Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. The coupe is a 1928 or 1929 Dodge Brothers Victory Six coupe.

2. mopar57

mopar57

I know it's an old thread but we finally went to the pit in Benson Az to check it out. Pretty cool spot. Attached is a few pics.

Attached Files:

3. scotts52

scotts52

There's a lot of good stuff right there. Solid metal. A lot of talented people here on the HAMB could put some of those back on the street. At the very least, some good patch panels. Especially for those they don't repop.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I need to get back there and see how it looks, been over 10 years since I saw it. The last time I intended to go, it had rained recently, lots of mud on the road by the tracks.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  5. mopar57

mopar57

Yeah that road would be real bad after a rain. Some good parts still for sure.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  6. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Some friends of mine went there about 38 years ago. There was still some chrome trim available back then, They saw an impressively large snake. You might want to go in cool weather...

Bowtie Coupe and 34 GAZ like this.
  7. Don,t worry. Snake is dead :D:p.

Truck64 and firstinsteele like this.
  8. DDdawn

DDdawn

"The pit" of cars near benson is still there. We were just there today. Here are a few of the many pics we took

Attached Files:

9. squirrel

squirrel

Is this the one by the railroad track?

10. Thanks for the update and keeping the thread going. I am now in eastern Arizona near Springerville and St Johns. Love the weather and conditions up here. It is another world from the Phx area. Very Happy and there are plenty of places to explore and things to find up here in this much less populated area of the state.

Bowtie Coupe, stillrunners and Offset like this.
  11. yes

squirrel likes this.
  12. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

One of the best threads on the HAMB

applekrate and Oilguy like this.
  13. The snake that was there 38 years ago has likely passed on, but he may have some descendants out there.

stillrunners and applekrate like this.
  14. Hey out there! I will be resuming these adventurous exploratory hikes soon. Mainly in Gila, Navajo and Apache counties. if interested , message me. Also, my next show here in eastern Arizona is Saturday, Aug 28. Open to all motorized vehicles but, is mainly classic cars

Attached Files:

15. Lil32

Lil32

good luck with your hikes
    look forward to photos

16. squirrel

squirrel

scotts52 and Offset like this.
  17. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

When we first moved down to Mesa I took a trip to Amarillo via the 60 to pickup the original spare tire and wheel for my car. Amazing what I saw between Showlow and where the 60 hits the 75 in NM. Looks of old iron sticking out of bards or alongside old buildings.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Anyway to pin this thread at the top?

19. squirrel

squirrel

Not likely....

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at the hulks in that gulley I see that most still had the frames on them. Here locally they used hulks to shore up the creek banks down on the creek a few miles from my place but all the frames were cut out of them for scrap before they hauled them to the creek. Up until the 70's the local "city dump" was up over the first hill to the south on Hwy 97 from my place and that was when they still burned garbage at the dump and in the 50's and 60's guys would haul the hulks that they had stripped the frames and anything they could sell out of to the dump and the guys who ran the dump would burn the hulks so they could get the copper wire out of them. Then they pushed the burned hulk over the side with the bulldozer. There were hulks all over in the brush in the foothills and my neighbor hauled a lot of those in or what ever parts they could get off them. A lot of them are early 30's or older.

21. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Oh well

22. mopacltd

mopacltd

Anyone seen or heard from applecrate?

23. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

24. dart4forte

dart4forte