Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do I run a fan on this intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guessing at this point, you must not have any fabrication skills. I'm sure there has to be someone around your area that can make one for you.

3. adam401

adam401

If it we're me id fabricate a bracket that mounted to the 4 front most intake manifold bolts. That bracket would mimic the stock mounting area with the same adjustment.

Its totally doable but heres what I really think. Shelf that intake for now. There's enough bullshit to contend with building a car. Especially your first build.

You can always run that later. Intakes pop up for reasonable. Buy a 2 2 intake that allows the generator to mount stock and retains the road draft tube. Everything will bolt together and most importantly it will be easily serviceable. Do what you want. It can be done but Ive built and modified all kinds of cars my whole life. Simple is best. When you hit alot of road blocks sometimes you need to keep thugging it out. Other times its the speed gods giving you a nudge to go a different route. Good luck.

cactus1 and Hnstray like this.
  4. Boden

Boden

I was just mocking up a bracket that would mount to two of the timing cover bolts. And it would sink the fan down a little straight in front of the motor. It looks pretty good to me and wouldn’t be hard to do. That might be tomorrow’s project

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Can you even chew gum at the same time????

6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I have to say I admire you for wanting to use the gift your grandparents gave you. You could mock up something using hardboard and hot glue ,a pattern, and then take it to somebody to do the fabrication for you.
    You should put your location in your signature, somebody might be close that could give you a hand. You dont have to get it down to a street address, just a general location.
    Threads like this make me realize how spoiled I was growing up. We didnt have a lot, but the old man was always making stuff, repairing stuff. I got a good education, being his "GO-GET-ME" man. ..even though I hated it at the time.
    Good Luck

cactus1 and Boden like this.
  7. Boden

Boden

So. This I what I have in mind. The black highlited marks (somewhat transparent) are the parts of the bracket. And the dark lines on the bracket are where the fan bracket mounts to the bracket. I meant to say fan and not generator in the picture. IMG_1751.JPG

8. Boden

Boden

And this all will stick out however much is needed to run a belt in line with the crank.

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boden one of the things I have learned about this hobby is you search for information and get a lot of input, sometimes too much. There are multiple ways to do things so you just need to figure which idea will work in your situation and then take action. Worst that can happen is the first attempt or two doesn't work out. You learn something and then you get it right.

lothiandon1940, Hnstray and Boden like this.
  10. Boden

Boden

I’ve noticed that. Haha. First with my first ever project. My old go kart. When I was trying to put a v-twin into it. (Did 75mph in that) don’t tell my parents. Haha. And took many tries to get the motor mounted right and all of that. But in the end it all works out. I’m very prepared for that.

lothiandon1940, GordonC and Hnstray like this.
  11. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

saltflats likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

Monkey, that's exactly what I told him to make in post #11. He said he couldn't do it.

I give up on this.

Boden, WiredSpider and Inked Monkey like this.
  13. The link in post 41 to a fabricated bracket looks like a good alternative to the hard to find and expensive discontinued item.

Phil

Boden and Hnstray like this.
  14. Boden

Boden

I didn’t see that. Sorry. Couldn’t picture thagv

15. 8-Track

8-Track

16. @8-Track, is that your fan mount? Is that photo from a build thread or how to thread?

Phil

Boden likes this.
  17. 8-Track

8-Track

This is a photo i found a couple of years ago. when i was trying to figure out a fan.
    not sure where it came from.