Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model 40 (1933 - 1934 Ford) Rolling Chassis IDEAS to spark new IDEAS Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tuck, Mar 16, 2017.

1. What do you mean? I posted pics of my frame with a ton of new ideas differing from the norm. Not one question on any of my mods. Fixing stock is so much easier (boring)

Toms Dogs, ls1yj, rod1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Far be it from me to point out the obvious, but what did you expect on a traditional hot rod forum? . Traditional hot rod stuff, or Factory Five chassis blueprints?

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

This is not paint by number, there lots of neat ideas out there.

Everybody knows what a stock chassis with a drop axle and a reverse eye spring looks like.

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Would be interesting to see a 34 chassis with a swept frame and tube front crossmember set up for a far more race inspired vibe.

I do like the one posed with the full cage. That says hot rod!

5. I'd like to do spring in front on the front of mine but thinking about a bulldog type perch off the front of the crossmember to keep the wheelbase stockish. Anyone have any pics of that??

Tuck and dumprat like this.
  6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That should make for a low ride height. I like the idea. You could use unsplit wishbones as well.

cactus1 likes this.
  7. Nice stuff! That looks to be about a 10-71 blower on the SBC - is it stripped? How much boost are you planning to throw at it? Are you running a crank with a BBC snout? I'd be a bit nervous about running that blower on a SBC snout. :)

Is this a 100% drag car - sure looks to be. What are the specs on the engine, trans, etc..

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

9. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

No sorry, it is not currently for sale. I was attempting to share about my project, had tech issues and got busy. The frame had been for sale last year at the father's day show, didn't sale and I got it in a partial 27 T trade.

Sent from my SM-G550T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. titus

titus

my 34 coupe was plastered all over the internet for sale, Me and Marcy talked to each other about it and thought there was some potential to make some money on it after cleaner it up, so we went in together and bought it, but on the way home i figured i had to have it, so i traded her a project i had to cover her half and then some on the coupe. Then i dug into it and changed pretty much everything from the B pillars forward, i still need to dig into the rear suspension but it works for now. the fender are staying, ive been playing with shaping them up a bit but havnt gotten to far on that.

100_8883.JPG 1978741_10203197821536154_1691440083_n.jpg
    it had a 40 front crossmember bolted in and a 40 front suspension, so i ditched all that, i put a stock 34 member back in it but slid it forward one set of bolt holes to make some more clearance for that big stupid hemi! lol i then modified the wishbone mount and basically bolted in a stock 34 wishbone.

downsized_0330040135.jpg 0329041947.jpg

rod1, 29EHV8, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  11. So...not to belabor the subject, but, regarding the '41 frame under a '33/'34...is it ONLY the '41 that will work or will any of the '41 through '48 frames work? And to go one step further, would a Mercury frame work as well?

Steve

12. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

It's a 14-71 teflon stripped. Alcohol 406 cu in, Dart block, Brodix heads , Isky cam'd, TD shaft rockers, MSD 20 amp mag, Cola crank , Manley rods ,14-71 magnesium Blower, mag Enderle square bird injector. Turbo 400 w/ b+m series 60 shifter, solid driveshaft, solid mounted 9" braced. Strange nodular iron 3rd member, 35 spline axles. It will be a dedicated drag car.

Here it is with the body on the chassis.
    [​IMG]

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

WOW bitchen race car and kinda reminds me of that blue 34 with the big slicks and wicked chop

14. Reet thread! Lotsa kill ideas! Cant wait to dig into a '34 I just got and brought home.
    I will post some work that we have planned to do to it.

-Shiny

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. shortypu

shortypu

16. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanted to keep my stock 33 front beam axel and was wondering the best way to lower the front. Flatten the cross member or change it. If I move it forward 1" or more will it look strange? I really did not want to cut the fire wall. The car is from scrap pieces but it does get tiresome welding just for no real reason.

17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Any progress on this thread?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

No, unfortunately life gets in the way. I purchased the home beside me and it took me 18 months to rebuild it. Also my Hobby members are difficult to say no to when they have issues with their rides. I have been working on my 41 pickup and when that is finished I will get back on the Roadster.

cactus1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any further info on a swap like this fellas? If its achievable quite a simple way to get later V8, brakes etc etc

20. Why not get a drop axle and reverse the eyes on your spring? That'll lower the front without changing the crossmember.

As for lengthening your wheelbase, I have a 34 frame that we pushed the front crossmember 1.5" and it looks fine. Though it's fenderless. Couldn't say how it would look/work with fenders.

21. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks speedy I have a lot of differing thoughts on the subject. I have a couple dropped axles but I am looking to change direction. Split bones and 4" dropped axel on it now. 1940 torque tube rear have a 1952 truck 3 speed top loader and 331 Cadillac in the assembly stages. I will probably stay with the original plan.

22. Speedy Canuck,
    Are you running the hood and grill with the xmember pushed forward 1.5"

-Shiny

23. I was going to, yes. Have to make up a new hood and hoodsides, but when I mocked up with the hood and sides that I had, it didn't look bad at all.

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Why not just put the crossmember in the stock location and mount the spring behind the axle?

25. That lengthens the wheelbase, but doesn't gain any extra space for fitting the engine.

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_1636.JPG Must be a long engine. The hemi fits in place of the stock flathead junk. And that's in a truck that has shorter engine bay than a car.

27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just enough in this pile to build a whole chassis.

[​IMG]

Nothing fancy, big Pontiac, automatic and a quickie.

[​IMG]

Body was a bit of a puzzle also.

[​IMG]

Turned out OK though.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

rod1, -Brent-, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  28. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

What a Bad Ass Hot Rod !!

Rich

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

30. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Anything new ?