Register now to get rid of these ads!

History School me, spelling intended.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Oct 23, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Been sort of a a-hole maverick this week on the drawer pull thread so in order to stay pretty close to the same mind set, but trying to avoid being against another loved thing in the R & C side of world concerns, I ask that I be brought up to date and shool'd on why the infatuation with patina.? Personally I see absolutely nothing to approve of in either leaving a perfectly running, safe, car with a potentially great appearing finish, looking like some one has run short of funds or talent with the car. I Just don't get it,:confused: so reason me out.

bob b., Dean Lowe, LWEL9226 and 11 others like this.
  2. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm with you. I've actually seen rust wraps on late model, high-buck, eurotrash rides here in Boca Raton. it's got me scratchin' my head.

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Flat black Mercedes, no

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and LAROKE like this.
  4. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I don’t like it either, it’s just a fad. Maybe it will pass soon???

Bones

6. upspirate

upspirate

I saw a real, old, barn find hot rod roadster from the '50's up in Ocala at a cruise night that was towed there.
    Someone had either just found it, or just finally decided to bring it out.
    That was cool, and I probably would have just got it running and reliable, but the paint was presentable, and didn't have rust and holes etc.
    But most of these "patina" cars look like crap in my opinion esp the ones made to look that way

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Opinion ... compares to the fad of painting everything on a vehicle the same color, or those silly giant splashes of liquid (?) on the sides. One person did it, and everybody else had to do it, too. Problem is, it won't go away ...

8. If you like it fine, if you don't like it fine, this is after all the hamb and we usually agree to disagree, now I'm confused. :rolleyes: :D HRP

9. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I like it. But not the ones with clear gloss over it. Possible reasons; a big F-off to the establishment, cost, or because you don't have to worry about leaning on it, scratches, etc.

VANDENPLAS and Chuck Lauer like this.
  10. belair

belair

I don't like it either, and I think most of the "kids" who built them back in the day couldn't wait to be able to afford the nice, new paint job that after 50 years became today's over-rated patina.

rc57, pitman, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Wabi Sabi, loosely defined: the acceptance of transience and imperfection or impermanence or incompletion, showing honest evidence of suffering, use or abuse.
    Can invoke deeper feelings than just one more shiny doodad.
    the key word is honesty, it can't be faked.
    a plastic wrap meant to look like honest wear and tear comes across as cheap and false

12. Im just glad I don't care how someone else builds their ride
    you like painted.....cool
    you like patina .....cool
    just make it safe to drive
    Im not painting mine (at this point anyway) because I don't get paid to paint mine
    Of course I dont get paid to do the other stuff either. Today, with the 50+ year old junk we build, the bodywork, fitment and paint is the biggest expense. (if perfection is desired)
    At this point with my personal rides Im happy with a mechanical restored/modified car wearing its as found finish.
    We are not building 10-20 year old cars in good shape anymore, most of us are building the past generations parts cars.
    I don't see patina as a fad (maybe the fake stuff) but as an appreciation for an honest, well lived life of a vehicle.

how many time are folks gonna beat this dead horse anyway?

OLSKOOL57, Jibs, Driver50x and 13 others like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I've "done" several cars so they look good, and I've put miles on several others that are just as I found them, and they're all just fine and dandy. and the ones that didn't get anything done to the body, cost a lot less time/effort on my part. I like that it's OK to not bother making cars pretty these days. But I also am confused by the guys who actually put some effort into making a car look neglected. That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

lostmind, 18n57, bob b. and 21 others like this.
  14. error404

error404
    from CA

I don't like washing and buffing cars, and I don't really think vehicles have to be shiney to look good. So I generally just prefer to leave it looking as it is. I wouldn't go out of my way to MAKE it look old and beat up though.

Also, good paint job is expensive, and if I had 20k in paint, I wouldn't want to drive it :D

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

For my part "patina" means an original factory paint job that while definitely showing its age with road scars, honest wear, sun and wind, it is presentable when taken as a whole. It doesn't mean rust. It applies mostly to trucks to my way of thinking for some reason. I happen to like factory enamel and the colors they used way back when.

Given that quality bodywork and paint + labor is damnably expensive these days this approach makes a lot of sense. Very few cars or trucks qualify, now it's just an overused term like "L@@k!!!" or "NOS!!". It's just word salad.

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Until their arms get tired, Anthony. :D

wraymen and anthony myrick like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Personally, either way works for me. I put the money into new parts for suspension, steering, engine/trans/rear and tires. If it gets a shiney new coat great but it will have to be done by me. I cannot see spending the going rate for a mile deep shine then fretting about driving it. Sucks all the pleasure out of cruising hundreds of miles.

WB69, ct1932ford and Chuck Lauer like this.
  18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

After living thru the smoothie, pastel, plastic looking cars of the 80’s & 90’s that lacked a soul, I dig an honest old paint that was applied 50 or more years ago by a long ago hot rodder. The current faked, scared to get a chip in the rubbed thru patina, is as bad as a splash graphic and is not what I’m talking about here. It has to be a real earned age that shows it as a survivor. And no, 80% surface rust or gaping holes is too far gone to qualify.

Don’t get me wrong, I still like a shiny paint car too. I have both nice paint and old paint cars. Both styles have their place and fun level. I have blasted my fenderless “patina” 28 PU down gravel roads kickin’ up dust and throwin’ out rocks, but I wouldn’t dare do that with the other cars.

Driver50x, WB69, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  19. squirrel

squirrel

I do that with my nice painted cars. Of course, I didn't spend 20k for the paint jobs....

jimgoetz, VANDENPLAS and 57 Fargo like this.
  20. Something about original paint just talks to me. I love love love original paint vehicles and seek out cars and pickups that wear original paint. Even old paint works. Sometimes that means a little surface rust too. I recently purchased a 1961 F100 that is a 1 owner and just turned 19,000 miles in my ownership. The paint is very presentable, but being a truck it is used. There is no way I would ever paint this truck, and no way I would have even looked at it if it had a shiny new paint job. Old, worn paint tells a story that can’t be replicated. Some cars are a little too heavy on “patina”, and others are just right. I know guys will never get it, and that’s ok. There’s plenty of stuff people do that I will never get

2A6EA237-6569-4946-9BE5-EB859E4B4A5E.jpeg AFDFE8D2-C154-435B-AF88-CD987C56C1D7.jpeg 5E73FA4F-1303-40E7-B2D0-C6DC94227E44.jpeg 16843CCF-B485-4B57-AD63-58C007BF8180.png 81175A65-4367-43EB-A05C-91933AFD9B67.png 6C75B2E5-2EC0-4DE9-AE8D-70875ECE264F.png

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Hotrodmyk, slv63, Baumi and 19 others like this.
  21. gonna add this tidbit
    after 20 years of high end European and hot rod builds, the wearing of gloves just to touch a car is great for work but not personally. I loved the detail work and the appreciation of quality work, but these cars were rarely driven.
    I like to drive old rides, rain, mud, gravel roads, bumper to bumper traffic, parts chasing, trips to the lumber yard.........
    All the nice stuff I have worked on sits in garages, gets cleaned up and loaded to a show. (occasionally)
    I just don't have any interest in that personally but I'm glad that people do. It paid the bills and was a blast for an occupation.
    I dismantled my 49 GMC and blasted it 15 +years ago. I thought it had to be perfect, I didnt realize it at the time but it already was. Faded green paint, some slight surface rust, and lots of honest truck use.
    I drove the thing everyday, now its still awaiting its restoration.
    man was I dumb back then

22. as far as monetary value, you would waste 75-90% of every dollar spent on paint work if you painted that truck

Lerenzo Rawson and VANDENPLAS like this.
  23. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I get the original patina vehicles but it's the fake stuff I just won't even look at.

jimgoetz, LWEL9226, WB69 and 2 others like this.
  24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Custom grill design is not EZ' too get so most may like it,so it's a thing I look at as ,,good try or not !
    Patina,I see as a French word that means used up,screwed up an needs fixing! "Excuse my French"
    Primer is preparation for finish paint=if it's flat,no matter what fake name you call it,it's primer an NOT A FINISH.plus no one in the 1950s or early 60s thought it was a finish.
    But there are weird exceptions too every rule.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    jimgoetz, loudbang, BJR and 2 others like this.
  25. Although just this morning, driving to work I stopped at the gas station. A guy pulled in next to me at the pump, and asked when I was going to restore it

View attachment 4462800

7FDBA4AE-085A-4F78-A3B6-C6C52E54011D.jpeg

Stogy, dwollam, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  26. badvolvo

badvolvo

Well now, my Dad loves his model A's - stock. I like my model A's hot rodded (ok, i have a bunch of Chevys). My son loves his 1st gen 240z, My wife loves her Subaru (and her 36 Chevy).
    Personally, I always start with Junk and have to cut out rust and weld in steel, then I prime, paint, cut, buff. So I guess you can tell I am not a fan of rust, or I mean patina. Although we have a 49 Willys truck in the family, It is so faded, but rust free, and I like it with the original faded red paint, it now looks like red primer job, but it is the OEM paint job. I guess on that one I like the "patina".

jimgoetz, 302GMC and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are cars, trucks and bikes that have the right patina, they survived all these years and do not need a restoration. If you don't understand that, I don't have the time to explain it. Bob

WB69, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  28. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

The first time I heard the word "Patina", I thought they were talking about that cute little black girl at the local high school. :rolleyes:

jimgoetz likes this.
  29. I like original paint or old paint that may have flaws. To me, thats "patina" but once it starts rusting, to me thats no longer patina but degradation. Flawed paint is fine, but I don't get why anyone would like rust, or an inch of accumulated dust/dirt on their car. I have always tried to get rid of rust.

jimgoetz, loudbang, BamaMav and 3 others like this.
  30. flatford39

flatford39

I actually saw one recently...it looked like shit.

VANDENPLAS likes this.