Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lokar Shifter on a 727, Shifting Issue.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Oct 25, 2019.

1. No it’s pulling it back, look at the neutral/ backup light switch

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. The cable bracket mounts behind the shift levers, so while a stock linkage pushes on the lever, the cable pulls on it from the other direction. Found this photo in the HAMB classifieds.

8A95D212-DCFD-43E4-B555-4872FBF3FDAC.jpeg

3. So having done a little research over the last few day, with the vehicle sitting, it makes sense a valve is sticking in the transmission. Are the valves serviceable or does the entire valve body need to be changed? Will definitely pull the an off in the spring first to see what’s going on.

Thanks,

Allan

4. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

You can clean the one sticking valve or disassemble and clean the entire valve body or replace the valve body. I don’t know that the valves could be replaced. Normally just stuck from debris or funky fluid.
    Might be able to free it up with a pick and some carb spray.

5. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Lots of you tube videos on 727 valve body

6. That was part of my research. lol

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Find yourself a ATSG manual to cover it.

8. daliant

daliant

I think what you need is a light spring on the throttle valve lever at the transmission just to pull the slack out of the cable. Mopar automatics can be finicky when it comes to throttle pressure where it affects shift points.

9. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

A friend of mine bought a really clean 85 or so Chrysler from a old man in the 1990's. It was a really sweet clean perfect car. It drove great, then he took it out and floored it to see what it would do. After that it wouldn't shift out of low. He called me as I used to fix his cars. Come to find out, what had happened was- The old guy who owned it never got past about 1/4 throttle. The throttle valve lever never went to full throttle for years. When my friend floored it the throttle valve went to full and stuck. There is a spring that should bring it back but it was really stuck. If my friend would have really floored it - it probably would have shifted to 2nd, but then there would be a very high 2-3 shift also. Anyway I jacked up car and saw the stuck lever. I pushed it back with my hand and it snapped back. I sprayed some penetrating oil on the lever pivot and worked it back and forth. Then car was fine until he sold it years later. If I were you I would remove the cable from the throttle valve and push it forward. Leave cable off and take it for a slow/easy drive. See if it shifts then but don't nail it as it will shift easy and sloppy. ( If this works) If it does work you know you have to figure out the linkage. This may save you from pulling the pan- Good luck!