Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mart's 41 pickup: Broken axle investigation. VIDEO!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart

The eagerly awaited sequel.

I show some things that may be of particular interest to any Early Ford owner.

I tear the axle apart IN SITU. Just dismantling the left side of the casing. I did it without dismantling the brakes which I didn't realise I could do until I tried it.

I bust the hubs loose using the Vintage Precision puller. I share some insights about rear hubs and the puller.

I pull the guts of the axle out the one side. I've heard that discussed before but never done it before or seen it done.

I pull the carrier apart and find the culprit. Smoking gun identified.

Have a look:

Mart.

2. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Sometimes axles brake at the other end of a hot rod. This cost me 3 broken ribs and totaled the car! fullsizeoutput_7e3.jpeg

nochop likes this.
  3. Mart

Mart

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Always enjoy watching your videos Mart. Seeing your calm demeanor inspires me to try and do the same while working on my toys. Thanks and keep them coming!

osage orange likes this.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for taking us along for your repair. Quite interesting !

One critique, however - please, please, get rid of those sheet metal jack stands and get some heavy duty ones or at the very least, NEVER place any part of your body underneath the car while it's raised up on them. I had a friend killed when one of the Chinese welds broke and the car landed on his chest. No one was around and he died of internal damage & suffication.
    I cut mine up before tossing them, so no one else could ever use them and bought some cast steel units. I even back those up with large blocks of wood, just in case.

rat bastad, belair and Truck64 like this.
  6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I don't want to sidetrack Mart's post, but that is a pretty provocative picture with little explanation. As that axle is probably on thousands of hot rods, I must ask, Is that broken axle the cause or the result?

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

The “spirited manor” did the weld in, Cheers mate

Mart likes this.
  8. Mart

Mart

Or the many spirited events before that one.:rolleyes:

The yellow axle stand isn't used under a car. The blue ones are old school British made and are good quality. I apply my own rules for positioning the three legged stands which mitigate any concerns about stability.

Thanks for your concern though.

Mart.

9. Amazing that the wheel did'nt part company with the pickup Mart !

Axle retainers are a must on these rear ends me thinks, something Ive put off doing on my roadster.

Looking forward for the next installment !

Not any more ;)

10. Just re weld it :).

Hope you find a better shaft over there.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  11. Mart

Mart

Thanks for the comments Lads.

The next episode is in the works. There's a lot of editing to do. It would be far too long otherwise.