham bar or a nova trunnion, never mind the delta loboloid coupler for a 73 dodge !

lothiandon1940 and Johnny Gee like this.
  13. trollst

trollst

Thanks guys, I think they'd be the same as chevy II or nova but my friend says the parts he's gotten are wrong. There has to be some interchange with other gm stuff, I think part of the problem here is lack of specific knowledge from "partsmen", not a lot of good parts people anymore who understand their trade. Jim, tomorrow I'll try to get some pics if I can find the time.

VANDENPLAS and squirrel like this.
  14. To confuse the canucks a bit more - the 64/65 version of Chevelle was also called Acadian. 66 they went with Beaumont for the Chevelle line

15. Slow down

Slow down

Try Canadian poncho [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

16. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I changed the title so maybe the right people will see your thread and open it....

trollst and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Edit- I just reread your reply post. Not sure how long the stuff will take to get there but Rockauto's catalog system has always done well for me. For others......Everything but the drums are available from Rockauto, see below. You do have to select Canadian sold cars when searching. I'm sure if you did a little legwork with the part numbers listed you could figure out what else they fit. The parts stores should have some type of cross reference.....

upload_2019-10-30_8-18-46.png

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

See below....

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

21. trollst

trollst

Thank you Moriarity, much appreciated.
    LeRoy.

VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  22. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They were just retrimmed Novas, so all drivetrain would be the same. Maybe they just sent the wrong part as compared to what was ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Johnny Gee, j-jock and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Probably dealing with parts guys who were born too late to know what an Acadian is.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. trollst

trollst

Biggest problem has been getting the correct wheel cylinders. Apparently he has the front shoes, needs rears and cylinders.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

rock auto does list them. Different from Chevy II.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The oddest part of all this is that GM Canada built both the Chevy II (Nova) and the Acadian (Canso) and as far as I know, in the same plant, Oshawa.
    I'm curious if the wrong parts they are sending are for the 65 Acadian Beaumont application which was based on the Chevelle platform.

A little trivia for the south of the border people.
    Here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_(automobile)

VANDENPLAS and upspirate like this.
  27. upspirate

upspirate

Damn foreign cars!!! LOL:D
    Sounds like looking up parts for '60's Mopar....what plant was it built,month,day,etc
    Yes, I used to sell parts back in 1971-72 at a real parts house

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. My 63 Acadian had brakes from a 66 Nova in it. Changed them over so I could have 5 bolt pattern on the front. It was a direct bolt in, as was the 68 Camaro rear end. ALL the stuff should interchange between the Nova and the same year Acadian. They were identical cars other than rebadging. There might be some differences between the base models and the SS/SD models though. Is the Acadian a Sport Deluxe? Might make a difference.

29. Acadian Canso (Chevy II/Nova) and Acadian Beaumont (Chevelle/Malibu) were two completely different beasts.

ClayMart and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

j-jock likes this.