Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shane’s 34...choppity chop chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Over the years every 32' with a steel top I have owned has been chopped. However, it takes a brave man to put a saw to a surviving unchopped old Ford. Think long and hard before you do!

2. exterminator

exterminator

I like them both ways but I would drive it a while the way it is before I would do anything.

ffr1222k likes this.
  3. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

As you get older you will live to regret chopping that roof.

hotrodjack33 and ffr1222k like this.
  4. Cool car..I always feel the need to "make it my own", but that car chopping the top isn't one of the changes I would make.

ffr1222k likes this.
  5. BJR

BJR

I can see chopping one that came out of the woods and was laying on it's side for 40 years.... But I would not chop a great looking car like you have. Just drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. There are plenty of chopped ones out there to look at, have you ever driven a chopped 34?

ffr1222k, MMM1693 and loudbang like this.
  6. Chopped 34 5wc, doesn’t get any better.

BAILEIGH INC likes this.
  7. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NO!!! Leave it alone.

ffr1222k, Joemama and loudbang like this.
  8. Dirk35

Dirk35

I would chop it (well... have it chopped). But only a mild chop 2-to-2 1/2 max.

Its a difficult decision because you have shiny paint and matching paint is really hard. Luckily, you can have them use those cameras that give the paint code, and if you mask it at the belt line and base of the A Pillars, any slight difference in the paint color wont really be noticeable and you wont have to do the pain of blending across a flat panel.

Oh yeah, I can confirm, you will have to lean forward to see stop lights if you don't lean the A Pillars back. So less might be better. Like someone else said, take tape a line of tape at the top of the windshield the amount you plan to chop it, then drive it around a while with the top couple of inches of your windshield blocked off.

My suggestion, do what you want to do, not what we want you to do. For some of us in our stages in life, we just want to get out and drive them. For some of others, we don't mind on-going projects, or having a delay in a current vehicle getting back to running condition.

Its a great looking car, whether you chop it or not. We can give you our opinions, but you have to make up your own decision based on your current wants, desires, personal tastes, and your current life situation.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  9. I'm a old fart and have had chopped cars in the past, I'm over that now. HRP

10. Snipe

Snipe

I couldn't either, but I'd have a big smile on my face. No chop! Just my opinion, but you can't go too far wrong unless you go crazy with the chop.

ffr1222k likes this.
  11. 34Larry

34Larry

Difference of opinion here. Brain B... editoir and top dog guy at Street Rodder told me Hi. Boys (not that yours will be) dont run cowl lights. Told him mine does and looks damned good. The antenna is recessed right behind the B piller on the passenger side and it looks damned good also.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I don't think anyone here gives a shit what Brian B says.

thirtytwo likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

Damn, car is too sexy as it sits to go under the knife.

ffr1222k and loudbang like this.
  14. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

No Chop for me

ffr1222k and loudbang like this.
  15. It depends on your hat and shoe size. The next generation is already bigger than the last one.

VANDENPLAS, clem and loudbang like this.
  16. Jokester

Jokester

Why didn't you just buy a chopped one? I'd think chopped ones would be more plentiful than an uncut one.

My opinion. Do what you like.

.bjb

hotrodjack33, clem and ffr1222k like this.
  17. It's beautiful just the way it is! No chop for me!

ffr1222k, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I vote chopped, but a max of about 4" along the lines of flamedaboner's. The angle chop you shared is hammered a bit too much IMHO.
    As mentioned; will you fit and be comfortable in it chopped? You'll have to lower the seat and move it back. If you have doubts, pull the seat and mock up a low seat with plywood, etc. for a trial drive, before you swing the axe.
    If you do chop it, the resto rod gingerbread (cowl lights, swan neck mirrors, greyhound, stock headlights, antenna) should get the deep six for it to "work", as well as lowering the front end another inch or two. My 2 cents.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@flatnasty cut the one you like I believe. Give him a call to cut it I believe he’s setting up shop ;)

loudbang likes this.
  20. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

This is what keeps me up at night. It’s mean and looks pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

This guy....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and Tim like this.
  22. It's a given you'll need to lower the seat if you cut the top. As has also been said, mock up your car by removing the seat and put a shorter temp seat in...tape the top of the glass including side glass and see if you like it before breaking out the cutting tools. I would also tape in a lowered headliner [maybe thin wood paneling?] to represent the lowered top.
    I would have done all these things before I cut the top of my coupe but someone had already cut the top off my body before I found it.
    Mine's got a 3.5" chop and I totally LOVE it! Seats are low so I have no problem seeing traffic lights.
    I set my car up to fit me as I assembled the body. I'm 5'9" with short legs and long body.....Not trying to sell you on a chop, just letting you know how I like mine.
    34top1.jpg 34lake1.jpg 34inside7_18.jpg

23. Not sure why the black lines in the text above...

loudbang likes this.
  24. Love that look, chop, chop, chop!! 115.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

I'd leave your sexy girlfriend alone......no implants, botox, or facelift required.
    Her lines look fine just the way she is!!!! Sweet looking car!!

loudbang and ffr1222k like this.
  26. 1938chev

1938chev

chop? if you cant leave it alone channel it, us east coast or aussie style

sawbuck likes this.
  27. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

That chop sucks.

VANDENPLAS and hotrodjack33 like this.
  28. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Angle chop if you must, but I think I would leave it alone( with your companionship of course):):rolleyes::D

loudbang likes this.
  29. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be curious to see pictures of that Foxy Lady before she was cherried out. May be a whole lot's already been goin on under that Shiny Black Coat.

She is a little tall tho.

30. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Option 1: leave it alone, it's perfect already.
    Option 2: see below.

[​IMG]