Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chevy 4 door gasser build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Danbeverage55chevy, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Hey everyone. First build thread and first gasser build. I’m coming from the Toyota rock crawling world. Always wanted a 55 since I saw 2 lane black top and American graffiti. So I decided to take a break from rock crawling and build my dream rod.
    SPECS:
    1955 Chevy 4 door 210
    Corvette 327 64-5??
    283 powerpak heads
    Unknown cam
    Hedmen long tubes,
    2.5 pipe to h pipe
    Flow master super 10s
    Exit in front of rear tires
    Saginaw 343 trans hurst “Indy” shifter on floor
    Ford 9” 3:08 gears
    Drums front and rear
    Recently took off the worn out Holley and installed a new 600 cfm Holley and eps manifold
    100% woke this car up. I have the original Edelbrock torker manifold
    I have big plans for this build! Always seeking knowledge

Attached Files:

Torkwrench, TimCT, Butch M and 5 others like this.
  2. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Did some body work on it. Started patching the fire wall and body where the trim was attached [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Picked up a metal flake wheel from so cal speed shop and also got a great deal on these long tubes from “ in rust we trust” swap meet in Sacramento [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Driving through my neighborhood today I noticed a garage sale and picked these up for a steal! Started cleaning them up and noticed no breather holes in either one. Probably hanging them on the garage wall for now. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

I’ll post updates as I have them. Almost daily! Thanks for reading. Plans are to solid axle if. Possibly do a gasser IFS style front end. Not sure yet. Seeking knowledge on both. Also brakes! Drums are scary on this ride!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Good enough for me, Never saw too many 55s I didnt like!
    Keep up the good work!
    ( I like 4 doors too, but Im sure you will be interested in seeing the 2 door conversion threads on here)

7. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

I’ve already been searching. That’s what finally got me to create a account and start a build thread

8. Nice start and good score on those 327 M/T's, don't drill them for breathers because there's plenty out there already with oil fill / breather holes.

9. Should be a fun project. You do realize there's a big difference between 64 and 65 327 /250's right?
    BTW, you're probably using too much heat /weld on those holes. Yes ,you can straighten it out but you're making more work for yourself. ;)

Danbeverage55chevy likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Those M/T valve covers are the staggered pattern mounting, even though they say "CHEV 327" inside of them. Depending on the year of your Power Pack heads, they could either be staggered or straight across mounting pattern. Judging by the valve covers on the engine, I'm guessing they're the straight across pattern. Who knows why M/T made them staggered pattern for the "Chev 327" (327 came out in 62, the change of staggered to straight pattern occurred in 1959 1/2)? Actually a little more rare than straight across pattern M/T valve covers, so leave them as they are. One of our members here, and over on ChevyTalk.Org, is "2Loose". He built a 4 door, Model 150, with a blown Oldsmobile engine and a 5 speed transmission, along with a 9 inch rear end; check it out. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

All kinds of options to swap to disc brakes if you want to. Drum brakes shouldn't be scary though unless you drive like on a road course all the time.

12. If you plan to get disc brake kit, be sure to ask questions. Some companies use metric parts. Not a bad thing, but I just like SAE wrenches on my car. Cool project. Ah, yes, another 'vette engine.
    Are you planning a 2 door conversion?

13. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

I was all about doing the 2 door conversion, but then realized it’s all the same view out of the windshield. I’m just enjoying it for now. Learning as I go. Thanks for the positive input everyone. Very glad I made a build thread. I always have a ton of questions.

14. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Also, I’ve SPENT hours trying to identify my block. I can find nothing except it was a flint built block, June 11th built from what I gather. Any help on this would be appreciated [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. .......Squirrel will know.:)

16. Budget36

Budget36

Yes he will, let's page him;)

@squirrel

17. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

“I was all about doing the 2 door conversion, but then realized it’s all the same view out of the windshield. I’m just enjoying it for now. Learning as I go. Thanks for the positive input everyone. Very glad I made a build thread. I always have a ton of questions.”

I like your attitude! Keep up the good work.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Look at the back of the block, on top, just in front of the bellhousing. Should be another couple of number sequences, one will be 7 or 8 digits, the other will be a letter followed by 2, 3, or 4 digits. Let us know what they are, then we can figure out for sure what the engine started life as.

of course that won't tell us what's inside it now...

Also, don't be disappointed if it turns out it's a 283, not a 327.

19. Fordors

Fordors

The GF suffix shows your block to be a 283, if it has no side mounts cast on the block it is a ‘57, if the mounts are there it is a ‘64 or ‘65.

20. squirrel

squirrel

I don't see GF for 64, only for 65-67 283. And 56 265, and 57 283 with Turboglide and FI (which is totally unlikely). But I'm looking in old Chevrolet parts books, so who knows.

21. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Then motor is pressed back in the firewall pretty hard. It does have castings in the side for motor mounts. I’ll head outside and use a mirror and flashlight to try and get a better idea. Thanks for the replies

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

It's most likely a 65-67 283 from a full size Chevy. The specific year doesn't really matter much, as far as what the engine started as, there were very few changes over those years.

btw when you buy a car or an engine, the seller can tell you anything. If you want to know what it really is, you have to find a way to determine that for yourself. Or else assume that it's the least desirable version, rather than the most desirable.

23. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

Thanks for the insight, I was hoping the guy was telling the truth. Looked like a 327 to me. Came with the car I didn’t pay any extra for it. No harm no foul. Whatever it is it runs awsome has a nasty cam in it and loves 6200 shifts! I need to find a Muncie 4 speed. M20-m22 and re gear that 9” to a 3:70-3:90. I drive it around town and to work sometimes

Old wolf likes this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

The thing about Chevy engines is they all look the same, mostly :)

As long as you're having fun, that's what counts.

25. Danbeverage55chevy

Danbeverage55chevy
    from Concord

I don’t get hung up on this kinda stuff to much. I saw a add online for cars and coffee today in my town (concord ca) so I figured I’d check it out. No muscle. Air bagged Honda’s, scions, new challengers with straight pipes. I did see a Datsun truck with a ford 302 swap. Wish I took some more pics. We have 80 mph wind today and I was trying to keep the hat on my head and dust out of my eyes

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2019
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hope you are saving up for that M-22!

27. Welcome to the HAMB. Ya gotta avoid posting pictures of off topic cars though. Looks like you have a great start to a cool hot rod!

28. yep its a 283 I can tell from the larger rib next to the pad with the stamped numbers. the 67 283 did not have that larger rib it resembles a 327 block so you have a 66 or older 283. Yep 308 is too tall rear gears. a 411 would be good.

29. I thought they were 3.00 ratio commonly available.. Early trucks had a 3.07 and 3.10 I think.
    Not that matters much if the o/p is a little off..but could be off by a mile too ;)

30. Also , Saginaws were 3.11 or 3.50 first gear Again, no big deal..283? 327? No problem.