Register now to get rid of these ads!

Algon fuel injection, and accessories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Algon, Feb 25, 2008.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I had an Algon setup for a 300 Ford inline six. I sold it before I ever got around to working on it to - believe it or not - a guy who had an exotic V-12 Masseratti [or Lamborghini, I've forgotten which] who was having problems with the V-12 injection and wanted to adapt the 300 six stuff to his V-12.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I once had two super rare Algon setups. One was for 455 Olds, one was for 430 Lincoln...

Long gone to new homes.

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well being this is an Algon thread, thats why I asked if ,an Algon base be rebuilt with Hilborn hardware ?

4. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

In answer to your question YES. Al used individual nozzles same as Hilborn/Kinsler/Crower but his each had a adjustable needle in them. The control or often referred to "barrel valve" also was different, not actually a "barrel" but a needle moved in/out (I've yet to take mine apart) in a block controlled by the throttle.
    You could replace all the nozzles/hoses with Hilborn stuff, and add the Hilborn barrel valve and bypass system. The Algon also used a unique aircraft(WWII) type fuel pump which is long out of production, and I find impossible to locate parts. If you used all other Hilborn parts obviously their pump would also work.

5. backwoods96

backwoods96
    from Mead, Wa.

I have one of those pump's if anyone is interested. Frank

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have a few Cherrys so good there ,,thanks

7. Algon

Algon

Actually Algon dropped the brass needle and seat valve you speak of for a more standard barrel valve but it also was adjustable. At first it was used with the adjustable nozzles but matching fixed nozzles became the standard to make the system more user friendly. There are also several different pumps besides the aircraft units and many variations of those.

Here is a rather hard to find Algon piece, the drive extension to clear a Glimer belt along with the early brass valve and a 427 MR intake which has the fixed nozzle set and an early adjustable barrel valve.

Attached Files:

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

[​IMG]

I owned an Algon for a Hi-Riser FE like this one of 34 Andy's, except the fuel mgmt. parts and the name and fins in the middle had been milled away for some reason. It had been purchased out of Texas some where by Percy Dowlin for his Thunderbolt, here in Middle Tn. It used aerated nozzles but were not Hilborn.
    The control valve and distribution block, were a conventional barrel style made from a gold/gray colored anodized aluminum block. It used Jackson screw in by-pass jets that went in with a screw driver under a AN cap on top of the valve.
    Gave the manifold to a friend who wanted it and probably wound up sold for scrap. I never saw another like it. The other parts later sold and given away when I quit.
    Tom S. in Tn.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  9. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

I have this Algon unit for a Y-block Ford.
    Kennedy

Attached Files:

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

I have one myself and know where 2 others are located. One of which is actively used.

Wonder how many were made.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Probably not many, and I bet that one of those is the one I had. Mine came from the guy that used to run an alcohol-fed big-inch 455 (496?) in a black Henry J on the west coast (until he replaced that with a DRCE). I later sold it to someone on the ROP forum. Too cool of a piece, I wouldn't be surprised if someone's not using it.

12. afaulk

afaulk

You can get hoses with swedged ends from dragparts.com I think they have a tool you can buy to build your own also. The hoses though are not expensive. Good luck, Allan Faulkner:D

13. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

I bought mine on ROP. I got it from a member in Mich , his name is Tom.

One is being used on a race car. Think it's a 51 Chevy. Owners name is Greg.

Third I know of belongs to someone from the classic olds forum who lives in Virginia, named Joe. His isn't being used.

14. 1961A/D

1961A/D

Taking a long shot here, any good useable Algon adustable nozzles for sale, maybe some one changed over to hilborn or kinsler fixed nozzles. PM me if you want.
    Thanks, Bobby

15. 1961A/D

1961A/D

Saw this algon system on a slingshot while at Bakersfield last month, sounded nice when chakl`n on nitro. Motor was like the original in the chassis, a Desoto hemi, SWEET.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  16. 1961A/D

1961A/D

These Algon peices were for sale in the swap meet, the water outlets were re-pops. Scoop, $2,200, flat head unit $2,700.

Attached Files:

• sm1.jpg
      sm1.jpg
      File size:
      323.4 KB
      Views:
    • sm2.jpg
      sm2.jpg
      File size:
      328.3 KB
      Views:
    • sm3.jpg
      sm3.jpg
      File size:
      350.3 KB
      Views:
    • sm4.jpg
      sm4.jpg
      File size:
      399.4 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  17. sonoramic

sonoramic
    from Maryland
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Hello all,

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I have a buddy that is looking for a ALGON front timing cover for a SBC. If anyone has one, or knows of a good place to source one, please let me know.

18. My Algon Flathead unit I have just purchased algon 1.jpg

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

JJ, Thanks for doing my advertising for me!! LOL!! Those are 2 complete units for sbc that I've had for some time, & by complete, I mean injectors, front covers, fuel & water pumps.(There is also a spare Algon water pump sitting between them as a separate piece)., AND YES, those prices are FIRM!!

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

22. drumyn29

drumyn29

Why are there 2 large threaded holes, one small one(red cap) and the other some kind of a bleeder. MVC-004F.jpg MVC-005F.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would guess fuel in and out and maybe a pressure gauge port

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 2 Algon 302 GMC units. A straight and a fully cast 45* angle. The straight has larger butterflies, both have Cherry-Burrel pumps belt driven, one has the 2 to 1 gear reduction. Neither have adjustable nozzles. I showed Ken Enderle one of Al’s barrels valves and he thought it was an excellent design. The internals of a GMC make shared port mechanical injection use with gasoline a little hard to perfect, nitro/alcohol is a different story. Both units have been run at Bonneville.

25. Tweety16

Tweety16
    from Florida

I have just acquired an Algon injection for a 348/409 Chevy. I need the water outlets and also the velocity stacks. The bores are 1 3/4". Can anybody help?

26. So you must be the one who saved me from being scolded by my wife. Good luck finding the missing parts.

If you plan on trying to R&R the injection system, you'll also need one of the Algon-converted Cherry-Burrell pumps as shown in this thread.

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I can make the stacks upload_2020-8-7_17-31-27.png

Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.
  28. Tweety16

Tweety16
    from Florida

Good morning!
    That is great that you can make the stacks I need. I have attached some pix of my injection.
    Thanks David

Attached Files:

29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Not a problem, but I will need the injection in order to make them or I can make up a kit of flared stacks and bungs and you can finish them up--- either way you want it

30. Tweety16

Tweety16
    from Florida

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the advice. What I typically have done with the Algons is use a Hilborn or Kinsler barrel valve, pump and nozzles. I know, that is sacrilege, but they work really well and are easy to obtain. This is going on a street setup so I really need the reliability.
    Once again thanks for the help!
    David