Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bill Snyder, WWII Veteran and Bonneville Record Holder Turns 100 Years Old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick S, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Rick S

Rick S

Bill Snyder June 24-25 2015.JPG Virgil William (Bill) Snyder will be 100 years old on October 22, 2019

Bill’s a proud WWII U.S. Army Air Force veteran who has lived a pretty exciting life. Not too many of these guys left.

Bill was born in 1919 and grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota. When World War II broke out, Bill enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force to become a fighter pilot. After completing his training he instead chose to become a B-17 flight engineer, and a short time later an instructor. Bill logged over 1400 hours of flight time teaching crews of nine how to fly, and most importantly how to land B-17’s.

After the war, Bill received his degree from the University of Minnesota and began teaching mechanical drafting and auto shop class at the local high school. Bill raced in the summer months and was fourth-ranked nationally on dirt tracks in 1947.

In 1948, Bill left his teaching position to work for a small manufacturing company in Minneapolis where he eventually rose to position of Executive Vice Precedent of Marketing. Today, that company is known as Thermo King Corporation.

As VP of marketing, Bill promoted the company through racing and by sponsoring numerous Indy, Can Am, and Sprint cars. Bill also sponsored all of Tyrone Malone’s diesel powered race trucks, including the world famous “Super Boss”.

While most executives wore a suit and tie and conducted business in corporate board rooms, Bill instead could be found at the Bonneville Salt Flats dressed in his fire suite, helmet and gloves, strapped behind the wheel of a diesel powered vehicle preparing to set yet another land speed record.

In all Bill Snyder set 6 world and 6 national land speed records (one stood for over 30 years), also won the Bonneville “Person of the Year” award, is a member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club, and was in the Guinness Book of World Records for driving the fastest diesel powered vehicle in the world. Back in the day, when not setting records, Bill could be found driving his Corvette “Easy Money”, or out on Lake Minnetonka, one of Minnesota’s largest lakes, in one of his many V8 powered ski boats including a custom built Donzi power boat, that he deemed "was a bit too much" even for that lake.

Bill is enjoying his retirement with his wife, rides his bike everyday and still has a great memory. We should all be so lucky.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

too bad that he is married - I have a second cousin that will turn 98 next month that would like to have a boyfriend

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Birthday Bill...You truly have and continue to inspire...What an awesome adventure you have been on, Congratulations on your Milestones and Victories and thanks for your service and Good Health and Happiness to you always...;)

Thanks for sharing this @Rick S

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder I Bill is still with that "honey" he had at Bonneville in the mid and late 70's... Looked like quite a handful at times.. Happy Birthday Bill...

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Happy Birthday.

Boneyard51, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. Congratulations Bill, you've traveled a long and wonderful road, keep going. Happy Birthday!

7. lothiandon1940, Boneyard51 and Stogy like this.
  8. Rick S

Rick S

jimmy six, yes he is still with that same honey he had at Bonneville in the mid and late 70's

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for him....I remember some shouting while waiting in line.. I believe she was driving one of the smaller engine streamliners. I'm guessing they made up later at the hotel that evening. ;)

10. Rick S

Rick S

11. Opleezz

Opleezz
    from Minnesota

Happy birthday! Great story!

Stogy and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Rick S

Rick S

BTTT

Stogy likes this.
  13. Rick S

Rick S

BTTT for those that may have missed this

Stogy likes this.
  14. Born the same year as my father. Amazing how well he is doing.

Stogy and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. All of those things are incredible accomplishments individually, but all three together are phenomenal! 100 years old, WWII Veteran, Bonneville Record holder! Congratulations Sir!

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Most awesome individual! Those guys rule! I had the privilege of hanging with a bunch of those guy, off of the USS Enterprise! They partied my ass into the ground, back in about 2004, in Springfield, Ill! Greatest Generation.... no shit! Loved those guys!

Bones

Stogy and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Great Story about a Great Person!
    Congrats Bill on the anniversary of your 100th trip around the sun!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Best whishes Bill and greetings from the old days of IMCA big car racing, SCCA, and my time with you at Thermo King.
    Art Abrahams

JIMMY "HOFFA" PASQUIN and Stogy like this.
  19. part of the greatest generation ! Happy Birthday & Best Wishes … thank you for your service..

Stogy likes this.
  20. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

A tip of the cap to you, Bill! You truly are a hero and an inspiration. Happy Birthday, sir, may you have many more.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  21. Happy Birthday and best wishes for many more !

Stogy likes this.
  22. Jack Lysne

Jack Lysne

Had the pleasure of meeting you once at Thermo King. Fascinating to hear your stories and of your accomplishments. 100 years old is another great milestone. Also thank you for your service to our country. Happy Birthday Mr. Schneider.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  23. Rick S

Rick S

BTT one last time

jimmy six likes this.
  24. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Centurions ROCK!! Happy 100th to you Sir.

25. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 100th BILL !

An achievement number to be as proud of as those you ran on the salt !

Ed

26. What a wonderful life, and it’s still not done. Congrats to you.!

27. A belated Happy Birthday to you, Mr. Snyder!! Best wishes for many more. You've made an impact on many levels during that span. You are to be congratulated for your many contributions!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have not seen Bill in at least 30 years. I began working in 1979 for the local Thermo King dealer, Bill was still employed at TK corp. The owner of the dealer worked with Bill on several land speed projects after Bandag tires took over the TK machine, the Isuzu c201 powered diesel.
    I had the pleasure of "baby sitting" the Donzi when it was parked in our shop for a few weeks. It was scary pulling that boat in and out of the shop with a fork lift. My boss got a ride in that boat on lake of the ozarks, "I think I left permanent hand prints on that walnut dash". Scared him shitless! If I recall, twin 454's with 871 blowers and injection.
    I am thrilled to hear Bill is still kicking!

29. Rick S

Rick S

I talked with Bill on his 100th Birthday...he had just gotten back from renewing his driver's license. He said, "put me in a race car and I'll show you how a 100 year old guy drives". And I believe he would too.

30. Rhorazuk

Rhorazuk

JIMMY "HOFFA" PASQUIN and Stogy like this.