Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stripping paint with wire wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pbr40, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I saw what the sand blaster did to a buddy’s ‘32 sedan decades ago and decided to never do that.
    Oh I hear there’s a right way but I will use paint stripper every time because I have confidence in the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Haven’t used this but on another board it recently was enthusiastically recommended by several. Adjustments.JPG

I’m probably just as likely to go with dustless blasting but the claim is this doesn’t heat the panel (member said it warmed by 8 degrees in his testing)

pbr40 likes this.
  3. noboD

noboD

I stripped my '24 DB with a cup wheel on a 4 inch grinder. Had several coats of paint, no warp, no problems.

4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Each stripping job needs to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. What works well on 50 year old original paint may not work as well on something that has multiple layers of Farm and Fleet enamel on it, and so on. Be prepared to experiment a little, and don't neccessarily lock yourself into one particular method.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one on a whim.

I'm not retired, so I don't have the time or patience for slow processes, and I won't risk some jackass ruining my projects (again)

That said, it is quick, and the drums go a long way. I have not seen any damage.

6. cshades

cshades
    from wi

i bought a sct contour tool from eastwood. I haven't used it much but I did try it on my 39 chevy truck fender. I spent about 10-15 minutes and was quite pleased with the results 004.JPG 005.JPG

7. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

That’s a great way to think! New paint is 180 different then 50 old paint. That’s a great point to take into consideration!

8. safety goggles are a must with (any) wire wheel, regardless of quality. Those little wires are painful as hell or worse if they find an eye. Even the best wire wheels reach a point where those individual wires just seem to give up the ghost and release. Leather apron ain't a bad idea either.

9. texkbc

texkbc

I have used many of these to take down to bare metal blaze.JPG

10. I'm a fan of the Norton Rapidstrip also. They work great.

coupe man and pbr40 like this.
  11. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

How much are the drums? Think it would take 3 or 4 drums to do a car?

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done two cars worth of parts.

I am still on the original drum.

Mopar Tony likes this.
  13. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well for the money it may not be too bad then.

14. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fellow I know sand blasted with sand '57 Chevy . Result. Oil canning throughout the entire body.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody mentioned another caveat to using a wire brush for cleaning/stripping. Too much heat, too much speed, linger too long, you'll get deposits of carbon steel on the surface. The next step is that little to nothing will adhere properly. Even if you use the tinning fluid for solder it still peels off like foil. Under a painted finish it manifests as peeling or blistering, sometimes within months, sometimes a couple years. So if you've ever worked your ass off on that frame, got it all wire brushed from hell, primed and painted nice enough to make you smile, then had a major WTF moment as to why it peeled off and rusted in just a few short months or years it's likely the burnt steel deposits left over from the process. The best way to mitigate that effect is by abrasive sanding or aggressive metal prep and scuff pad. This doesn't mean it can't be done, it means lower speeds, balanced pressures and paying pretty strict attention to what you leave behind. Or in a more direct garage speak way, it's a pain in the ass.

loudbang and Rickybop like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an Eastwood Contour that does work and is fantastic on light surface rust.
    I picked up a couple of those disks that Cheaterslick showed and they work like a bandit and seem to last decently.
    I've used a cup brush a lot on heavier metal and some on sheet metal but you want to make sure that the one you use has never been used on greasy pieces or you risk contamination of the metal. Worse thing with wire wheels or cup brushes is flying wires. Those things will hurt you if you aren't wearing face protection.

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just have to say...
    I really appreciate threads on our technical processes, even for the seemingly simple stuff. The answers seem easy enough sometimes, but then there are always some of you guys who take the time and effort to share a little more in-depth. And you just have to know that it saves a lot of other people a lot of time, money and grief... LOL.
    Thanks to all who contribute.
    Everybody have a good day!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pbr40 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I especially appreciate it right now... cuz I'm sneaking up on this Chrysler.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. X-cpe

X-cpe

Don't never, ever put one in a die grinder. Young and dumb. De-carboning a cylinder head. Cool how fast it worked, how polished the chamber was, how the cup flared and the tips turned bright orange. NOT cool when it pitched the wires forty eleven feet in all directions.

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I noticed while looking for an extended nozzle for a pressure washer to reach farther I got an attachment that will suck sand from a bucket and spray it out with the water..Key is its made by the pressure washer manufacturer so is tuned to work..Next sandblast effort I will try it, slightly worried about quick surface rust forming..I have noticed that Eastwood has a similar attachment .

21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have used a needle scaler to clean many frames and axle housings , and pipe and fittings to be welded . I have stripped a few bodies and tanks on projects in the past using a right angle grinder and wire wheel . Again you must use PPE , and use your head . You can warp up a Battle Ship , if you do not use your head . Once cleaned , a wipe down with Gibbs and enjoy your effort for a long time with out any issues . Older paint will fly off , newer stuff will take more effort and time , it seems to melt , but it will come off easily .