Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Petronix interchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 20, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I picked up a 55 272 Y block that has a Petronix in the original distributor but would like to know if I can remove it and install it in the 62 distributor I want to use or will I have to buy a new one.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

'55 is 6 volt Load-o-magic, ain't it? Post '56 distributor uses the same style breaker plate (sorta) up until '73.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. Go to your local parts house that sells them and have them look up the unit for both model dist. you are talking about and see if they both have the same part number. Option 2 is to pull Pertronix up on line and do a little homework there if it will let ya. If the part numbers are different there's your answer.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It was converted to 12 volts.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Has the distributor been changed to a post '56 style? Or take a pic, even the basic 1281 Ignitor would should work fine in a '62 Y-block distributor.

6. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

No... it will not fit. You will need a new one.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It is the original 55 distributor.

8. I think I have this figured out. You have a 55 motor and want to install a 62 dist in that motor while using a Pertronix 6-V 1955 unit you already have in the new to your motor 62 dist. Is that correct? If so my fresh advice is to call the Pertronix Tec support at 909-599-5955 and explain all that to them. That's the best place to get the correct advice for what your trying to do.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That is correct and I think the 55 distributor has a 12 volt kit in it since it was setup for 12 volts.

10. Call and talk to the Tec line. Be sure to have the numbers off the Pertronix unit in question. They can tell you everything you need to know.

jimmy six likes this.
  11. F.Y.I. Not all 12-V Pertronix units are made to run full 12-V. Some still require a Balast resister to drop the Voltage. Another good reason to talk to the Tec Guys there.

banjeaux bob likes this.
  12. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Totally different distributors with totally different breaker plates with totally different mounting plates attached to module. Will not fit.

13. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

The Pertronix units are all basically the same. It is the mounting that is different. If the distributors used the same points, then you could use the same Ignitor unit. As Pist-N-Broke stated, the Ignitor I requires a balast resistor. This is the unit most people think about and complain about. It doesn't have an automatic shut off, so if there is power going to it but the engine itself is not on, you will burn it out. The Ignitor II is the way to go. You can run the full 12V to it without the balast resistor.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No it doesn't. RTFM. I've been using the same Ignitor 1 w/ full battery voltage for 20 years now, a stock generator charging system that runs 14+ volts at cruise, and it's never missed a beat. Pertronix recommends using the factory ballast when retaining a stock ignition coil. They would actually prefer the Ignitor be used without a ballast otherwise, afaik.

Same thing will happen with points & condenser, btw, if the points just happen to be closed. It's something to keep in mind, but it isn't a show stopper. It isn't going to nuke itself instantly, it takes a dedicated bonehead move.

15. Here in the above reply's is the best reason to call the Tec Line. There is more than one upgrade since Pertronix started making product. Each bit of information is probably correct to each user but may not be correct for what you actually have in hand. If you search a bit you'll also find people that have had Total failure due to not having correct info for what they have but quick to blame Pertronix unit directly. Dodge the bullet and go to the right source, 909-599-5955.

firstinsteele and Cosmo50 like this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

This one does have a resistor.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

1956 and earlier points are straight 57 and later are kind of S shaped

Truck64 likes this.
  18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pertronix Ignitor II & III it is required to bypass the OEM resistor.

Pertronix Ignitor I it is recommended to bypass the OEM resistor whenever possible for maximum output.

The reason the Ignitor I probably has "complaints" is because dumb shits purchase the wrong coil, or don't measure the primary resistance, or both, etc. RTFM.

This is straight from their included instructions. If that ain't the right source, I don't know what is.