Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

It’s funny because I didn’t do it intentionally. I bought the flatty and trans YEARS ago and the I picked up this coupe....it just seemed logical to clear up space on the floor. I’ll get to that stage probably in the spring. Thanks for following along!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and mctim64 like this.
  2. WTF really

WTF really

3. Piewagn

Piewagn

Of course just when I get ready to lay my engine and trans in place they decide to do a “restructure” at work and want to get rid of LOADS of gears sprockets and a whole bunch of other industrial stuff we haven’t used in ages and blew my spot up temporarily! BUT, I am still working on some things at home....
    Today is steering box rebuilding and some other odds and ends. I’m hoping to clear my spot out at work by the end of next week and get the eng/trans assembly in place. Hope you guys are havin’ fun thrashin’ away on your projects! IMG_1378.JPG

4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well, the tab from the star lock washer was missing so I just gave it a little zingo with the welder. Now I’ll just square it off with a file.... IMG_1380.JPG

Tim, brEad, WTF really and 1 other person like this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

I’ll be filling the box with the Lubriplate 105. Been using this stuff for ages in manual steering boxes. I use it exclusively in my Mercury Direct Reversing direct drive outboard lower unit gear cases...... IMG_1381.JPG

waxhead and SquintBoy like this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Talk about motivating!! Big step! Now I can take my measurements and start on the mounts! YES!! IMG_1385.JPG

7. Piewagn

Piewagn

I actually didn’t think I was gonna have this much space between the engine and firewall! Maybe a change of plans on the X member, l may be able to incorporate the existing crossmember somehow....we shall see! IMG_1386.JPG IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1388.JPG IMG_1389.JPG

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Do you think this stuff will be good in your U joint?

loudbang likes this.
  9. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well, it’s a high pressure, water proof grease that also works at higher rpms in outboard gear cases. If you’re sealed up good! I don’t see why not.....
    It works great with straight cut gears....

loudbang likes this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Put a set of wheels on the back to get close to ride height. I think I’m just about where I want to be! I still can’t believe I have that much space between the engine and firewall.....
    I think it’s time to start to get serious with the trans mount and the X maybe K type member. We’ll see how it goes once I start cutting and placing. I need to take some time and just stare at it, then clarity will set in and I’ll have a concrete plan. Thanks for following along fellas!! IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1392.JPG

11. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Like what you're doing, looks like the body is sitting back about 2 inches though? Could explain the spare room at the firewall

greaser and loudbang like this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks!! It’s lined up with the mount brackets and bolt holes, right where it’s supposed to be....hey, I ain’t complainin’

Dedsoto and loudbang like this.
  13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Finally painted my radiator since I had the 2 I bought repaired. We’ll see how the polished copper looks when it under the grille and the car is finished. I think it’ll look fantastic! The other one is available if anyone is interested. IMG_1398.JPG

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  14. touring20

touring20

Great job !

loudbang likes this.
  15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir! headed out to the garage now to get some other small things done.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

It seems you are correct Sir! Now I need to move the brackets forward.......this explains a lot!

upload_2019-10-26_21-57-34.png

17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Been majorly sick! Blam! Hit like a ton of bricks! Finally feeling better...
    I started making mounts for the trans....I’ve changed my plans, you’ll see how it comes out when I get it tacked in place.... IMG_1442.JPG

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ok, I’ve settled on this set up! Obviously it’s not secured yet, or diagonal braces in their final location. I still have to tweek it and finish up the other side, but I’m happy with this. After I secure the trans, I can locate the steering box and make the front mounts..... IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1464.JPG

19. koolbeans

koolbeans

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  20. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you! I was hoping to be further along than I am, but a bug really kicked my ass! Plus we've been restructuring our facility. I'll be able to cruise when we're finished and I'll have much more room!

koolbeans and loudbang like this.
  21. koolbeans

koolbeans

I know the bug stuff. Me too. Rhino virus=cold. Well maybe, but took 2 months to fully recover. The stuff is bad!!!?!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Finished fabricating the trans mounts, got them in there loosely. I need to measure and set up final location and trim the ends of the diagonal braces, figure their final angle and location so I can hang my pedal assembly from them.... Some progress, slow but sure! Thanks fellas!! IMG_1472.JPG IMG_1474.JPG IMG_1473.JPG

23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

on the to do list,stock column with a 50s gm shifter grafted on ,auto shift.38 chevy truck

loudbang likes this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

I have located an F100 column shift/box set up. The grafting of a less dull shifter may be in order, thanks for the suggestion!

loudbang and Rich B. like this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Got the main brackets welded in place! Now I can set my steering box location. I have a whole lotta figurin’ to do. I have some ideas for the mounting that I need to explore along with pedal assembly location. The column shift is going to be a challenge with the clearance available to the cylinder head. It’ll come together, just need to try some different options and see what works..... IMG_1489.JPG

brEad, dehartcarl, Hotrodmyk and 4 others like this.
  27. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well, steering box quasi location. I will probably be able to get the column shift to work from this location, I’ll have to angle it in some for steering wheel to door clearance. It’s coming together slowly, but I’ll get there! If any of you guy have suggestions, please don’t hesitate!! Thanks fellas!!!
    IMG_1509.JPG IMG_1510.JPG IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1512.JPG

28. Piewagn

Piewagn

I really would like to thank all those that drop a "like" on my posts, it is no small thing! It lets me know that folks are watching and keeping up with the build, although slow progress, it does motivate me keep pluggin' away! It has been exceptional mental therapy for me and just to know you guys are watching is GREATLY appreciated! So....here's a BIG thanks fellas!!

29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well....the column shifter will work out fine! I have all the clearance I need and with the box in this location it give me the perfect angle depth and clearance of column and wheel! I’m psyched!
    I made a temp bracket so I could remove the C clamps and make a template.....thanks for following fellas!! IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1533.JPG IMG_1535.JPG IMG_1536.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  30. Mart

Mart

Why so low with the steering box mount? It's not like a mustang where that arm sticks up...
    Mounting close to the original location would be best, surely?
    There must be loads of cars with similar setups, what did they do?

Mart.

Steve Ray likes this.