Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this tool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Country Joe, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Country Joe

Country Joe

Found this cleaning out a basement. Seems like a reamer of some sort but it's not sharp , in fact it feels pretty smooth. 20191023_155027.jpg 20191023_155105.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

It's an "easy out", used to extract a broken bolt.

3. error404

error404
    from CA

a tool that is supposed to help remove broken bolts when the head snaps off flush with the part. They rarely work, haha

4. Ex Tract Tor ... a latin device for unscrewing screwed.

5. Country Joe

Country Joe

Thanks for the answers. I guess I better get busy snapping bolts so I can use my new found tools. :D

6. A tool that is even harder or impossible to drill out than the bolt you were trying to extract if it breaks...ask me how I know...

7. squirrel

squirrel

It's a tool that once you've used it, you learn to do whatever you have to, to avoid having to use it ever again.

8. BJR

BJR

This is NOT a rip on the OP for asking a question about something he didn't know. Just that I am always amazed at things that I take for granted that I think everyone else knows about. Then someone asks a question about a tool or car or anything else, that I have known for most of my life and they have just now come across it and wonder what it is. I am not saying I am smarter than most people either, that is not my point, and is far from reality. Does this happen to anyone else?

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I broke one in the exhaust manifold hole on a big block Chrysler cylinder head. I ended up having to drill around the “EZ-out” so it would come out. From that experience on I’ve never used one again.

nochop, weps and guthriesmith like this.
  10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You must never have worked directly for the public ,in my 55 years repairing cars then remodeling/ repairing homes , I never ceases to wonder how the general public functioned with so little common sense , what my grandparents called " life skills"...

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

These tools are the most misunderstood tool on the planet! If you twist off a bolt that is rusted in, this tool was never intended to get it out! If for some reason it sheared off or was broken due to other bolts missing and it broke off due to leverage, yes it will get it out.
    But a old rusted bolt that twists off..... go right for the drill and tap or the left handed drill bit, it works wonders!

Bones

dan c, Hnstray, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  12. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

It’s a tool that teaches you to weld a nut onto your broken bolt rather then break one of these turds off in the bolt u broke , then cry, then drink , then cry more

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jvo, loudbang, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Fool ya Tool; high cost tool,cost $ to buy it,cost even lots XXX more $ to repair after you try and use it ,an fail.
    Many times guys came in to my shop,asking if I could remove a broken off bolt or stud. Ask#1=did you try your self before asking me???=He said Yes; I'll look an often;I say $50 for me to try,up front{ That was in the 1970s/today $150 if they did try first}.

loudbang, chryslerfan55, weps and 3 others like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Most people call a tool like that an Easy Out but the proper name is Throw it Out!

54vicky, Hnstray, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. That was "Easy".

But using them ain't always easy, the bolts holding the alternator was mounted low on the drivers side on my '32 roadster, it necessitated removing the grille shell and radiator, then drilling into the broken bolt, the next step was the easy out's, they can be a life saver.

395836-Mvc-855s.jpg

396102-Mvc-858s.jpg

You can plainly see the remains of the broken bolt still attached to the easy out's, it's a PITA but a big relief when you have great results. HRP

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Pictured above is the intended result of using an "Easy Out". Your results may vary!

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

They work good for a well oiled bolt snapped off from over tightening.
    Not so much for a rusted bolt snapped off during extraction.

18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine usually do...

catdad49, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Now that’s the intended use of an easy out! Works good in that situation!

Bones

20. I have found you need to drill away almost all the bolt before using the easy out. If you are patient it will remove the last outer part of the bolt. The threads and not much more.

Phil

21. Boden

Boden

It’s called “ sucks when you’re stupid” as my great grandpa would say

22. Boden

Boden

Perfect for removing broken senders and stuff that shouldn’t be too tight

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

More commonly referred to as a, "Not-so-easy-out". And when THEY break off in the bolt, and they do, things really get complicated. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

54vicky, chryslerfan55 and Mr48chev like this.
  24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If they are not rust welded or bottomed out I have had good luck . Most of the time it’s potty words ,a prayer or two , dill and retap the hole . I have snapped the extractor off tryin to remove a 2 1/2 “ broken pipe nipple before . That is a son of a gun x 10 when that happens .

X-cpe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. One of the two broken bolts did contain a broken easy out, I had to buy a diamond bit to extract the broken easy out and start over with a bigger hole and a larger easy out.
    HRP

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have broken eight 6-32 taps in the last 2 1/2 weeks. Had to tap 24 holes. I only broke 5 drill bits. But I lost 3 before I got them to my shop. I tried to buy good quality tools.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Lol
    In the trade called an Easi out.
    Should be called a Haha your fucked !

as an apprentice I was trying to use one to remove a broken bolt , and snapped the Easi out off flush.
    Went to my boss with the Brocken bit of Easi out and asked him what do we do know
    He said “ Daniel now we start drinking heavily “ lol.

they work well is you drill most of the bolt away and apply some heat
    Then bang the Easi out in good and tight
    Or ample amount of penetrating fluid.

Once you get the hang of them they work quite well.
    They still suck and are not perfect
    As has been stated
    Left hand drill bits
    A good sharp chisel works well to loosen a bolt
    Heat
    Crying
    Church
    Alcohol
    Running away and becoming a shoe sales man are all good alternatives to Easi outs!

E2C02D95-A7D4-4139-B996-C91A36C838FD.jpeg

28. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

One of the biggest tips you guys probably already know is to punch and/or drill the first hole in the the broken bolt as dead-on in the middle of the broken bolt as you can!

29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Water pump bolts in a Buick. Working in the parking lot of my college apartment, drilling out not only the broken bolts, but the EZ out as well.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app