Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I work out hard during the off season and loose it all. toward the end of summer I put some back on do to little gym time. I need five more to be at my ideal fighting weight.

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Wife and I were just saying , if it tastes good , it's bad and vice versa , hardly seems fair ?!

Speedwrench, loudbang, OFT and 5 others like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You don’t need to be at fighting weight you carry a Sig

4. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

You said that 2 rings were binding after the last run, what was the gap on them? How big of gap are you going with this time?
    Tony

5. Hey Brian,
    What kind of differential mount do you use?
    Also,,,is that a Dana pos?

Tommy

I wish you good luck with your Bruno.
    Enormous power eats them.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Tony it has nothing to do with gap. Gap is effected by heat. As the heat goes up the gap closes. I run .038 gap. Top and second ring. There were no signs of butted rings. The issue was detonation. The force is so much it actually compresses the top of the piston. This closes up the ring groove pinching a ring.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  7. I picked up the 40 spline spool friday after work. This thing is beefy. Jim at the chassis shop has a piece of axle that has two flats machined into it. Putting that axle stub into a vice takes all the work out of torquing the ring gear in place. 20191018_161226.jpg

8. Brian,
    I read it stated some time ago about Nitro,,,and it always holds true!
    The guy said,,,,When you can light 100 dollar bills and not flinch,,,,then you are ready for Fuel!
    Yes,,,,,nitro will crush parts that some don’t realize would be possible.
    Obviously,,,you know.

I am very impressed with your hot rod,,,,,super cool.
    And a fuel Hemi to boot,,,,,awesome!!!
    70% is a lot of fuel to burn,,,it creates massive amounts of power!

Tommy

9. Desoto hemi there are several pics of the dana being installed in the frame many pages back. They are custom made mounts. I was using a trac lock sure grip. It's the factory unit with clutches.

10. Brian,

Yeah,,,,I recognized the unit,,,Lol.
    I was wondering if the rear is solid mounted though,,,,no suspension components,,,,just solid mount.

Tommy

11. We drive it on the street so it has to be suspended. If it wasn't I would have ongoing bills with my dentist putting my fillings back in. We use qa-1 double adjustable shocks.

12. Lol,,,I know what you mean .

Seems I remember somewhere that at high speed,,,,,with the amount of power you are producing,,,that the car can become unstable and want to dart right and left.
    Seems like the old Fiat racers with their limited wheelbase,,,got really squirrely at top speed,,,Until changing the rear mounts.
    A blown Hemi on nitro is a tremendous amount of power,,,and with the wheelbase and aerodynamics of your rod I was curious.

It is truly a beautiful car,,,,some of the pics just look out of this world.
    And the videos posted are super nice as well.

Do you have any estimate of the power it makes?

Tommy

13. My car has a 125 inch wheel base the same as any modern fuel funny car. The slight downward angle on the roof creates alot of down force. The zoomies are at a angle that also provides down force and forward thrust. I have had no issues on the top end.

14. How do you make a chevy rental car go faster? Put a hemi in it silly goose.
    I'm off to iowa with parts of the engine. Roger and I are going to in increase the center studs to 9/16ths. This will provide more clamping force on the gasket. The heads can be torqued higher. The studs under extreme pressure do stretch under this load of nitro. To ensure the head stays in place along with the gasket this is the next logical choice. The lower studs wont change because there are twice as many as the middle row. This is all normal stuff at this level. 20191019_173227.jpg

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    Not to question the knowledge base of you and Roger but curious as to what kind of tap you plan on using, regular cutting tap, thread rolling tap or Heli-coil.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. Roger has some kind of special tap he uses. We will use the mill to drill it. I'm sure the mill will also be used to get the tap started straight. The hardened inserts on the stands will be replaced. Drilling them removes too much from the shoulder.
    No heli coils will be used.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. Glad to hear your stable at the top end.
    Man,,,that Hemi is a monster,,,,,I can’t imagine hanging on to it!
    Yes,,,,larger head studs are the next logical order,,,,,it will raise the heads off the gaskets otherwise.
    Is that a KB block ?

What is your estimate,,,,,2000 hp ?

Tommy

18. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Why do you have “cup holders” in the back of the rental car? ( maybe for the DIET Coke)
    Those rental cars have always been stronger than an average car.

19. Polished Kb stage 10. Std deck and cam height. Dry sleeve water block.
    Don't know the hp. We keep finding more as the tune up gets better.

20. Seems like you make sound decisions and use good parts.
    Can’t go wrong with a KB 10,,,,,I like the water block,,,and dry sleeves!
    What crank,,,,,KB as well?

Man,,,this really has my attention!

Tommy

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  21. Valasco 4.5

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  22. Velasco is an excellent crankshaft.
    I have a nice KB 4.5,,,,they really are good quality.
    I would really enjoy hearing about your entire combo,,,if you get a chance.

Tommy

23. It's all in the thread.

24. 20191020_152637.jpg 20191020_124622.jpg DDDenny here is your answer on the tap. I don't know the advantages of its design over others but I can tell you it worked great.

Attached Files:

25. AmishMike

AmishMike

Surprised at look of tap but if it works - & u & machinest know hell of a lot more then me. Couple years ago searched for special tap to do blind hole - can not explain do not know right words - tap starts not pointed but same all the way down hole ends in block. Anyway love your build, missed u this year at drag week. Helped a friend with soccer mom van all wheel drive with 2 v6 & trannys & turbos. Made it all the way with 11.52 in 11.50 class after 6 mile test drive before drag week.

26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That is called a bottoming tap

27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

chryslerfan55, Tim and loudbang like this.
  30. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

loudbang likes this.