Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this tool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Country Joe, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I used to own a portable EDM. Guess what I was called out to use it for the most.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Fact !

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh yeah, Tri-power!!! I make a 'centering jig', usually a simple drill press steel (or aluminum) block, that will just fit the 1/8" bit I'm starting with. Centering the punch is the worst part...the rest is a breeze! Then, on with the left hand drill bits. (and lots of P.B. Blaster, OR, WD40/Diesel. 50/50. Farmer's mixture. Works like a champ. Cheap.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Those are called Fuckyouovers. If you buy the ones from The Harbor and break one, they are easy to drill out as the are made out of wood.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

J_J2, 54vicky, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Yes Atwater Mike I totally agree. The garage I work at has bought a centering jig tool made by snap on tools - it is a template of different exhaust manifolds. It centers the drill bit perfectly in the center of the broken bolts and maintains the exact angle and depth needed. When the drilled hole is perfectly accurate extraction is much easier.
    What I hate is when they get broken off in a area you can’t possibly get at - at all. What I do then is stare as hard as I can at the broken bolt and with all my mental ability - try to generate a laser beam shooting from my eyes that will melt the broken bolt. It hasn’t worked yet!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A broken easy out is right up there with being in a desert with no water or hitting your thumb with a hammer. Best case is to proceed with hitting your thumb with a hammer. Avoid the other two scenarios.:D

54vicky and Atwater Mike like this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

I much prefer the easy-outs with the tapered ends with straight grips over the ones pictures. The one pictured tends to spread out the broken bolt where the ones with the taper ends and straight grips don't spread the broken bolt out as much. I still have a set of 3 different sized easy-outs like the ones pictured that have removed a lot of broken off bolts. At one time, I worked in factory maintenance, the opportunity presented itself to remove a lot of broken bolts using easy-outs. After you break a few off, you learn the proper way to use them. Gene

Mark Yac and Atwater Mike like this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Looks like my brother. He's a tool.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Easy-out: The world's most ironically named tool.

"I have broken eight 7/64 taps in the last 2 1/2 weeks."

Are you sure about the 7/64 tap?

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

6-32, no wonder they broke.

11. dwollam

dwollam

Anything with the word "Easy" in it is bound to not be!

Dave

BJR likes this.
  12. BJR

BJR

The exception to this was a girl I new in school. :D

VANDENPLAS, 2OLD2FAST and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

BJR that was called an easy-in !

Atwater Mike and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. I broke a bolt holding the alternator on a 327 in a 40 Ford coupe, it was easier to pull the engine to get to the problem than removing the grille shell & radiator and assorted pieces of sheet metal, it was a huge pita but I did succeed in removing the offending bolt.

Anyone that ever built a 40 Ford knows if the sheet metal fits good don't mess with it. :D HRP

Atwater Mike and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. A little off topic but the 1/2 inch version is great for removing broken 1/2 inch water pipes. This is true for both the galvanized pipes and plastic pipes (sprinkler repair). They do make a cheaper version for the plastic pipes. As far as automotive use for the smaller size if the fastener failed in tension they are great but if they failed due to over torquing or rust they are probably not a good choice.

Charlie Stephens

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve got a set of inside pipe wrenchs for that job.

Bones

17. How do you know?

18. Someone once told me. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I actually have had good luck more times than not using them or left hand drill bits to remove bolts or fittings that have broken off. But, it only takes one time breaking one to never do that again too. At least that is what I have been told...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Yep, “easy out”.

Used many, many times working at my dads production machine shop. Essentially had at least one a day! Almost always an exhaust stud/bolt, always made worse by exposure to elements and a billion heat-cycles to make the bolt harder than the hubs of hell.

We fixed ‘em with fire.

1) Drill the hole as near dead center as humanly possible.
    2) Grab the acetylene torch with the smallest tip ya got.
    3) Apply heat around the rim of the center of the hole ya just drilled, getting the !@#! bolt cherry red. Don’t hang around too long with the heat because the idea is to heat just the offending, broken bolt, not the surrounding material.
    4) Immediately douse the bolt with lots of WD40 the moment it stops glowing. This rapid temp change shrinks the offending stud. There will be smoke. And sometimes fire burning off the WD40 ;)
    5) Gently tap the easy out into the offending bolts new hole, getting it as straight as possible, and very snug.
    6) Put your biggest tap handle possible on the easy out. Turn counterclockwise slowly while lightly tapping the back of the easy out with a small hammer, simultaneously turning. Takes 2 dudes. (Alternate version: use a crescent wrench instead of the tap handle so one guy can do it all, tapping while turning. NOT FOR A NOVICE, as you’ll likely break the easy out with an untrained hand)

Enjoy!

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

Of course. We just have to remember that at one point in our lives we didn't know anything that we know now. If we are curious, we are constantly learning new things that are in someone else's pile of "I've known that all my life."

Boneyard51 and BJR like this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

If the bolt broke and had been bottomed out in a blind hole just about any method you use takes more effort and a bit of luck. Bolts in an exhaust manifold, or stainless fasteners anywhere need anti-seize on them, in fact consider any fasteners that may get rusty and use anti-seize there too. Planning ahead can many times head off the need for that easy out. If you use an easy out and think you need a bigger wrench then for sure try some heat and WD40, or another penetrant as mentioned above, the bigger wrench and too much force is when the easy out is gonna snap.

Boneyard51 and BJR like this.
  23. Can you post a picture of your inside pipe wrench.? I know it is off topic but I am having trouble picturing what it looks like.

Charlie Stephens

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. BJR

BJR

th_id=OP.XooSNNin0Xm78Q474C474&o=5&pid=21.jpg
    Inside pipe wrench, a knurled shaft with a knurled cam that locks inside the pipe.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You gotta be quick on this forum! Lol

Bones

BJR likes this.
  26. Thanks for the answer. It is amazing what is out there.

Charlie Stephens

BJR likes this.