Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Strange 400 Pontiac engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny G 500, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Deuces

Deuces

2. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Pontiac Bore. Stroke Mains
    400 4.120 3.750 3.000
    428. 4.120 4.000 3.250

Remove sparkplug and use a wire and roll engine over and check stroke. If you can not do this then dont put any badge on the car and be done.

Johnny G 500 likes this.
  3. I’m resisting the urge to be an ass like I usually am but if we all ended up in the same bar I would drink 31Vicky’s share of beer, I don’t drink tequila!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. glrbird

glrbird

Anybody got a P & G kit?

5. My first car was a 68 Pontiac bonneville convertible with a 428. That was a great car for many years.

Sadly Ohio rust ate again and faster than I could fix. The frame eventually broke and it got parked waiting for repairs. The repairs never happened and the car went to Pontiac heaven. Before we called the tow truck the engine and trans was pulled. It ran flawlessly and I had a 66 GTO and a 67 firebird at the time.

Kept the 428 in my folks garage for a long time. Moved it to my own house once I finished my garage. I moved it from Ohio to Colorado. Then I moved it back. When I got back here there really wasn’t a place to keep it.
    So I had it outside propped up on tires covered with a couple tarps. I’d long since sold the Firebird and the GTO but kept the 428 for 20 plus years.
    I tried selling it, I tried giving it away, finally I had to just scrap it because of the bitching and moaning.

Johnny G 500 likes this.
  6. Your 67 GP convertible would love to have the AC hooked back up.
    F0CB1D25-5A0E-44D9-AB5A-71E195A0B1F1.jpeg

Johnny G 500 likes this.
  7. Johnny G 500

Johnny G 500

If I was as young as you guys and my beer belly was a lot smaller, I could probably crawl under the car. As for the A/C, the previous owner gave me all of the parts so that will be a winter project. 31 Vicky, I love the color of the truck! RED RULES!! I talked with the guy who rebuilt the engine and he has pictures of all the numbers. He is sending them to me.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. You don’t have a jack? Or ramps?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. ... or an oil change place ? Inspection garage ? Or skinny kid who doesn't rub cake all over his face ?

10. Johnny G 500

Johnny G 500

I drove it up the ramps, crawled under and only saw a giant oil pan (which is leaking, btw). So I put my cell phone on a selfie stick and took pictures of everything I could see but couldnt see the freeze plugs...

11. Joe H

Joe H

Go back a page and look at the photos of the 455 block I posted. The drivers side front can likely be seen from the top, just reach down and feel for it, then stick your camera down for a photo. Its about the only part of the block you can see from the top side.

12. Okay. Twice before this post, you said that it was an XJ code.
    Then this post..So I have to ask where you got the info on the code.

13. o_O