Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does this smell like a scam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by donsz, Oct 23, 2019.

1. donsz

donsz

Yesterday I advertised my Tri-power carbs on the local Craigslist. The next day I received an email with the following message, no subject line:
    I've seen a lot of thing but it's perfect.that's all I want.if it is still-available,text-me a xxxxxxxx (I'm not going to show email address)

Just for the heck of it I responded to the email address saying it was still available. I got this response:
    Thanks for returning my message. I'm currently not in town for now, so i wont be able to meet with you due to my work frame and also we are very busy at this time preparing for our daughter's wedding but 'm okay with the price and condition as shown on the advert. I'll proceed in issuing a cashier check to you and when you receive the payment and it clears your bank, i will make arrangement for the pick up. I will also add an additional $50 to hold it down for me. So get back to me with below details to mail the check out to you asap.......

Name to be on the payment ...........
    Address to mail the check to ........
    City, state and Zip code ............NOT P.O BOX
    Final Asking price...................
    Phone number to text you on ....

I'm thinking to avoid this like the plague. Just wondering what others might think.
    don

2. Yep...run. I just listed a half dozen or so car parts today and every reply so far has been a scam too. :mad:

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Scammer. I get the exact same message.

4. chopndrop

chopndrop

Delete it and move on with your life

5. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

I always ask for their phone number in the reply when they respond to my ads. If they do not send their contact number they are not serious or it is a scam.

49ratfink and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I had someone tell me they were trying to see if I was real and wanted some code that he had texted to me today... That was a new one on me and I told him if I wasn’t real I wouldn’t be texting back. Almost frustrating enough to get back on FB to use marketplace. But, I think I will just have my kid sell my stuff there instead. :D

dentisaurus likes this.
  7. Slopok

Slopok

Tell him to keep the check and extra $50 and you will hold it for him til after his daughters wedding get back to you then you can make the arrangements!:rolleyes:

49ratfink likes this.
  8. BJR

BJR

If you think it's a scam, it probably is. :D

9. koolbeans

koolbeans

The epitome of a scam every inch of the way. Run like an alligator has you by the short hair....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

49ratfink likes this.
  10. 62rebel

62rebel

Can't begin to count the number of these I get. If I feel froggy and have the time, I'll screw with them by sending responses with increasingly inane comments

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

100% positive scam

49ratfink likes this.
  12. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Run Forest, Run

mgtstumpy likes this.
  13. I can't tell you how much fun there is to be had with these guys. Why quit on him now ? Love it.

Ask him what his daughter looks like. Tell him, you'll reduce the price by 11 dollars for a nude picture. After he sends a girl shot, act offended, and tell him you wanted a nude of him. Lol.

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You haven't heard the scam yet. Keep talking to him and you most certainly will.

lothiandon1940, 6inarow and Driver50x like this.
  15. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I'd tell him to send cash instead of a check.

16. brady1929

brady1929

Post it on the HAMB.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with Billy.....on the face of it, so far, I don’t see the scam. You have parts for sale, the guy wants to buy your parts, says he’ll send the money, you keep the part until after the check clears.

Now, it is possible that the ‘cashiers check’ will be bogus and the buyer thinks it will take much longer for that to become known and he’ll have the parts by then. That could be ‘checkmated’ by insisting on cash, a USPS Money Order instead of any type of check, or wire transfer of funds. Your Bank could facilitate that without revealing your personal bank account data.

Maybe he just wants your personal information, but for what purpose?

Be interesting to see where this would lead........perhaps the ‘scam’ will become more obvious.

Ray

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

If you don't see a scam , please do yourself a favor and never sell anything on the net.

19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The check will be from the Royal National Bank of Nigeria.
    He is a Prince in that country.
    KK

20. Tell him you nailed his daughter.....

21. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

Hahaha. Tell him it must suck to have to pull scams from whatever hell hole country he’s from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You gotta do better than that......explain what YOU see that tips you off to this being a scam.

And , I HAVE bought and sold parts and vehicles on the ‘net’. I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck....:D

Ray

23. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Scam...….

24. Probably will go something like this:
    After you cash the check, he will tell you that the wedding cost more than expected and he can't go through with deal. He needs money asap to pay the caterer, so you can keep the $50 and and go to 7-11, Walgren's etc and buy Moneypaks and text him the codes off them. Shortly after you do, you will find out his check bounced.

XXL__ likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

As above stated U.S. postal money order or bank transfer. Do not accept PayPal as they can charge back if using via credit card. They have the part and no cash output.

26. dave plmley

dave plmley

for a few years I had a check for $47K from one of those guys, was a cashiers check I just had for fun

27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

28. scotts52

scotts52

I often am aways away from the stuff I want to buy. I have bought parts unseen before other than the ones posted in the ad. I have been in situations much like the guy everyone is claiming to be a scam. I often hear well I want you to look at it before you buy it and then I can hold it for you. Hello! If I was able to see it in person I wouldn't be leaving it to get later. At any rate, I always try to work with the seller to accommodate them however it takes to make them feel safe with the deal. Often I leave it with when you're comfortable that the payment is good, then we'll schedule a time for me to get it. I assume all the risk. I've been had only once or twice. All the other times things went well. Its not always about the money. Sometimes I just don't have time to drop everything and run and get it.

Hnstray likes this.
  29. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

It’s so obvious it is a scam. You can always tell when they sound like a mongoloid in their email. I will say this particular one is better than some I have seen, but it’s still a scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google "Overpayment scams" if you want to know how it works. Lot's of warnings out there.

bobss396 likes this.