Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What is the craziest custom feature you've seen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Oct 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I've got to start off with this one. 20191021_223244 (2).jpg I was looking through a 1960 Speed Mechanics magazine and came across this 57 Ford with......a fur lined trunk with an aquarium in the center.:eek:

2. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

When I was a kid a guy used to drive a '50 Buick covered in live grass. I don't know what held it on but that body must have suffered.

3. Like this?

36067564273_4d881ff78b_k.jpg

Sandgroper, deadbeat, TagMan and 3 others like this.
  4. That should rub out!
    Don't ruin that great patina!
    I've seen these get 50k on Barret Jackson, gotta be worth almost that...
    Etc...

62rebel, VANDENPLAS and weps like this.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Maybe not the craziest but some radical fifties customs had TV sets in the dashboard. This was illegal in all states because it was a potential distraction to the driver. Now all kinds of new cars have TV screens in the dash. I guess somehow now it's legal.

Sandgroper, 62rebel and dana barlow like this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want a car covered in grass there is a trick to it. You glue grass seed all over the car and water it every day. Pretty soon you have a long crop of grass that will live a few weeks if you keep watering it, especially if you put a little Miracle Grow in the water. What happens after that is you have a shitty car covered in dead grass.

dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

This isn't a freakin' thread about grass. Some guys back in the day had some crazy custom ideas and they were serious. Keep on track!

scotty t likes this.
  8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Many years ago I had a girlfriend with a third nipple. I guess since she came that way, it would be more "factory stock" than "custom", but that "feature" made me crazy

9. I seem to recall a guy driving a Ford Fairlane around town in the late 60's with a finish that felt like velvet, I believe it was called flocking.

And also the Dodge & Plymouth's with wild vinyl tops, paisley & wild colors. HRP

10. This is where the old ,"Pictures or it didn't happen" adage comes into play. :D HRP

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I mean, do you really need to look further than the Golden Sahara? It had translucent tires that glowed and drove by remote control. Can you imagine what the conversations were like in the process of coming up with that kind of stuff?
    golden-sahara(1).jpg

53 hemi, Sandgroper, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  12. Had to have a TV, record player, phone, and a little bar. Then don't forget the tool panel in the trunk that would have a chrome set of tools displayed along with your gas, water, oil cans.

13. abc123

abc123

2a80ea8fb30df3ce69b54104a1a1db65.jpg
    Assymetrical styling.

There are a ton of crazy custom things but nearly all of them seem to be on non-HAMB-friendly vehicles.

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

Patina. No question about it.

15. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I remember a 60 chevy convertible with the trunk turned into a rumble seat

16. You posed a question that is hard to answer, crazy doesn't necessarily mean tasteful or cool. There have been bodies mounted backwards on frames, TV's, reel to reel tape players, cars covered in indoor outdoor carpet, cars shaped like toilets etc.

quick85 likes this.
  17. Stooge

Stooge

Don't forget the hot dog maker for the person on the go!
    29356636_899845053527180_726541104492576768_o.jpg

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rust?

19. BJR

BJR

I remember sometime back in the 60's in one of the major car mags of a 32 Ford with 58 Mercury tail lights mounted and blended into the roof. The image of that fuck up has stuck in my brain to this day.:eek: Maybe someone out there has a picture of it?

20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I didn't say it had to be cool...I'd never put an aquarium anywhere in a car! Looking for outlandish.

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Man, that actually sounds awesome.

Sandgroper likes this.
  22. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Possibly the origin of the phrase: "That car is really flocked up!"

23. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I bet it come around on customs because then you didn't have to worry about body lines matching side to side !! Made the job soo much faster and easier

24. Years ago, I had a co-worker who was preparing for a long road trip with his wife and a bunch of kids. He built a hot and cold drink dispenser in his glove box. No pictures but imagine a cooler in the trunk, copper tubing coiled around the exhaust manifold, 20' feet of fishtank hose and the little brass valves that go with it, and a half dozen Tupperware tumblers with air-tight lids and hose sized holes in the lids. Run one section of hose to the intake for a vacuum source and I think you get the picture.
    The car wasn't exactly a custom, but the "feature" sure was. :confused:

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

When I was a kid there was an El Camino in the neighbor had that was flocked with various colors. I would see him vacuuming the outside of his car.

Gotgas and Barn Hunter like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

27. There's something about that barber shop rod that I really like.....

Sandgroper likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

There was a just barely off topic lowrider at our car show a week or two ago, that had hydraulics. The hydraulic pumps were mounted in the trunk, on a 4 bar setup, so it could be lifted (using hydraulics) up out of the trunk, so we could all see the glorious engraved chrome finish on them. The trunk lid was also mounted "suicide" to add to the effect.

Neat car....some of those lowrider guys up in Phoenix take this stuff pretty seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.