Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sgt. John, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

Question is I have a 56 non air Century 4Dr hardtop. My wife said why not put A.C. in the car... Question is HOW GOOD ARE THE UNDERDASH UNITS and is it a strain on the motor I have the alternator conversion and I'm getting 14.1 volts with the Halogen headlights on... And she wants to get it installed for a birthday present so we can cruise in comfort She says I'm getting old I will be 53

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Whatever you do stay away from Old Air Products in Fort Worth or you'll be sorrry!

325w likes this.
  3. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

Okay thanks. HOOAH !!!!

4. 002.JPG Sgt John, 53, your just a PUP.. Wait till you hit 62 like me and you have to take ivpropane with your morning coffee to get moving..LOL. Bruce.WOW that's a old post from me now I am 66 and I take 2 ivpropane in the morning!!!!!LOL Bruce.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and slack like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cruising in comfort usually means more cruising and longer road trips. Those Mark IV style under dash units will usually freeze you out when you sit straight in front of one.

need louvers ? likes this.
  6. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

Okay thanks ..I have 2 More years left in the Army National Guard and that will be 22 years and she wants me to retire

7. You guys aint old!! My oldest daughter is 60. And I am still building, thank God.

Ben

8. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

I here you my friend I told her I'M ARMY. ONLY AIR FORCE USE AIR CONDITION !!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That's how you know the Air Force is coming, the air conditioners arrived in the first plane. I seen it happen many times.

10. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

1shot and Sgt. John, that explains why the army and marines never liked us Air Force guys, lol! Thank you for your service!

11. dan griffin

dan griffin

Make sure you run a engine driven fan with a shroud and buy a wide tall condenser. Box the condenser in so most of the air has to flow through the condenser. This will give you cold air at idle.

12. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

Okay I was going to let an radiator place look at it also I have the ORIGINAL RADIATOR WITH THE SHROUD or will thenjoy radiator have to be changed.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may want to try it first if you have a rad in good condition. US radiator in Ca. can make you an Excellant one for AC. I believe they make 4 different grades for our older cars. Make sure it's copper/ brass. Good luck.

14. Sgt. John

Sgt. John
    from Virginia

OK thanks alot

15. Ben, GOOD for you I am glad to hear that! Bruce.

16. dan griffin

dan griffin

That is why I joined the AIR FORCE.

belair likes this.
  17. BumpTrunk

BumpTrunk

My wife asked me the same, if I wouldn't love her, I would never do that, by me, it was okay to drive without A/C. I found a garage that could make this customization to my old '59 Chevy. The guys from https://www.socool.sg/ made quite a good work, now I admit that it is way better to drive the car than before.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Go with a Vintage Air system. They are easy to install and great products! I put one in my '40 and never had a problem.

olscrounger likes this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Vintage air is my go to for the people that want or need a/c and come to my shop for install.
    Adding an electric fan helps at idle or in slow traffic to keep the cockpit cool. At least down in the Florida summers it did. 2015-04-22 20.11.41.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Use vintage air, that’s what I have in my convertible. They have great products and tech line, I would never use any other brand

olscrounger and j3harleys like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I have seen a lot of different A/C units in old hot rods. Before Vintage Air came to be popular, there were home set ups that worked well. (utilizing GM parts and hose kits for our 327 motor and others.) There were a lot of installers that did all kinds of A/C units. When the rotary compressor motors came out, the installs were much easier to set up and made the motor compartments much cleaner.

In your photo/install, would it be possible to move or rotate the compressor motor to a lower area out of sight? Or at least , if not, rotate the compressor so those lines come from underneath to connect. In some of our old A/C compressors, it was possible to move or rotate the actual compressor as much as it could for clearance, as long as the belts aligned correctly. The hoses did not hinder the sight of the motor or valve covers. So, it looked like a much cleaner installation.

Sorry, if this was a preliminary set up photo and the final install moved the hoses lower or somewhere else. If so, could we see the final installation photos? Thanks...

Jnaki

22. belair

belair

I wish I had had air in this one. The hang-down will be all you want, and probably a simpler install in the car. Vintage Air is the best. If you go with the more expensive,(and better looking imo) complete AC/heat/up under the dash unit, they are more work, and will eliminate your current heater set up. Hang down is traditional and period-correct, although there were Buicks out there in 56 that had factory air.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      229.1 KB
      Views:
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Vintage Air is the only way to go. They've been manufacturing A/C components for about 40 years. Tech support is great.

What ever you do don't buy Southern Air they are garbage.

olscrounger likes this.
  24. Sgt John , you aren't old wait till you hit 66 like me.You will start waking up saying HEY that didn't hurt yesterday.LOL.Bruce.

25. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

26. Thanks for your service and congrats, you should be retired by now !

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finished product. The customer didn't want to pay enough for me to hide everything. One bracket for A/C compressor and Alt. Clean enough for the customer. 2015-09-17 12.54.59.jpg 2015-09-09 11.15.21.jpg