Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chop top prices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Yeah im starting to love non chopped cabovers too.

fourspeedwagon, Nostrebor and Petejoe like this.
  2. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

5 weeks times 40 hours sounds like 200 hours to me. But who only works 40 hours a week when doing one of these. The other thing is shops will not take on a job where a customer wants to do the finish welding, to good a chance on screwing up their reputation relying on someone else's skills. I've chopped a few but the 51 in my avatar is the last.

SS327, Squablow, ronzmtrwrx and 3 others like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Colonial Coupe. You did a very nice chop on
    your 51. What you said is so true.

Colonial Coupe likes this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

While I have never done a complete top chop, I have participated in a few. Helped cut the top, Help lift the top off, Held a few pieces for welding, ect. Without helping I would have thought 200 hours was too much time. After helping I might think it is not enough. Just the thought of welding the circumference of the roof turns me off now. On that truck the roof will probably need to be cut in 4 pieces for a 2 inch chop. On that pick-up roof one lap around it would be like 12 feet of weld. So 12 feet of weld 1/4 inch at a time then let it cool will take how long? And there is much more welding besides that.

rod1, Nostrebor, 57JoeFoMoPar and 2 others like this.
  5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've done about 40+ chops. Each car is different. Same car, more or less inches in the chop-completely different. Extras like slanted B pillars, hardtop conversion, different back window...add lots of time! Slanted A pillars, decrowning... more time. What I'm saying is that custom work can only be priced fairly by time and material. Unless it's a super easy chop (model A) it's going to be all over the map in pricing. The area you live in also affects hourly rate, therefore overall cost.

6. Try Scott Guildner, he's in so cal does very good work and can get it in and out as needed. 818-709-2139

7. Maybe it'll work out in the end...
    20190929_131450.jpg
    20191019_154747.jpg 20191019_154752.jpg 20191019_154804.jpg

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1000 dollars an inch is about correct...welding wire, gas , cut off wheels , etc..

9. morac41

morac41

choptop40... Does that include interior garnish molds-resizing stainless windscreen and side trim molds.....dont see how charging by the inch has anything to do with about the same amount of work involved whatever the chop is...maybe I'm missing something?

KevKo likes this.
  10. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

We do everything time and material no exeptions, if you needed a rough estimate it would say 160 hours. chopped and metal finished out. my labor rate is $100 per hour so that is $16000. The other people talking about hours and money really are not far off. Just remember you get what you pay for. i fix a lot of cars that the other guy said he could do it cheaper.

Squablow, H380 and 66gmc like this.
  11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes , im thinking basic 2 door , no stainless , no vent windows , no glass,,,Guess i didnt realize a complete ready to go chop...im way off...

12. If ya trust your welding skills to finish, consider doing it all.
    Learned skills are priceless.
    Even if some of the tool investment is close to what you think the chop is worth.
    I have seen more bad chops than good.
    I have personally only been involved with one. The details are the hours. Garnish mountings, door fitment, window channels, and all the metal finish work.
    I knew a guy that would chop any 2 door for $500. It looked and fit like a $500 chop.
    I agree with others that those trucks look messed up with a heavy chop.
    Should be enough info here to formulate a plan.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When you talk to the owner about a job and then solicit a worker to do the job on the side, you and the worker are stealing from the owner!

Hammurd and anthony myrick like this.
  14. The work I did at home for my bosses friends and bosses customers always had the bosses blessings.

15. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I'll throw my 2 dollars in. As an owner of an AD truck, I kinda pay attention to them. As Mr48chev pointed out, 2 -1/2" to 3" chop really looks "balanced". 150 to 200 hours is a pretty ligitamate answer. Don't lean the windshield pillars. ----------On a completely different, but related note. Back in the 50's there was a cartoon about chopping a 50 Merc. Guy has his Merc chopped, in primer, he receives his bill. $1000 to chop the top. He really complains and the shop owner says 'I'll rewrite the bill for you"------saw blades $1.00---gas and oxygen $3.00-----lead $8.00-----Primer$5.00----labor$350.00---total $367.00 -----knowing how to cut it, -------where to cut it, -----AND----- how to put it together,.... $633.00______Grand Total $1,000 "Any Questions" Bill Rinaldi

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  16. 40desoto

40desoto

Great Advise Spark. I like doing most things myself and was considering doing 40 mopar myself. I still have to learn my limits.. :)
    Its just so expensive to get someone to do the work nowadays

17. Hammurd

Hammurd

I paid $10k in 2013 to chop my 1960 thunderbird but I can’t find a single flaw in the completed job. After all is said and done a proper chop looks to be very labor intensive. I’d say today $18-$20k is a good starting point for a car though probably less for a truck. 142A9BA9-BCE1-4EF5-AA6B-935751B73C26.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    gimpyshotrods and JNKYARDDOG_1 like this.
  18. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

If you are going to farm out the work, find someone who has done the same make, year, and model before. Why pay for someone else to gain the experience and education when you could learn yourself.. You want to hire someone who knows how to do the job, not learn the job or procedure at your expense. This follows the same concept as: do I buy the tools to do a job or do the buy the skilled labor to do the job. Pretty deep stuff.

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Respectfully, where did you hear that? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Compare work required for a 4 inch chop (WITH glass), for a Model A, 32 Ford, 34 Ford, 40 Ford, 50 Merc and Chevy Fleetline. Those are jobs that differ radically in terms of difficulty and labor despite all being the same number of "inches"

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  20. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Shops are $75-100/hr now, so $15k is definitely reasonable.

I do chop classes across the country. Depending on how much work you want to or can do yourself depends on how much you pay. If you can draw what you want, it'll cost $15k+. If you can draw what you want, and weld, but just need some help in the chop layout and execution part of things... and can do basic bodywork, you could get it done for less than $5k. Ask me how! I'd love to help!

Budget36 and R A Wrench like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a good example of how shop rates vary by metro area.

That shop rate is what I needed to charge here, 10-years-ago.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  22. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

This was 2 years ago. $3500 3 inch chop. Done by a pro. Yes I have to finish but still a great deal. 44.jpg

Budget36 likes this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

There is a third more preferable option:

USE AN EXTRA ROOF PANEL TO SPLICE IT IN AND END UP WITH ONLY ONE SEAM AND NO FILLER PANEL NEEDED.

Also, take less out of the back window by moving the top window section up higher on the roof.

Here is a 3" chop using two roofs and taking only 1.5 inches out of the rear window.

46trk01bondo.jpg 46trk05.jpg 46trk06 (2).jpg 46trk24.jpg 46trkbodypaint02_2.jpg

2Blue2 likes this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Also, I suggest sectioning the seat riser accordingly, as shown above, depending on the driver's height (I'm tall).