Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Coupe Deluxe. Showroom condition making me NUTZ. Charging system.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Art Glennon, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Art Glennon

Art Glennon

Happy Wednesday, and I'm happy to have found this site.
    I have a 1940 Ford Coupe Deluxe that is killing me. LOL
    It's showroom condition. Pulled out of a climate controlled garage. Last driven 25 years ago.
    I've done complete brakes including all new steel lines, rubber hoses, the works! Converted it to 1967 Mustang Dual Master cylinder.
    I've rebuilt the carb, fuel pump, added a fuel filter.
    Had both the 6 volt, positive ground generator and starter gone through. New bushings, brushes, springs.
    I've verified the wiring from the generator to the ignition key to the voltage regulator.
    I want to polarize the generator, but keep seeing so many different versions of HOW...
    I confess that at one point I did run it without polarizing. What possible damage might have resulted?
    Put all new tires on it because the tires that were on it, despite looking NEW, had the "FORD" script on them, and every classic tire company told me they were 30 years old. Amazing.
    Car is a 'Driver'... Drove it to two car shows since I bought it, and it 'walked away' with first prize both times.
    But this charging issue is killing me.
    Oh, the Radio and Clock both work.

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I cant offer help on your question, but...pictures of car please.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. It may already be polarized correctly as the rebuilder could have done it. All polarizing does it make it operate either positive or neg ground. If you turn on lights does it show a discharge? With engine running does it show a charge? If so what is the problem?
    Good luck, Jimmie

4. Art Glennon

Art Glennon

Problem has been that it 'charged' at first, but after a few miles, it stopped charging.
    ALL primary cables are new. All connecting surfaces are paint and rust free. Good SOLID connections.
    Ohmed out all the wiring from the ignition switch to the generator and everything in between.
    Oh, just drove it after reinstalling generator after last shop, local "The Last Word" shop did a check on the generator. It's apparently charging 'for now'... I've lost the ability to TRUST this thing. LOL
    Oh, (I'm embarrassed) just ran it out of gas on the way home. New tank sending unit needs to be 'adjusted' reads 1/4 tank at empty. oops.
    Putting gas in it at station, had to do a one car show for all the people who walked up and asked permission to 'LOOK'!
    Opened the hood, and started it, one guy asking which engine... I "THINK" it's the 85 hp version, correct # of head bolts, but can't find any 'difinitive' way to determine exactly.
    Glass Pack Mufflers add to "THE TOUCH"... They were in it when I bought it.

5. Art Glennon

Art Glennon

I bought the 'Factory Service Manual' from Carpenter's Ford Restorations in Charlotte, NC. I live about 40 miles from there. But it's the ACTUAL version from 1940. Doesn't have any of the 'current' knowledge about these cars. It does guide me well though. I carry two batteries with me. The 6 volt that's in it now, and an 8 volt as backup. Both are NEW and kept fully charged.

6. Art Glennon

Art Glennon

7. Art Glennon

Art Glennon

8. Art Glennon

Art Glennon

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Dadgum, that's a nice '40! Welcome to the HAMB! I had a similar issue with a stock '47 I used to own. It turned out to be a sketchy voltage regulator. Replaced it, problem solved.

lothiandon1940 likes this.