Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does this smell like a scam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donsz, Oct 23, 2019.

1. rjones35

rjones35

Yep, I got the same one a few days ago.

"I've seen a lot of it but it's perfect.that's all I want.if it is still-available,text me at [email protected]"

They're probably using my email address for something that I'll hear about later down the road sometime now.

2. I couldn’t make it through all 10 pages.. but if you’ve ever sold something on Craigslist you know they only offer about 40% of asking price. Not $50 extra.

“Stock up now — before the hoarders get it all!”

3. Probably not a scam. What could possibly go wrong?

4. Budget36

Budget36

Get the check, deposit it. Wait a few weeks and find out. Simple enough.

5. verde742

verde742

Ask for a personal check,,, its a scam, most often they are incarcerated.

ask if they are local ?
    usually they will avoid question..
    they want the money, you COULD end up with neither..

6. 62rebel

62rebel

Ironically, I have had two in the last few days respond to a parts WANTED ad, asking if I still had the parts for sale... it's like they don't understand English or just don't read the ads.

7. Tell em to meet you at a certain address with cash, right next to a Police Station

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Key word goat, when I read this, I just cracked up and remembered back to a time period of when there was no internet and phone wise it was analog land line. It didn't happen often, but when it did, I could not resist this tactic of dealing with telemarketers for carpet cleaning services. I would let them do the full sales pitch, and then I would say " this is fantastic, it sounds like your company has a lot of good experience, do you have anything that will get goat blood out of white shag deep pile carpet, these weekly satanic offerings make a hell of a big mess " The sound of an immediate click from the phone being promptly hung up on the other end always made me smile! I am sure I was put on a " never call this number list "

Sandgroper likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love them from the IRS.. I immediately ask them where is the check I've been waiting on. If was to be here a month a go. Do I need to get a mediator again or just bring my lawyer...Click

10. Ive been selling a lot of stuff to my buddies over on 67-72chevytrucks and since I don't do paypal I ask for postal money orders. I went to deposit a handful of them at my credit union and the nice lady there had to call all of them in. Apparently fake PMO are a big thing now. I didn't realize you could take them to the post office to cash them … makes sense though.

I have a bunch more parts to sell still, all too large for me to ship. My thought was to list on Craigslist, with no shipping, cash only, and will meet at the local PD parking lot for delivery … You guys thing this will be helpful to reduce scam attempts? Im not looking forward to this haha.

11. phat rat

phat rat

Might be a scam from the use of english but maybe not. WE do have a very diverse population here in the states, plus with the internet our ads go all over the world. I've personally sold to Europe, England, Australia and even to a guy from here who lives on Guam. I sold something years ago to a guy who was working an oil rig in the Gulf Of Mexico and wanted it shipped to Texas. I wondered at first if it was a scammer but he wired the money and everything went smoothly. Couple of years ago I also had a fella give me a $1oo extra because he couldn't make it right away to pick up the body he had seen at a swap meet I had it at. Right now the same guy has another body sitting here that he paid for back in Aug. From our past dealing he and I trust each other and he knows it'll be here when he has time to pick it up. So although many times those are scammer techniques they do happen for real. As far as no deal if the buyer isn't local, I've run into that and been refused a sale even though I wasn't going to be there for well over a month as they were items to be picked up on one of my western parts runs and I was willing to pay by whatever method they preferred

12. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I get those all the time. I always answer the same way. CASH ONLY, LOCAL PICK-UP ONLY. It works every time. You won't hear from them again.

13. phat rat

phat rat

It's good to be wary, but some of you guys sound like nervous old ladies. I was buying and selling long before the internet and haven't been taken yet seller wise. Had a couple of buys that I felt I was lied to but they weren't high dollar so the lose was reasonably easy to get over. On the selling end of things I accept 3 forms of payment only, cash, postal money order and Paypal. Any other form of payment received is sent back and I certainly don't take personal checks

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  14. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Tell me about it. I am actually an overseas offshore oil and gas worker. Try buying parts with that profession :( I might as well be a Nigerian Prince.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019