Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap meet versus Internet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scharleyride, Oct 20, 2019.

1. williebill

williebill

Since I'm self employed, I've worked 99.9% of all Saturdays since 1976. I went to Charlotte twice in the 70s, and Nashville once. I'm old enough to have bought NOS cool stuff from around here back in the 70s and 80s, but for the last 20-25 years, it's been only the internet for me.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I loved swap meets back in the days before the internet. They have been going on since the 1950's and there were still new finds of parts. I used to be able to got to a swap meet every month, now I only do Hershey. Internet is a better deal as a seller, the world is your audience, you can list stuff at 3:00 in the morning, wake up a few hours later and find out that item is now off to Australia. I miss the swap meets, but enjoy the internet sales. Bob

3. No such thing as cheap fun any more.
    I used to do gun n knife shows when the only charge was to the vendor. Then they added an admission charge. And then a parking fee. When food was brought in it was over for the vendor, there was no money left to spend.
    Last time I was at a swap meet I could not see anything in the acres of space, just a sea of dirty stuff. I needed a sign for the vendors to read to see what I wanted. I like the hunt, but really, acres ? At least with internet I can browse and stop when I have had enough. Swap meet, I still have to walk home.
    Cash is king at the swap meet, internet not so much. Hold some cash under their nose and make your deal. Let them see the money.

alanp561, quick85 and Truck64 like this.
  4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I love the hunt of a good swap meet. There's only one local to me, and it's turned into a flea market. I don;t need your antique lamp, lady.

I used to hit Pomona regularly in the late 90's, but then moved far away. I've heard Turlock and Portland are great, but I either forget about them until after they happen or have no $$ when they come up. Such is life.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Portland is good. Would like to hit Pomona once or twice.

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

best part of the internet is the price is right there in the ad!I love swap meets,but if the seller is unwilling to put the price on the part,I walk on by.I'm not there to his work!I might want that part for $20 but not for "how much you gimme?"

Flathead Dave, jim snow and wvenfield like this.
  7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

My response to that is often "As little as possible." They usually come back with a number.

jim snow likes this.
  8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have to really need the part to ask or like you, I just keep on walking. Or at least, if you see someone pick a part up, tell them the price.

jim snow likes this.
  9. jim snow

jim snow

I’m with the last three guys. I ain’t never gonna price your stuff. I just put it back down and walk away. Snowman

Flathead Dave likes this.
  10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’ll make an offer if the seller won’t price it, but it’s going to be LOW!

Me “How much you need for that carburetor?”

Seller “Make me an offer”

Me “$20”

Seller “ya right”

Me: “you made me start, now it’s your turn, I can’t negotiate with myself”

Usually this gets us going and we can actually agree on a real price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squablow, mgtstumpy, jim snow and 3 others like this.
  11. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Hate being the buyer and the seller if I get the make me a offer plea. I want it as cheap as I can get it, you know what you'd be willing to take so don't be offended by the offer. Price your stuff. That being said some of the best deals I've gotten have been talking to people and what they don't have at the show that's what makes swaps enjoyable.

jim snow, 2OLD2FAST and alchemy like this.
  12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

People who don't price stuff are greedy , afraid they'll leave something on the table , or they have no clue what stuff is worth ...

13. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

My dad told me that sellers who don’t price their stuff want to look in your eyes and see how much you’ll pay.

I wear sunglasses to the swap meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

They are hoping you don't know what your looking at and offer more than it's worth. Usually combined with I seen one sell on Ebay for $$$$$. They are looking for a sucker.

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is true. I make a low offer to figure out which kind of seller I'm dealing with, being careful not to reveal what it is. A guy who doesn't have a clue may take it, and you score. The greedy guy may get all offended and worked up, but you have a starting point.

From the Portland swap meet a couple years ago:

Me: How much for this old wheel (pointing at a lone 16" bent-spoke wheel in a pile of stuff)
    Him: What will you give me?
    Me: $30
    Him: What??! $30 for a Kelsey Hays bent spoke wheel?!?!? Do you know how rare those are?
    Me: Sure I do. And now we've established that you know too. Which means you have a price in mind. So how much for this old wheel?

We settled at $80.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Squablow, Carter and G-son like this.
  16. lake_harley

lake_harley

I enjoy looking over all the stuff at swap meets and go to a few each year. My problem is I end up buying things that I end up never needing or using. It's rare that I find a part that I'm actively looking for, and I'm not trying to build up any kind of reserve inventory. I'll continue to go to swap meets but sometime I think I'd be better off just finding what I need, when I need it via the internet, although I'll probably pay a bit more. Then again, splitting the cost of going to the Pate Swap Meet with a couple friends earlier this year still cost me over $300, but we did have a good time.

Another "what'll you give me" story.
    A friend was looking at a wheel and asked the seller what it fit and the price. He didn't know what it was from and the seller asked "what'll you give me, I'm not here to get this stuff appraised, I'm here to sell it". My friend's offer of $5 was accepted.:D

Lynn

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I used to have a crusty old-school bartender buddy (RIP) who would come along and sell stuff, and he would always put some kinda widgit out front with a FREE sign, thinking it would get folks to stop and look around- and it usually worked. So one day he brings this old cheapo GM baseline AM radio, one of those 80's deals with the notes on the handles and sets it out. So here comes this guy, goes right to it, then what does it fit? I dunno, it's free, take it. Does it work? I dunno, it's free, take it. 20 min later he's still closely examining that thing, and my buddy keeps telling him I dunno, take it, it's free. Sets it down and walks away mumbling

Squablow and ahshoe like this.
  18. lake_harley

lake_harley

He could have confused the guy even more if he had told him, " It's free. Take it home and if it isn't what you need or if it doesn't work I'll give you your money back!" :confused:

Lynn

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  19. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

when I take a load to a swap meet I always include a few boxes of $1 items-Its entertaining for me to watch,and people at your booth seems to bring more.One of my most fun meets was when I brought a couple of boxes of old Playboy magazines at $1 each,had a sign saying must be 18,going to be 18 or know someone 18!Sold them all,paid for my stall and had a blast talking to people

mgtstumpy likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were 20 somethings, we thought nothing about just picking up our stuff and taking off somewhere for a road trip. We had the bug, ever since we went to Europe together a couple of years after we got married. Maybe that is why, today, we think nothing of a road trip to our favorite places on the West Coast. Sure, it was a planned road trip to the Midwest for a surprise Christmas visit to relatives we had not seen in years. But, the weather beat us to the punch.

But, being 20 somethings, having a cool 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, my wife decided to take a journey to Pennsylvania to the Hershey Museum. She was a chocolate fanatic and I was a runner up in any chocolate contest. But, to top it off, Hershey is also the home of the giant swap meet. It was called the epitome of all swap meets for us west coast hot rod folks. So, valuable parts for our 40 sedan delivery could be had for much less than the So Cal dealers and places. (weekend swap meets,etc.)
    upload_2019-11-2_4-28-4.png
    It would be checking off two things in one long road trip. The trip was going to be one long drive. But, we wanted to see the rest of the USA and this swap meet gave us the excuse to just take off and enjoy the country that we had never seen up close. Despite being almost all the way across the country, we liked driving and it would be a one of a kind road trip. At the time, only two “old” cousins and one grandmother lived in OKC/Norman area, so that would give us some midway stopping point.

Jnaki

It was laid out on our road maps and various phone calls for reservations along the way. But, as things go sideways, my wife’s family was having some difficulties and she could not leave. So, we stayed home and hit the various local swap meets for our stash of needed parts, used and N.O.S. for our sedan delivery.

These days, it is always better to see the item in hand. But, if that is impossible, and the web searches are valid, then it is as easy as shipping to your front porch.
    upload_2019-11-2_4-28-21.png
    Veteran’s Stadium, LBCC Campus, near Douglas Aircraft Long Beach

21. 2935ford

2935ford

Here in my neck of the woods, swap meets pretty much don't exist. Everything south of here (U.S) for me is very difficult to plan, get to and very expensive........so, online it is (but still very expensive)!

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Times have changed the whole idea of buying parts for a build. If there is a choice between a costly new part or a well used less expensive part. Of course, the new part wins. But, where would you get the new/old part for the hot rod build? Those early swap meets have shown people that stuff can still be around, only if you see it while walking down the aisle looking at the wares. So, that is the advantage of swap meets.

The prices have always been a little high, but the owner is trying to make a profit. A deal is always in the making with some bartering or offers. Some of those posts on swap meets show some deals on whole/partial future hot rods or different parts of what anyone might need. That is the fun part of those swap meets, despite the crowds and heat.

But, some dealers/merchants find factory seconds and they look new at a low cost. That should be a telling point, but sometimes it is hard to see if it isn’t new or recycled new.(refurbished by the factory or builder) At least you were able to see it in person and make your choice. It is the aspect of going to those big events just to see all of the old goodies and still be in the game.

If a reputable dealer is on the internet with a good past business history, parts from their warehouses might be a safer and reliable. It had to pass a factory inspection and can be sold as new or discounted. So Cal is full of these dealers that make and manufacture extra parts for old cars. If one is too far away, shipping is added and a new part is waiting on your front door.

https://www.danchuk.com
    https://www.opgi.com

https://www.est1946.com

Jnaki

No one can discount the fun of going to those swap meets for just about anything. Back in the old days, we got there just as most were setting up and we had the first shot at the wares. We had so much fun with a limited budget. Good deals were had for parts (my brother) and fun stuff (our toddler) The whole day's shopping was a fun experience.

Since times have changed, so has that experience of the see, touch, and feel the “stuff” before buying. But, in these times, sometimes the internet is a faster and easier way to get what you need in all aspects of your life, hot rod build, included. How can we not like what Amazon has to offer? Or, from the previously mentioned reputable dealers?

alanp561 likes this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I quit going to the ones that are over 50 miles from home,I can not get many who are willing to help with the gas so I stay local.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Depending where on line you get it there maybe more recourse How many times have you got something at a swapmeet only to get it home a find out it dosen't work. Then there is the guy who paid $35 for a spot to sell $25 worth of stuff.

alanp561 likes this.
  25. Swap meets for me. I like to look at it ,touch it, smell it, taste it, or listen to it if necessary. o_O

G-son and alanp561 like this.
  26. I know that guy, he's at every swapmeet on the west coast practically.

I use both internet and swapmeets, some people can't be bothered to go to swapmeets (or psychically can't) and use the internet to sell or buy exclusively. I do think the world market of eBay has driven the asking prices of local swapmeets up, which might contribute to the declining attendance or buying. But I also believe that the number of people that can rebuild parts or want to are dwindling. More and more people are okay with buying cheap crappy repo parts and the need to go to the swapmeet is gone.

I have a hard time waiting for the few swapmeets I go to around here, nothing can match the excitement of swapmeet day (like xmas for a kid). I get stuff I "could" use and some stuff I "might" be able to resell. But I really don't try to make a living from the resell part (I usually make a few bucks or break even) as the resell for a living is a FULL time job.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  27. That would be me in the future. By then it would be okay for me as I would need to get rid of most of my junk.

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

When my grandson was 6 (he's now 13) he was with drdave and me at Petit Jean. I told James that whatever he sold, he could keep the money. He asked me how much the parts were, and I told him whatever you say. So he was standing in the aisle, saying to people, "You got $3? If you got $3, you can have this." He sold a number of items. One guy came up to me with a part he wanted and said, "Is this really only $3?" I said if James said it is, yes it is. He pulled out $3 to pay me and I said pay the kid, he sold the part to ya. One guy, when James asked if he had $3, said, "No, I don't," to which James replied, "Then you don't get anything." He had a blast.

G-son and The37Kid like this.
  29. As a young guy in Wisconsin I loved swap meets.Lots of good stuff because guys had room to keep old parts.Guys would deal a bit instead of bringing it all back home...AGAIN.Now Im an old guy in Calif..{for the time being},and I still go to swap meets,but I see few deals just guys who are going to haul it all home AGAIN.Same guys,same stuff every year.I was looking for a 55 Chevy bellhousing,and they all go 150 bucks,and up.Finally bought one off ebay for 60 bucks.Even with shipping I saved 50 plus bucks.In Calif room is at a premium so storing lots of parts is problematic.I just don't see the variety of stuff I see in the Midwest.I find more cool stuff on ebay,and it all comes out of Ill,Mn,Mi etc.I like ebay you just have to wait for a good price,and know your part as returns suck.I like Craigs list too.

30. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

So many good points brought up here. I was a vendor for about 20 years I went out every other weekend so I could eat I longed for the days when the only people on the field actually owned an old car and knew how to twirl a wrench. I did a show in Iola Wisconsin it was a long ride and a lot of expenses. My neighbor pulls up the pickup truck he had a hand truck, folding card table and a rubber tire ashtray. He said to me watch my stuff. I just laughed. Okay. He takes off with this hand truck and comes back with five or six boxes of front end parts. A short time later an old man took the hand truck and the boxes and down the aisle he went. My neighbor said to me watch my stuff. This went on for four days he made a lot of money and I went looking for the soup kitchen.

I always said greed kills everything, and everything always changes not always for the best