Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 348/409 v 396/427/454

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EC Sarge, Oct 22, 2019.

1. EC Sarge

EC Sarge

Question for you guys: Is the bolt pattern on the rear of a 348/409 W block, the same as the later BBC 396/427/454 ? For transmission bolt on, or just attaching to an engine stand ? Thanks
    Jim

2. squirrel

squirrel

yes, it's the same as the small block, big block, and 1963 and later straight 6.

ottoman, LOU WELLS, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  3. EC Sarge

EC Sarge

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, that's one thing I do like about Chevy over Ford, one transmission bolt pattern instead of 3 or 4....

5. squirrel

squirrel

or six or seven? Ford was all over the place. At least Mopars only had three, starting around 1960.

6. ...and Chevy II 153's and some of the Iron Dukes. ;)

6inarow and squirrel like this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Okay....we’re hot rodders right? Mores better???

Bones

Mark Yac likes this.
  8. That must mean 502 crates then. :)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Instead of Chevy say GM and start counting bolt pattern's. :)

Boden, Boneyard51 and sunbeam like this.
  10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Exactly. What about Cadillac V8's, and Pontiacs, and Buicks, and GMC 6's, and oh yeah, kind of starting to look like Ford now isn't it???

11. squirrel

squirrel

not really, the non Chevy GM V8 and V6 engines all converged on the BOP design by 1967. The small V6 and 4 cyl bolt pattern which was first used around 1980 also was a standard, used on many different engines, both front and rear wheel drive.

12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

True, but most HAMB'ers like to play with the pre '67 Caddy and Olds motors. All sorts of bellhousing fun can be had with those things. I never had to find a starter cross over for a Ford motor.

13. squirrel

squirrel

If you include Merc, Edsel, and Lincoln, you get a few more bellhousings in the Ford family....

and since OP was talking about Chevy, not GM, we probably should not include those when comparing Chevys to Fords.

14. finn

finn

Wonder what kindof Mickey Mouse design standards (get it?) Chevy had for powertrain bending moment if they kept that small bolt pattern for everything from a low power six up to their largest v8?

There’s a reason other people use a larger bolt circle for larger, higher torque engines.

RmK57 likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

What they did was use the large bolt pattern for everything, and it worked out pretty well. Until they got around to putting automatic transmissions in 4x4 trucks, that is...then they had to add some bracing. And that was with the small blocks, not big blocks.

16. fordflambe

fordflambe

If you run and automatic, the flexplate attachment is a little different on the 348/409. The flange on the end of the crank is larger on these engines so a shim is needed to make the correct fitment. Company called Sho-Cars sells the shims or they also sell a direct fit flexplate. The pic below is from the 348/409 forum.

flexplate illustr 03.jpg
    Pic is property of owner

loudbang likes this.
  17. finn

finn

I’m not a Chevy guy, even though I have a couple in the Fleet, but I thought the bop transmissions had a bigger pattern (or more bolts) than the traditional Chevy pattern. If true, then the Chevy is, indeed, the small pattern in the GM world.

The larger pattern gives a stiffer structure, which improves strength and reduces NVH, which is probably why the BOP cars use it.

18. It always seemed strange to me that the only people that complain about Chevrolet’s single bellhousing pattern are Chevy haters.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. No, not really bigger. Just different. The bottom two and the dowels are the same. A dual pattern case will illustrate this.
    In fact , wasn't it Chevy that had the 7th hole drilled and tapped at the top of some truck engines?

fordflambe likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

early V8 engines had and used the top bolt.

fordflambe likes this.