Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tractor battery box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckbuilder, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

On the topic of batteries:

I'm thinking of battery mount locations for a traditional flooded, group ___ battery.

I know I can buy a small PC680/PC925 AGM battery, but my fear is that I have battery issues somewhere I can't find a replacement and I'm stuck because of it. (I've been on many, many road trips and having a car with common components is a God-send when you're in BFE. My list includes transmission, u-joint, battery, alternator, radiator, tire, wheel, brake failures - sometimes in very remote areas like Glacier national park/Canada, etc.)

Now, regardless of which battery I choose - I do not want to bury my battery within/under the vehicle for several reasons:
    1. Clearance
    2. protection from road debris
    3. Access
    4. solving the venting issue with flooded battery.

For a small AGM battery, I would plan on mounting it on the firewall next to the motor. For the larger battery, I am considering a fender/running board mounted battery box similar to mid-20's Ford/Dodge sedans.

One thing I'm finding fairly affordable are tractor battery boxes.
    https://www.completetractor.com/new...ll&gclid=CLrlkqeS3eQCFdVggQodTb0PGw&gclsrc=ds

I think it would look pretty cool in a solid, bold color like the red that is pictured.

Anyone care to weigh in? I'm open to opinions related to this type of car. (no trunk or truck bed to speak of, which is where I'd throw it if I had the choice). Planning on staying full fendered, but I guess the smaller AGM would allow me to remove them if I wanted to, down the line.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  2. That is a Farmall battery box designed for a group 1 six volt battery. This is the same size used on my tractors, when I convert to 12volts, I use a group 29 battery and it fits perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

In my T bucket, I ran a small lawn and garden battery in an old steel Craftsman toolbox. But that car didn't need much elctricity...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Good to know, thanks!

5. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

My honest opinion which means nothing, the photo above with the battery box mounted as is ... looks like crap.
    I would shrug my shoulders and walk on by, wondering what else may have been done wrong.

Must be a better option, Trunk, under floor, behind the seat?

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, that does stick out like a sore thumb. I'd be putting it under the floor, with an access hatch in the floor so you can get to it. Kind of a hassle, but it seems to be the best option.

7. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Thanks for the input.
    1. This is a four-door sedan - No trunk
    2. behind the front seat is the rear seating area. if you mean behind the rear seat, I really don't want either A) a buried battery that I have to vent or B) a buried, expensive AGM that I have run 7-8 ft of 00 wire to.
    3. Under floor could be an option. I might look more into that, but it's not really want I want for the reasons stated (access, ground clearance, protection from road debris)

8. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Yeah, for me it's a hassle, but I'm definitely considering how I could make that work. I'm baby-stepping into fab-work on this project. Appreciate the input from both of you.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  9. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

I could also just throw a PC680 on the firewall like the pic. Probably end up being the same cost, but a lot less time investment than other options. (battery box, or the custom mount/underfloor fab.)

Attached Files:

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

But not very traditional looking, eh?

11. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

If you have the room for under the floor, you can see from my non existent box, it was done and did work.
    I have a couple of frame mounts and a battery tray. Other then a missing battery hold down clamp, not sure the factory did anything different.
    I actually would like to have the tractor box like you posted, then add it to my setup.

IMG_20190919_153008657.jpg

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They make low profile sideposts batteries that are designed to go under the back seat and have vent tube hookup on them. An old Audi 5000 we had had one and the 2K Cad dts I have out in the driveway has one that packs enough poop to start about anything. Not cheap batteries but they solve inside the car venting issue and are readily available. It seems that Some VW's had the battery under the back seat too but I am not sure which ones.

13. All of the air-cooled Beetles had 'em under the rear seat..

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

where would you put the battery on a Model A pickup? I dont want it under the floor

15. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Right...i’d be open to tucking that one away somehow.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Mine is under the bed. The whole bed floor is removable to access the battery, or the driveline, or whatever. If your bed is not removable, that makes it a little more difficult. There's still under the floor of the cab.

17. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Thats your choice. I would try to keep things stock myself, But for another option on a pickup. I might build a wooden trunk that would sit in the bed, could carry the battery and a few tools, make it look likes it belongs there.
    Something I have thought about in the past, these old wine barrels that are worn out for wine, but a couple of these in the back of the truck. Looks like the truck is at work and doing something, you could modify them to be useful storage containers.
    [​IMG]
    I just wanted to give my opinion that I would not put the battery in a tractor box on the running board.

18. 6sally6

6sally6

Think I would convert it BACK to hand crank before I would stick a red box on the outside of such a good looking vehic.
    You ax'ed-ed
    6sally6

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If your not using the stock gas tank, mount it under the dash.. I've done this before with a slide out-drop down full size battery and it worked out quite well....

20. cshades

cshades
    from wi

what I have done on the last few builds is to make a heavy steel t bracket that I weld to the frame in the cowl, front fender area. I make my own battery box that bolts to the t bracket and a inner fender shield to protect the battery itself. I mount the battery to the side that has the starter and if you have to you can run a short cable with a junction block for recharge/jumpstart.

21. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Hahaha.
    Don’t sugar-coat it next time, just tell me straight, ok?

22. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

This is interesting. Do you happen to have a diagram or picture of what you’ve done?

23. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Thank you for the web page. That’s a really nice box for the price. I ordered one for me. Thanks again

chryslerfan55 and Lowbuckbuilder like this.
  24. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I actually have a 47 chevy truck under construction right now. the front clip is off so I can take a pic of that part tonite but I haven't made the fender liner yet.

chryslerfan55 and Lowbuckbuilder like this.
  25. 6sally6

6sally6

You KNOW I was just-yank'in-your-chain......or something?!

26. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Yessir, i’m pickin’ up whatchur puttin’ down. ;)

27. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Good stuff. What's your application? for an actual tractor, or do you adapt them, like I'm considering?

28. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

268FFB7B-583E-48DD-826F-5571848CADB5.jpeg 76792B76-C374-42E7-8113-C710BE3152C7.jpeg 02F53B60-D206-43BD-86E0-F55B1EBEFED2.jpeg Ok, been working. This is the way i think i’m gonna go, under the rear floor. Between the spring and the pinion, in front of the axle.

I have a crossmember and the frame rail to tie into. Going to either fab up the mount or buy one from Speedway. Then i’ll clean up the hole and fab up a gasketed cover that’ll live under a floor mat, most likely.

29. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Then, i’m picking up some firewall positive/negative posts to jump the battery (or someone else's) when i need to.

30. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Keep in mind you need to run exhaust somewhere, not much room left there.