Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WISCONSIN FENDERLESS HOT RODS & WISDOT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 1, 2019.

1. A Boner

A Boner

I guess you (and everyone else) could/should call your 2 elected officials and ask them when the specialty vehicle owners will be able to voice their opinions at some of the "State Patrol misinterpretation problem" meetings going on in Madison. WE are patiently waiting for the opportunity to do so, and WE are not going to give up until WE get things straightened out! As it stands now, they only know there "was" a problem, but are probably thinking it is ok now. WE have to keep the pedal to the floor.

partsdawg, Dick Stevens and Stogy like this.
  2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

What a boner said.

3. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

i'm wondering if any out of state cars have been stopped?

4. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

a boner, Thanks again for your suggestions and involvement. I'll be asking this to my Reps this week.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Have a meeting scheduled with Wisconsin State Representative Adam Neylon from the 98th District, on November 8th! It will be a small meeting, NOT a show of force type meeting, limited to about 8 people or so. If you were at Curt's meeting at the Orchard Inn, and are interested in attending, let Curt know.
    Representative Neylon talked about the "misinterpretations"with Representative Robert Wittke from Racine, and must feel there is something that needs looking into concerning us hot rod guys and our dilemma.
    Another step forward!

6. slack

slack

That may be truer than you know. We didn't have to wear seatbelts in a pickup for years because one of the lawmakers had a farm pickup and didn't like to wear his seatbelt in it.

7. A Boner

A Boner

Bump.

8. Special thanks to a boner for "keeping the pedal to the floor". He stayed in repeated contact with his Legislator by requesting a specific meeting with the Legislator about the issues with WISDOT. It worked!!

In the past few months, because of the efforts of Wisconsin rodders, I know 27 Wisconsin Legislators have contacted WISDOT about Wisconsin State Patrols new interpretation of 23 year old laws affecting modified cars, hot rods and replica cars. WISDOT's reply to the Legislators, as provided by WSP, has been "there are no problems and there has been no misinterpretation by WSP". This has been the reply the Legislators have passed on to their constituent contact. If the hot rodder constituent gets this reply and does not get back to the Legislator and says the issues are not resolved and requests a face to face meeting with the Legislator, the Legislator believes all is good and things end up going nowhere. The repeated contact with the Legislator shows you are serious about the issue and not just someone that just wants to rant and then goes away.

a boner's meeting with Rep. Neylon will be the second meeting to be held by a Legislator with the hot rod community. On Aug 16 State Rep Wittke met with a group of hot rodders from the Racine, Wi area. He came to the meeting with the scripted WISDOT reply (see above paragraph). He held a hour+ meeting and left with the hot rodders feelings and interpretations about WSP and WISDOT's reinterpretation of the 23 year old laws. He was going to have another meeting with WISDOT, nothing yet from Rep. Wittke.

Thanks to Rep. Neylon and Wittke!

So out of 27 Legislators contacting WISDOT, 2 meetings with the constituents are the result. Either the Legislators haven't recognized the issue's importance yet, WISDOT's reply has been acceptable to Legislator and rodder or the rodder constituents must keep "the pedal to the floor"!

Curt R

9. WSP and WISDMV meetings are typically inter departmental meetings within WISDOT. If, those meetings qualify under the "open meetings law" is a question for the Wisconsin Department of Justice which can be accessed on the internet. Let us know what you find out. Thanks.
    Curt R

10. Hemiman 426 likes this.
  11. go here
    https://publicmeetings.wi.gov/

SEMA is aware of our issues. I have been in regular contact with them since June. They support our efforts and will provide info and help as requested.

Curt R

Max Gearhead likes this.
  12. Speed~On

Speed~On

DM Sent

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  13. Have a meeting scheduled with Wisconsin State Representative Adam Neylon from the 98th District, on November 8th! It will be a small meeting, NOT a show of force type meeting, limited to about 8 people or so.
    a boner

there should be 4-6 rodder constituents from Rep. Neylon's district (Pewaukee,Wi) in the meeting, bring the unfendered rods and replica rods. The Rep needs to see his rodder constituents are concerned enough to come and talk with him.

PM to a boner for time and place.

Curt R

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  14. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Thank you everyone for all the help, info and support!

Max Gearhead likes this.
  15. Good luck, I'll be in Texas Nov. 7-10, I'll be thinking about you !

16. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Thanks go out to everyone who's attending!

irishsteve likes this.
  17. A Boner

A Boner

We had the meeting today with Wisconsin 98th District State Representative Adam Neylon. Very impressed with him and his concern with what we described to him about what is happening to our hobby in Wisconsin. He is a very likable young and upcoming Representative that made us feel that he will follow through with this issue, and get back to us with a way forward.

In the meantime, keep the pedal to the floor and show your support by joining the "Wisconsin Specialty Vehicle Alliance"!

18. A Boner

A Boner

Wishing Wisconsin would get their chit together, like our neighbor Minnesota.

Join the W.S.V.C.

19. So was there ever a Paul Harvey, "rest of the story" in this whole drama ?

20. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

IMG_0582.JPG I never heard anything but have never had a problem with my Roadster either.

21. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

After a very respectable and successful push to get our voices heard, along with the backing of a good number of members of the State Assembly and a few Senators, we were able to get our request for clarifications to the desk of the Attorney General. I received a notice last November that the AG replied with a basic "no reply" due to statutes defining who they can provide opinions for when queried. Also, about the same time period, we got word that revisions were being made to some DOT Administration codes with more revisions being anticipated. The more we learn, the better we can direct our actions to our representatives and the State of Wisconsin. I for one feel it is time to get back into a hard push with the aid of our officials to allow the rules to stand as is, as they have been non problematic for a very long time. New "Interpretations" are not necessary and are damaging to the hobbyist car culture here in Wisconsin.

22. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I agree on the statement concerning timing and I also agree on not needing new interpretations for rules/laws/statutes that are/were working just fine. It seems to me that a renewed push would benefit from a coordinated approach to solicit our representatives for their support. Many of our representatives are not “car guys” nor understand our hobby, cars, and passions. A coordinated approach and consistent message are necessary for the outcome we desire. At least that’s my two cents worth.

Thor1 and UnkkaBobby like this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Anyone in Wisconsin have a project getting ready for the WSP inspection for title and license?

Thor1 and UnkkaBobby like this.
  24. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

I am aware of an assembled Street Rod that is roughly about 4 months away of being completed and will have to "go through the process" for title. I would feel comfortable in sharing the details in a more private manner. Do we have any form of private messaging here on the HAMB site? I think the "Conversations" button is what I'd be needing?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Thor1 likes this.
  25. rusty valley

rusty valley

cursor over the persons name, and start a conversation appears, click on that

UnkkaBobby likes this.
  26. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Thank you very much sir!

27. A Boner

A Boner

28. A Boner

A Boner

Anyone in Wisconsin getting close with a build, and ready to apply for a Wisconsin title? Do the H.A.M.B. Conversation thing with Me or Curt R.

29. I guess I don't worry so much about fenderless laws in my state, because i run fenders, but, the political pukes in Minnesota, want to pass legislation, mandating the same emissions regulations as California. The exact same.