Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Two deals in one week... things definitely changing for me... and others!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Aug 29, 2019.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be honest, I can't remember if there is a relay or not. I don't think it matters as the horn DOES work...just not real well off the horn button. I have also tested the horn with a hot wire from the battery and it works fine. I think it is more of a connection problem as the horn works sometimes.
    The steering column is Chevy Astro Van. Here's the horn test info I found on the net for that column:

There is a multiwire connector lower part of steering column, look for the black wire, hopefully there is only one, that wire is ground for the horn relay. The horn switch is a ground for that relay. If you use a jumper ground connected to chassis, touch the black wire, the horn should honk. If it doesn't you either have the wrong wire or something else is wrong.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looks like a fun time is being had by all.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.Ahhhh,the trials and tribulations of old iron ownership.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

hotrodjack33 and Hamtown Al like this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jack, I found the horn relay!:) It was hanging from the back of the fuse panel behind some of your excellent upholstery.;):D I did discover that some folks take issue with EZ wiring because of a lack of wiring schematics. I can't pass judgement on what they supply. I can say that I was unable to easily find how the horn relay is wired in their system on-line. The good news is the relay they use is pretty standard and I could find a wiring diagram on how to wire that type relay to make the horns work properly. I've just got to chase all the wires and verify that they are still intact and not broken or shorted somewhere. I checked the steering column and it looks to me like the black horn wire from the column leaves the other side of the connection as one of many green wires.:eek: I'll figure it out... I hope!:D If it gets to be too much trouble I'll rework the wiring to use the normal horn relay I have coming tomorrow. Being a cat person, as you are:), I hope you won't take offense at my saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.:D:D I might use that new relay after all.:)
    The good news is we know more about it and have found the relay so it should get solved... eventually!:D
    I did test the black wire from the column with a test light that was set to be hot(versus grounded) and the test light glowed(ie, got grounded and came on) every time I hit the horn button so hopefully we won't have any further troubles with the horn button working.:)
    Thanks for your efforts to help.
    Working on wiring upside down under a dash doesn't go quite as quickly or easily as it used to!:eek::D And I don't fold up to get under there as easily either!:rolleyes::D
    Opportunites!:D:D

hotrodjack33 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, the relay is on the back of the fuse panel;) I'm really sorry that you had to hunt for it, but I really didn't remember that.:( Sorry.

EZ wire doesn't have a wiring diagram because they figure by labelling the wires every 4 inches, you don't need one:eek:. If you peel back some of the taped up harness, you should be able to find the horn wires.

I still think it's a connection issue...because the horn would work SOMETIMES..
    Maybe the contacts on the relay? Just a thought.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

We got horn!!
    IMG_5198.JPG There have always been some issues with the horn according to Jack and it completely quit on me.
    After finding the relay, I began chasing the wires. Found this loose connection on the relay plug but think it was connected before I unplugged the relay. The horn wire coming from the steering column fails to get from the column through the EZ wiring to the relay... don't know why.:eek: Also could not find a ground on the old relay.:confused: I decided to cut my losses and removed the old relay and replaced it with BWD R132 from Advance... the old standard horn relay that was used for many years. It has three wires. 12 volts in all the time; a wire to the horn; and the wire coming from the horn button.
    IMG_5202.JPG
    I got all that hooked up and still no word from the horn.:eek::mad:
    The old horn was mounted under the engine mount on the driver's side and was nicely tucked mostly out of sight but it has been on the car for some time and also managed to get covered in oil and other road grime. I took it off the car and could not get it to work. I bought a replacement horn and installed it in the same location.
    IMG_5203.JPG We got horn!:)
    One gremlin remains: If the ignition switch is off and the column lock is engaged; the horn might blow!:eek: If move the steering wheel slightly, no horn.;):)
    This doesn't happen when the ignition lock is not on.
    I'm gonna try to live with what I have for now. Of course, I haven't test driven it yet so who knows what might happen?!!:D:D
    Opportunities!:D:D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievableo_O What are the odds that the horn would "shit the bed" while you are working on it? After all. it did work occasionally...up till now. Could the horn itself been the issue all along?

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The horn might well have been part of it but the horn button wire running from the steering column to the relay had some issues, too, I believe. I'm hoping to get the delivery out today for a spin and test drive... and see if I have to disconnect the horn button!!:eek::D:D I have pretty good confidence in my work but I did put a quick pull apart connection from the horn button wire at the base of the column to the new wire I ran to the relay... just in case!;) :D
    Nice new avatar, Jack.;):D

lothiandon1940 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. 270283

Simple solution bumper sticker I saw once, "Horn not working, watch for finger".

9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al, Thanks. I figured it was time for the correct avatar. Unfortnately the car is in the shop so I can't get a good pic of it. Had to use a pic of when it was first unloaded. What took me so long to post was I had to edit the hell out of it to get rid of all the background crap (55 gal drums, tires, blue tarp etc.):eek:

Speaking of pics, your close up pics are amazing!!! I can't get anywhere near that kind of close-up quality with my phone:(. Your pics really make your descriptions understandable:D

I usually manage to get BOTH from a lot of people;)

10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings and congrats Al!...I must say I'm happy to see a FORD engine in your new ride!....( im not a big fan of " rodent" engines infesting FORDs!!

hotrodjack33 and Hamtown Al like this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^I hope you noticed, King ford, that the car I built and traded for the new ride was also equipped with a Ford engine.;)
    BTW, I drove another Ford powered 36 Ford cabriolet to LARS from VA in 2016.:)
    That trip was priceless.
    20160619_153837-1 (Medium).jpg

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5214.JPG IMG_5215.JPG Jack's green is so potent that it still reflects on a black satin firewall!!:eek::D
    Finally finished removing the checkerboard pattern from the firewall. To get it to lay down this smooth I had to remove both the green and the black paint!:eek: Scrape, scrape, scrape. Soak and wipe with paint thinner. Repeat... again and again!:eek::D
    One more "opportunity" solved.;):)
    Now, about the rest of the green... :D
    Working Al... well, WAS working; now resting.:D

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya know Al. there are underprivileged kids all over the world that don't have ANY green paint...and you are just wasting it away....:D

Ok, I hate to admit this (I mean I REALLY HATE to admit it) but I didn't like the checkerboard firewall all that much either. I had spent a whole day masking and painting it, and when I pulled the tape off...I thought to myself "holy crap, that's a bit TOO MUCH!" It sounded like a great idea at the time...ended up being a little "over the top". Just learned to live with it (actually just too lazy to remove it). Glad it's gone:)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5169.JPG IMG_5228.JPG The evolution of the elimination of the green. Latest update in last picture shows latest work to remove green from valve covers and wiring looms. I removed the cool extra top on the air cleaner made from a Ford hubcap and painted green for the time being.
    Supposed to take it to the pipe magician Wednesday to get new gas tank modified and installed along with new pipes and a few other upgrades.;):)
    Of course, since we haven't had any significant rain since June; the forecast is 90% rain on... you guessed it... Wednesday!!:eek:
    Opportunites!:D

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can almost hear the quiet sobbing of my fellow Irishmen around the world as we watched the green slowly vanish...

Just kidding...it looks great. I had no idea that the little Ford had such a "sinister look" hiding under all that green:D. What a difference...I LIKE IT!

Incidentally, the Cabriolet is going to get the same Valspar Semi Gloss black as the Sedan Deliv. Eventually, probably wide whites with Cad "Sombrero "caps. but in the mean time, I really like the rings & caps you had on the car and am keeping them on for now. Bet you can't guess my color choice for the rims....:eek::D

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Red40whole.JPG
    Jack, you should have told me you wanted yellow wheels! I think I have all 4 that I bought back later from the pal that bought this truck from me!;)
    The color is yellow... right?:D:D

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5236.JPG I took the delivery and all the new pieces over to my pipe magician.:)
    It is getting exciting. First the new gas tank; then some cleanup on the inside on the floor and relocating the master cylinder access door to match the new location after adding power brakes. Then we get to the pipes!!:)
    I'm told I can come to "visit" but not to "help!":D:D
    I couldn't "help" this guy at all anyway; yeah, I could probably hold something or other for him but they have all the stuff that makes needing a "helper" is very seldom; if at all! I learned long ago to just get out of the magician's way.;):D

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An accident waiting to happen? Looks like the giant was just waiting for some unsuspecting customer to park RIGHT THERE so he can drop his giant muffler:eek:

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good one Al...ya got me good with that one ...made me laugh:D. BUT, I have quite a bit of experience mixing paint, and I believe if we shot those yellow rims with some candy (translucent) blue, you could achieve an acceptable shade of...ahem...green:D Just sayin'.

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5252.JPG Dropped by for a look and the tank was mocked up in intended final location. New neck added as well as provisions for the gas tank sending unit. Hardware also fabbed up to mount the tank.
    It is coming along nicely.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al.
    Tank looks great. Can't believe how well it fits in there.

Not exactly a Cabriolet update, but just finished " roughing in" The spare tire carrier conversion to a locking tool box. I didn't plan to carry a spare tire in it...so why waste the space.:D
    The hardest part of the whole project was getting that diamond tuft upholstery & contact cement off it...wire brush and 3 quarts of lacquer thinner later....:eek: tir1.jpg tir2.jpg tir3.jpg tir4.jpg

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5252 a.jpeg IMG_5252b.jpeg Got an update today from the pipe magician saying the fuel system was completed and the car runs!:) He says he is now moving on to the other "opportunities.":D:D
    I can't believe he used that word!:eek:
    When I said I was surprised that he used that word he said he learned it from me!:eek:
    Surprised me! I didn't think anybody really listened to me.:D:D

23. ...................Did you say something, Al?:D;)

pprather, hotrodjack33 and Hamtown Al like this.
  24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HUH?

My wife says I never listen....no sense starting now:D

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5283.jpg
    Went by yesterday to check on the progress and the pipes were done! The pipes are under the taillights if you don't see them.;):eek: I should have gotten a shot of the 2.5" stainless pipe going from the headers to the mufflers. I think the pipes shown above are 2.5", too! Pretty good trick to run 2.5" pipes under such a tight area but I don't call him a magician for nothing!:D:D
    He is still at work fixing up a few other "opportunities":)D) I asked him to address.:)
    Sounds great!!

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jack, how about an update on the cabriolet?
    Thanks,
    Al

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al

Wish I could say I've been thrashing on the Cabriolet, but haven't had much of a chance to work on it for a while. Spent the last month Running Bonnie around to Dr's appointments AND cleaning out and refurbishing the house that Bonnie inherited from her Mother so we can put it on the market. Big fiun:eek:

The progress that has been made on the Cabriolet:;
    Lights & turn signals now all working & converted to LEDs
    Hood operating smoothly & now opens from both sides
    Outside mirrors
    Fuel pump wired to "run" side of ignition
    Electric fan thermostatically controlled
    New Lokar TV adjustable cable for the AOD (Rogers work)

And of course, the modified spare tire carrier into a locking tool box tir2.jpg

Have the wipers working (barely) but don't like them...kind of mounted at a weird angle to get them to work...going to have to go to '40 Ford wiper towers.

Fender skirts, 2" lowering blocks & stereo bought but not installed yet. Still on the fence about wide whites or not.:confused:

Dec 1 it goes over to Ronny's shop for final assembly, body and paint (he did Body & paint on the Sedan Deliv.).

Yeah I know, Spring will be here before we know it and I gotta get it done.
    It's just that "life" keeps getting in the way and ruining all my fun:(

Attached Files:

• tir1.jpg
      tir1.jpg
      File size:
      154.3 KB
      Views:
    • tir3.jpg
      tir3.jpg
      File size:
      191.9 KB
      Views:
    • tir4.jpg
      tir4.jpg
      File size:
      111.5 KB
      Views:
  28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jack, I'm glad to hear that you and Bonnie have your priorities in order.;):)
    This car stuff is just car stuff that we shouldn't let interfere too much with life as it comes along. Car stuff is supposed to be fun. If gets to feeling like it ain't fun, it's time to sit down and think about why it isn't fun... while enjoying a cold one!;):D
    As to the cabriolet, I think what your are doing to it pretty much corresponds to what I might have done. I thought the electric fuel pump was already wired to run off the ignition side of the switch but I did have a switch under the dash that provided the option to cut it off. Congratulations on figuring out and getting that slick hood opening hardware fully functional.
    That wiper setup that was on the car when I got it looked funky to me, too. Sounds like you are on to a much better solution. Same with adding thermostatic control of the fan.:)
    I think your "trunk" is a neat addition as well. How is the plan coming to convert the rumble seat to a regular trunk? Could be simple for a knowledgeable fiberglass man... which I ain't!!:D
    Please give my best to Bonnie and good luck with her mom's house... many of us have been down that road and have first hand knowledge of the "opportunities" that come with it.:D
    Jack, I have to warn you that if you keep talking about all this progress and don't post some pictures soon; there are many guys on here that will be soon saying, "Pictures, or it didn't happen.";):D:D
    Just sayin':D

Roger or Ronny is gonna have some Hamber show up with a camera!:eek:

My best to Ms. Bonnie... as always.:)
    Patiently waiting for pictures Al

29. .....................To quote Al, "Patiently waiting for pictures":D;) AArZ6ns.jpg

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Still looks like the valve covers may have a lite cast of green to them.
    May have to respray them a different color?
    or do my eyes deceive me?
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.