Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tractor battery box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckbuilder, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Thats a good point - thx for mentioning.
    I was planning on dumping the exhaust out in front of the back tire on both sides? (Just below running boards, i think)

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I’m not a fan of running the battery under the car because so much crap on the road these days to take it out. If it’s protected thats a bit better but usually hard to get to if needed.
    I like to use vintage coolers like Coke Hamms ets ,as they are double walled metal and you can carry a good size battery and a hand full of tools or bottle jack. We stick this inside the trunk rumble area but have done them in the truck bed as well... they aren’t ugly and can drill a hole in the bottom to run the 3/0 cables and vent it as well.. image.jpg

7car7 likes this.
  3. Dirk35

Dirk35

Run your exhaust 1st, keeping in mind that a battery needs to go in there somewhere. That'll help you figure out just where to put the battery.

FWIW, in my Model A Sedan Tudor, I made a taller seat riser with the top on hinges. The seat bottom bolts to the hinged top of the riser (like a home would have for a bay window seating area. The people that sit in the back cannot see anything out the front window, they sit up so high. I got to figure out how to recess my battery a few inches into the floor.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  4. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

put mine in a coke cooler
    [​IMG]

7car7 and continentaljohn like this.
  5. upspirate

upspirate

Don't know your build style, but a luggage rack on the back with a travel trunk trunk could hold the battery and be useful for some storage

6. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Great idea - definitely my style. I’ve been mulling my options after jetnow1 and Dirk35’s comments about the exhaust system.

7. On my '28 Tudor I went with a generic battery tray on eBay and cut it down to fit the group 51 battery I'm using. It's under the passenger floor board.
    battery box-1.jpg

8. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

That’s pretty slick, 1oldtimer. I just looked and i see those on speedwaymotors, too. i built this, recently, but i might have to grab one of those prefab units to try out, too.
    (The jack cradle is tacked on so i could position my battery/mount from below, just fyi.)

28E5E54A-1E6A-455A-BD3E-0AC1EE9560E9.jpeg F0E69B0E-B816-4090-A0C9-7AABF20584D5.jpeg 41796010-B43F-4854-990A-84B8E735AAC1.jpeg

9. I found the cheapest one I could (just happen to be on eBay and I wanted cheap as I was cutting into it). I ended up sectioning it length and width wise. The group 51 is mostly for Honda cars, is pretty small and in stock everywhere. I hung it pretty low under the frame and just made 2 braces to keep the cantilever movement to a minimum.

I have to start back on the '28 again soon.

Started it's life as a cheaper version of this:
    [​IMG]