Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 61-64 Chevrolet 4-Door Wagon Quarter Glass Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unassembled, Oct 21, 2019.

1. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Anyone out there have experience pulling the quarter glass from a 61-64 Chevy 4-Door station wagon? I have the interior completely removed and to me it looks as though it might come out from the inside of the car. The glass is good, but the weatherstrip is garbage. I have new Steele Rubber w/strips to re-install.

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

If not trying to save the old rubber, the removal is probably as simple as any other old windshield or back glass once any retainers are removed, just cut the rubber with a blade along the outer edge of the glass (careful not to scrape the actual glass for fear of chipping etc.)removing the lip part of the rubber that is holding the glass in.

3. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

So I went to my favorite glass guy and he told me they come out from the inside, and in his words ,"they're a bitch" so he won't do them because most of the rear interior needs to be removed. Since I'm doing a body off rebuild, the interior was already out. From that point it's simple, remove the retainer clips and gently press from the outside. I used a glass suction cup to hold the window and gently inserted a stiff putty knife between the body and the rubber to break it loose. easy-peasy once you know the direction it comes out.

low budget likes this.