Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old letters - new font

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by xnology, May 1, 2018.

1. xnology

xnology
    from Idaho

2. BJR

BJR

I was in the printing business for over 40 years, no offense, but the last thing this world needs is another font. There are way more then enough fonts now in the world to go around. I know you didn't ask. :D

alanp561, henryj1951 and xnology like this.
  3. xnology

xnology
    from Idaho

I remember paste up when it was the super cool waxing machine! Good times - back when you had to have skills with either an x-acto or a pencil to get art done.

4. alchemy

alchemy

30 years ago I used to work paste-up at a newspaper. Went home many nights with more wax on my hands than a candle factory.

xnology likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I love it actually... Nicely done.

I started my graphic design career doing fonts. In fact, interesting story...

In 1999 or so, I decided to make a digital font out of the typeface used on federal road signs. Once done, I put it on my personal site. From there, it was "stolen" by a number of different foundries and sold as the "Interstate" typeface.

To this day, when you buy the font from some places the zip file still includes my signature.

It's the main font used on headlines for this site and lots of other stuff I do.

ct1932ford, alanp561, Jimmy and 8 others like this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Been in the printing business since 1972 (actually started in school running ditto machines) with; Linotype machines, Ludlow machine, sweeping the lose lead off the floor and into the dross bucket.
    I have over 5000 fonts on my Mac and I love them all. There is never enough fonts, just not enough places to use them, I wish I was better at it. I used to get the House Font catalogs and treasured them all. Too many fonts is like saying too many 32 Ford.
    Keep em coming, now if I only knew how to 'steal' Insomnia and add it to my collection,,,,,

xnology likes this.
  7. NoSurf

NoSurf

Here is an old letterhead I found for my Aunt's farm I lived at for awhile here in NH. I believe the font is S'Vous Plait? Used for wedding invitations. I did some research on it when I found it. SHF-letterhead.jpg

Not sure of the age of the printing, as I don't know when the telephone #s switched to 7 digits.

ct1932ford and xnology like this.
  8. Does any know the name of the font? 52Firepower-.jpg

xnology likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's hand drawn type and not a typeface... you might be able to find something close though...

10. xnology

xnology
    from Idaho

It's possible to engineer a font from those letters. That's what I did from a tailgate...

11. xnology

xnology
    from Idaho

If you can't find something close enough.

12. Is there an easier way than sifting through 1,000,000 fonts online? i searched last year and didn't find what i was looking for. i have a sneaky plan for some emblems on the Plym in my avatar.

13. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

No kidding and hand setting from the california job case (drawer) to the chase ... pica 'RULES" LOL

55Belairman likes this.
  14. xnology

xnology
    from Idaho

There is always an easier way. 15 seconds on fontsquirrel.com upload your image and this is a really good font to start with...

PUMA.jpg

The link to download it:

https://www.fontzillion.com/fonts/samuel-park/my-puma

I would start there and nodify the letters that don't necessarily look quite right.

15. Thanks, that's why you've got to ask a pro once in a while.

catdad49 likes this.
  16. Latigo

Latigo

image.jpg image.jpg Or you can go Old Skool. Published 1945. Anyone remember the old wooden type?

17. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

Can anyone recommend a versatile computer program to do lettering? Thanks

18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I agree with BJR when he said the following,

I was in the printing business for over 40 years, no offense, but the last thing this world needs is another font. There are way more then enough fonts now in the world to go around. I know you didn't ask. :D

I am a graphic designer and I have about 11,000 different fonts and there are thousands more but I find I really only use a few hundred of all the fonts I have.

Jimbo

19. xnology

xnology
    from Idaho

I only have around 3,500 collected fonts. I also only use a handful regularly.

Every once in awhile, I still like creating the ones that never existed as fonts when they are based on lettering that I have enjoyed.

I am thinking about making a custom tailgate for my old rust bucket. That's the main reason I threw this together.

20. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

I know it's not the same thing but as someone who was in the sign business, sign painters who pushed a brush all had their own styles and you could recognize who did certain signs by their distinctive characteristics. I got in the business at the tail end of the hand lettered sign, once the computers got a foothold it was lights out for a lot of sign painters. Lots of great fonts available today, I could probably run a sign business with 20 fonts or less. It is a shame after going through all the sweat & tears to design a font when it gets stolen. There was a good documentary on the vanishing hand done letterpress industry, can't remember the name but I'm sure Google could point interested parties in the right direction.

21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh, the days of Amberlith and Rubylith and X-Acto knives and Chartpack rub on lettering, are way in the past for me. The entire art of true calligraphy is something that this newer generation will never know of! I had to teach myself how to drive a Speedball B-3 nibb to do pen and ink artwork, I am sure that is why my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be. So glad that digital element and computers are now the norm. So much easier.
    Speedball B-3 Nibb.JPG Beechcraft B logo.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  22. Terranova

Terranova

I know this is gonna come off as a dick move, but it's not meant to be that way at all.

Wikipedia has an entry on the "interstate" font and apparently, just like car stuff, you think you're doing something fairly unique, but some other guy, somewhere else, is thinking very similarly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_(typeface)

I did a handwriting font using a sharpie in Coreldraw and have seen several similar, but not exact fonts like it.

My dad started hand lettering signs and cars in the 50's after serving in the air force. I grew up watching him hand letter stuff till computers started cutting vinyl in the early 80's and then desktop stuff in the 90's

A couple notable cars he did are the dogcather (Willys Panel) and one or two of George Montgomerys Malco cars.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    alanp561 likes this.
  23. FergusonJes

FergusonJes

I actually think that is a nice font.

24. Isn't the word,"font" itself an iteration of the word "fountain" which brings to mind an endless gushing forth of water(letters)? Can you have too many fonts? As a friend of mine used to say:"NOTHING is too much.....if it's PROPERLY OVERDONE!" Said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

alanp561 likes this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found several definitions for font. ( 1 ) a receptacle of reservoir for fluids and ( 2 ) a spring or fountain. What comes to mind more readily is the phrase , " they dip down into the font of wisdom ". We wouldn't learn much without fonts, whatever the style.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  26. With the availability of fonts, it's too bad the major aftermarket gauge companies can't find any that ACTUALLY look like they are vintage. I've seen very few that you could put in a dash and have them meld into the period theme.

27. FergusonJes

FergusonJes

I actually think that is a nice font. You can definitely see that you put effort into it. Anyway, I think it’s very difficult to come up with something like this, because in my opinion, calligraphy is an amazing art that requires precision. I use fonts in my current job because I am responsible for designing websites interfaces. I am actually more into minimalistic approaches that funky fonts for example, but still, I like to play around. Recently, I found out about this website https://upfonts.com/smash-bros-font/, where I can download a lot of beautiful custom fonts. They have a big variety and it’s easy to use.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  28. That is a great font- how do you get it made into a stencil? I should letter up some farm wagons.